Topic: Bamboo arrow spine

Hello,
I'm using 55-65# bamboo shafts but my arrows are breaking in the middle.
What spine do I need for a 45# bow (SMG artificial horn bow) with thumb ring release?
Olivier

Thumbs up

Re: Bamboo arrow spine

Hmmm...  I'm guessing they are breaking at the node, which ends up being weak, due to each chamber having to be pierced to let steam out during the heat treating process.  Where were they made?

To get directly to your question, 55-65# arrows shouldn't be breaking.  Also, bamboo arrows tend to be very spine forgiving in comparison to carbon or wood; I regularly shot 70# spine bamboos from 50# bows with no problems whatsoever.  Also, keep in mind that, with a thumb ring, you are shooting about 3" more than with fingers, so if the arrows are spined at a certain weight, it was probably also at 28" (not 31").

Thumbs up

Thanks Thomas. I m using 55-60# actually. Yes, they breack at the node. I m shooting at a straw target at 12 meters for training. I buy shafts from an ebay seller in UK , the shafts have Tiger marked on them.

Thumbs up

Olivier Coulazou wrote:

Thanks Thomas. I m using 55-60# actually. Yes, they breack at the node. I m shooting at a straw target at 12 meters for training. I buy shafts from an ebay seller in UK , the shafts have Tiger marked on them.

I've used Tiger shafts, they are ok but are mass produced therefore quality from shaft to shaft can vary ... a lot. Same thing goes for the weight. He has followed the 'spine' direction, I think he'd be better off selling shafts by weight.
He does tend to indulge in self gratification, constantly endorsing his methods. However my own experience is they are brittle and prone to damage.

At 12m I'd guess the arrow has not righted itself enough and is hitting the target at an angle and the whiplash effect is snapping the shaft. This is what happened when I shot a close target.

Check each shaft very carefully, looking for signs of fracture or other potential problem. I've found some with longitudinal splits between the fibres and others with stress fractures. Anyone who has prepared bamboo shafts for arrows will recognise these fractures as areas that fail during straightening.

So, these shafts are ok but do check them thoroughly.

Thumbs up

In line with what Hun said, I'd be wary of Tiger shafts.  Although I have never had personal experience with them, many of my expert friends who have give them a wide berth.  Truly, you get what you pay for.  If you want some excellent quality bamboo shafts, contact Jaap Koppedrayer; he not only has them, he grows them and hand picks them!  His bows and arrows are works of art.

Thumbs up

What about bamboo shafts from Korea? I read that they are the best one can find... Anyway shipping cost to France might be prohibitive, as well as Jaap Koppedrayer's I fear...

Thumbs up

Shipping is not cheap, that is true (For a dozen shafts, figure about $35-40 from Korea).  Plus, the base cost for the raw shafts can add up ($2-3/each).  However, you are correct that the quality is excellent.  You still might like to try Jaap; he has excellent bamboo--it can't hurt to ask.

Thumbs up

Just received new bamboo shafts with spine 75-80#!

I switched to 11/32 arrow points to fit larger diameter of the shaft. Those points are 120 gr instead of 100 gr on my former arrows.

New arrows hit the target with no angle, but 10 cm to the right, due to higher spine I guess. So far so good, I didn't break today wink

Thumbs up +1

Olivier, did you get the new shafts from Jaap?  Any photos?

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Not that fast smile I was refering to shafts I ordered 2 weeks ago from my ebay supplier in UK. These are not marked "Tiger", allthough.

If I order shafts from Jaap, which may happen when I'm fixed with the spine I need, I will post some pictures.

Thumbs up

Are those shafts you ordered from the UK from Mark Hill?

Olivier Coulazou wrote:
WarBow wrote:

Not that fast smile I was refering to shafts I ordered 2 weeks ago from my ebay supplier in UK. These are not marked "Tiger", allthough.

If I order shafts from Jaap, which may happen when I'm fixed with the spine I need, I will post some pictures.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Are those shafts you ordered from the UK from Mark Hill?

Yes they are.

Thumbs up

I don't know if things have recently changed but the shafts are from the same supplier. Tiger supplies Mark Hill.

Thumbs up

I ordered two dozens high spine bamboo shafts from Mark last year.  They didn't come with Tiger's marks though.

Thumbs up

Any updates from Olivier?  Are the new shafts holding up?

Thumbs up

16 (edited by Olivier Coulazou 2013-01-26 09:21:33)

Things are much better now, the 75-80# shafts never breack when hitting the target, whatever distance.
I also noticed that the thread wrapped at the end of the rachis would worn more slowly than with former shaft.

Spine 75-80# is ok for a 45# bow with thumb release.

Still, I want to try some higher spines (80-85#, 85-90#), this is in my 2013 todo list  smile

Thumbs up

17 (edited by Olivier Coulazou 2013-01-30 06:24:22)

Here are some pictures of my self-made bamboo arrows. The ones with grey feathers are higher spine.

Post's attachments

DSC_7928.JPG 815.19 kb, 4 downloads since 2013-01-30 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Second attachment

Post's attachments

IMG_20120817_111825.jpg 1.33 mb, 1 downloads since 2013-01-30 

Thumbs up

Your comments are welcome (there ain't many bamboo arrow maker around here)

Post's attachments

IMG_20120817_112207.jpg 1.43 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up +1

That's very nice, Olivier!   big_smile   Did you use the Vario feather chopper to shape the feather?  Are those Top Hat field points?

Thumbs up

Tip for cutting fletchings.
Cut the fletching to the required length and glue them to the arrow. Apply masking tape to both sides of the feather. Make a template of your choice and mark around this with a pen. Using a nice sharp scissors, cut around the shape and then peel off the remaining tape to reveal the fletching.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

That's very nice, Olivier!   big_smile   Did you use the Vario feather chopper to shape the feather?  Are those Top Hat field points?

Thanks! I made my own feather burner. Home made feather burners are another topic wink ...

You are right, I use Tophat points, they are simply twisted on the shaft (no glue).
http://www.tophatarchery.com/

Olivier

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

Tip for cutting fletchings.
Cut the fletching to the required length and glue them to the arrow. Apply masking tape to both sides of the feather. Make a template of your choice and mark around this with a pen. Using a nice sharp scissors, cut around the shape and then peel off the remaining tape to reveal the fletching.

Thanks, I'll have a try!

Thumbs up

Just got some 100 cm shafts from oulay bamboo today.
They came very straight, polished and spine rated.
I will try them very soon.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2013-02-26141701.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2013-02-26141640.jpg

Thumbs up

Sissara, that will last you a long time!  Happy archery!   big_smile

Thumbs up