Topic: question about right arrow length and shaft/arrow suppliers on ebay

As a total beginner I would like to ask a couple of questions and hopefully someone can help:

When I ordered my Korean bow I did order also a dozen arrows with it. I had calculated my drawlength by measuring from one tip of my middlefinger to the other while holding my arms stretched out and apart and then dividing it by 2.5, which resulted in a drawlength of 28 inches for me.

The archery store recommended that I buy 28.5 inch long arrows, which I did. But I am not sure if it is really the right length for me and if the method I used is right for Korean traditional archery. If anyone could advice me that would be really great.

The other thing is, that once I know for sure what the right arrowlength/drawlength for me is, I do want to buy or make my own bamboo arrows. I've seen on ebay offers of people selling finished bamboo arrows (like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6x-Trad-ARRO … 2321fbc612) as-well as bamboo shafts (like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25pcs-Hexsha … 589587f4a0).

But I am a little cautious with ebay purchases and wanted to see if anyone had experience with buying shafts or complete arrows from ebay and if it is a safe option. And maybe you can recommend me a good quality seller.

Thumbs up

Re: question about right arrow length and shaft/arrow suppliers on ebay

It really depends upon if you are going to shoot using fingers or a thumb ring.  If fingers, the "standard" length is 28", but it's about 3" more (31") if you plan to use a thumb ring.  The measurement is usually made by stretching out your bow hand in a fist and measuring from the far outside of the fist to either your chin (fingers) or +3" (thumb ring).    The arrow is usually about an inch longer than the draw length.

Regarding bamboo arrows, be careful of those sold at a cheap price; you truly get what you pay for.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by sissara 2012-09-12 04:09:21)

I usually get 32-33" arrows. Too long shaft wont hurt.
I would start with carbon arrows as they are more durable and safe for beginners.
Chinese and korean bamboo arrows are ten times different in both price and quality.
But, so far, my chinese bamboo arrows are shoot ok in 3D match.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

It really depends upon if you are going to shoot using fingers or a thumb ring.  If fingers, the "standard" length is 28", but it's about 3" more (31") if you plan to use a thumb ring.  The measurement is usually made by stretching out your bow hand in a fist and measuring from the far outside of the fist to either your chin (fingers) or +3" (thumb ring).    The arrow is usually about an inch longer than the draw length.

Regarding bamboo arrows, be careful of those sold at a cheap price; you truly get what you pay for.

Thanks for the information, currently I lack a thumb-ring, but with sissara's help I hope to change that situation. I definitely want to shoot with a thumb-ring. I will use your method to remeasure my draw-length to make sure my future arrows are the right length.

I also will be careful where and what I buy when shopping for bamboo arrows, I really hope that someone can recommend a source that is of a reasonable quality but not too expensive. As I am still learning and so far already managed to lose 5 of my 12 arrows  sad   I want to get some that will fly relative straight, but won't hurt the wallet to bad when I lose them. At least until I get better, later on I do want to get better ones.

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

I would start with carbon arrows as they are more durable and safe for beginners.
Chinese and korean bamboo arrows are ten times different in both price and quality.

Are carbon arrows cheaper then bamboo ones? And did you get your chinese bamboo arrows from ebay or a particular supplier sir?

Thumbs up

Felidae wrote:
sissara wrote:

Are carbon arrows cheaper then bamboo ones? And did you get your chinese bamboo arrows from ebay or a particular supplier sir?

I recommend starting out with carbons, as they are, definitely, cheaper than bamboo (at least good quality ones).

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

I recommend starting out with carbons, as they are, definitely, cheaper than bamboo (at least good quality ones).

Thank you I will look into a set of new carbon arrows once I got a thumb ring  smile

And interestingly once I used your mentioned method to recalculate my drawlength it worked out to be 29"+3"

Thumbs up

Felidae,
Where do you practice? It is VERY easy to lose arrows!! Grass does not need to be long and with other vegetation and without a natural backstop, finding stray arrows becomes an art.

With this in mind, I'd advise buying carbons only when you are confident in your ability, they are cheaper than quality Korean bamboo arrows but they are way too expensive to lose. If you intend to use your thumb, do it now, it is totally different and using a Mediterranean draw and then trying to switch will be more difficult due to muscle memory. You will also probably lose more arrows as well.
Making a thumb ring from leather is simple and the result is very effective. It's all I use.

Thumbs up