Topic: Hwarang Bows Group Purchase

I am putting together a group purchase for heavy-weight Hwarang bows (with real bark).  Our group need one more person to make the purchase possible.  Anyone interested in a 90# to 100# Hwarang bow?

Thumbs up

Re: Hwarang Bows Group Purchase

WarBow wrote:

I am putting together a group purchase for heavy-weight Hwarang bows (with real bark).  Our group need one more person to make the purchase possible.  Anyone interested in a 90# to 100# Hwarang bow?

WarBow,
I'd be interested but need some more info. I assume these are SMG bows since you added "real bark" which SMG doesn't normally use. And is the draw weight at 28 inches draw?  Is this an export or Korean tiller? Is overdraw, say to 32 Inches possible? In a 90 lb bow ( which is the weight I would be interested in ) that should put draw weight well over 100 lbs. most important what is the projected cost?

Thumbs up

Tony, I'm assuming you meant "YMG" up above.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Tony, I'm assuming you meant "YMG" up above.

Thomas,
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. I was thinking YMG does use real bark on their bows but limits their Hwarangs to 70 lbs. These are the ones you normally sell, is that correct? They come without markings which is forgivable given their awesome performance. I was assuming Warbow made the point of real bark because he had gotten SMG which seems to have a broader spectrum of bows to put real bark on this special order. I probably read too much into the remark, if so mea culpa.
BTW the 70 pounder I recently bought from you is a monster. It punches a blunt hunting tip on a  carbon tech arrow entirely through a straw bale. Difficult to use on the horse though. Not used to the weight yet.
It does seem to have a slight off tiller toward the arrow which apparently does not affect the performance. This slight off tiller thing is an intriguing concept which gets mention in Karpowitz's book on Ottoman Turkish bows as well as in this forum. Why do the bowmakers do it? Does it compensate for string oscillation caused by the thumb release?
Cheers,
Tony

Thumbs up

Tony, the bow in question is indeed the YMG.  The 80# YMG can be drawn to 32" without issues.  We will ask for the export version.

Thumbs up

Tony,

The reason I said that is because you put "SMG" twice.  Yes, YMG uses only real birch bark, while SMG does not.

T

Thumbs up

May I know if >90 lb bows are historically used?

Thumbs up

8 (edited by WarBow 2012-11-11 00:18:29)

Sissara, here is a photo of a Korean warbow.

Post's attachments

Old Korean Military Bow 1.jpg 47.58 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

I'm sure somebody used them, but I don't have any specific info on it.

Thumbs up

Does any commercial archery company make arrows spined for a 90 to 100 lb traditional bow anymore? I've heard Easton used to make aluminum shafts for very high weight bows but the market now is probably miniscule. I've also heard of individuals slipping a thin weaker spined shaft into a larger diameter heavy spined shaft to combine their stiffness for very heavy bows. Anyone experienced with that?
Cheers,
Tonygt19

Thumbs up

Tony,

You are correct about Trad archer putting carbon shafts within aluminium shafts to make the whole able to take 100# or more.  There are a few carbon arrow brands that are 100# capable shafts:

(1) Gold Tip
(2) Alaska Bow Hunting Supply
(3) Arrow Dynamics

Thumbs up

Okay, not so good news . . . The bowyer thinks 90# - 100# @28

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Okay, not so good news . . . The bowyer thinks 90# - 100# @28

I found out more info (I messaged you again on FB).  I'll repeat it here:

I received clarification from my wife about what the bowyer meant. The reason why he doesn't want to do higher draw weights is because his employees can't draw them and they have to be checked out by hand. However, with that said, my wife will check and see if 90# @28" is possible.

Thumbs up

The bowyer said 90# @28" is possible.

Thumbs up

Im interested.

Thanks,
Joe

WarBow wrote:

Thumbs up

The bowyer is waiting for an answer, as making heavier draw weight bows requires extra planning and effort.  If none is given soon, I will have to tell him not to bother.

Thumbs up

17 (edited by WarBow 2012-11-20 03:04:49)

Waiting for others to respond publicly.  Thomas, please state the payment terms, price and delivery information.  Other members who are interested, please pay Thomas directly.

Thomas, one member wants to have very clear signature of the bowyer, draw weight and date of production marked on the bow.  Will the bowyer be able to accomodate?  For the member who wants the bowyer's markings, we are all ordering regular length and centrer tillered YMG.  I don't think it's a good idea to have an odd ball long length order and two regular length.  Thomas, what do you think?

Thomas, our Holland friend got sceptical and decided to skip for now.  He joked back by saying he could help out the bowyer to tiller very heavy bow  big_smile .

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Waiting for others to respond publicly.  Thomas, please state the payment terms, price and delivery information.  Other members who are interested, please pay Thomas directly.

Thomas, one member wants to have very clear signature of the bowyer, draw weight and date of production marked on the bow.  Will the bowyer be able to accomodate?  For the member who wants the bowyer's markings, we are all ordering regular length and centrer tillered YMG.  I don't think it's a good idea to have an odd ball long length order and two regular length.  Thomas, what do you think?

Thomas, our Holland friend got sceptical and decided to skip for now.  He joked back by saying he could help out the bowyer to tiller very heavy bow  big_smile .

At this point, the price I believe to be the same as other bows over 70#: $100 extra.  So, $550 each.  The price includes the bow, two bowstrings, bow sock and shipping from Korea.  Payment can be by either PayPal (to my e-mail address: goongdo@hotmail.com) or a bank check (US funds, drawn on a US bank) to my US address:

7687 S. Pleasantview Rd.
Harbor Springs, MI  49740
USA

Delivery is, typically, 4-8 weeks after ordering; it can vary depending upon the bowyer's backlog and shipping schedule.

If the bows are the same type (regular, instead of the janggung, it will make things easier.

Regarding marking--I can ask.  I know he's done similar before, so I don't think it should be a problem. 

T

Thumbs up

Count me in.

Thumbs up

Once I have all the orders together--including payment--I can place them with the bowyer.

Thumbs up

Done. smile

Thumbs up

Justin Ma wrote:

Done. smile

I received your payment Justin--thanks!  Now, we need to get the others, so that I know how many bows to ask the bowyer to make  smile

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Honestly fellas, when I read that a group purchase would be made, then I was hoping the price would be near a 100.00 US dollars less because of a group rate.

That being said, I have a bow on order from Justin Ma and a bow due at anytime from Lukas Novotny. So this is a little out of reach for me now.

I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

sincerely,
Joseph

Thumbs up

raven wrote:
WarBow wrote:

Honestly fellas, when I read that a group purchase would be made, then I was hoping the price would be near a 100.00 US dollars less because of a group rate.

That being said, I have a bow on order from Justin Ma and a bow due at anytime from Lukas Novotny. So this is a little out of reach for me now.

I apologize if this causes any inconvenience.

sincerely,
Joseph

No problem, Joseph.  The extra cost (and not a discount) is because that is what I'm charged extra by the bowyer. 

Thomas

Thumbs up

Done!   smile

Thumbs up