Topic: Korean bamboo arrows parameters

Hi, this is my first post so please take care of me.

My name is Mateusz, I'm from Poland, and lately my interest in korean traditional archery have grown.

Till now I have been shooting only with some traditional long bows and laminated long bows with little reflex, but since none of those i really suitable for shooting with thumb ring I'm planning to buy Hwarang via Thomas, but I don't want to hurry wink, so for now i was thinking on making some korean bamboo arrows.

I think I know basics about arrow-making, and korean arrows, but still there are thing I'm curious about. Untill I'll be rich enough to buy real korean bamboo shafts, or patient to grow them by my self, I'll be using those from Tiger. I already have pheasant feathers for fletchings.

Gettin back to the topic, things I don't know... What was the shape and dimensions of fletching? Where can I get some bush clover for nocks, or what can I use instead to be correct as much as possible? How koreans attached their arrows to the shafts? Only by using sinew and fish bladder glue, or was it something more complex/different? Which tree bark they used to protect the arrows against humidity, how they did it and which parts of the arrow they protected? How they protected the tip of the arrow (near arrowhead)? Only by sinew? Was the fletching straight, or has it some offset, or even maybe hellical set? And i think last question, how where the arrows balanced?

Thank You for patience,
Mateusz

Thumbs up

Re: Korean bamboo arrows parameters

Sindsoron wrote:

Hi, this is my first post so please take care of me.

My name is Mateusz, I'm from Poland, and lately my interest in korean traditional archery have grown.

Till now I have been shooting only with some traditional long bows and laminated long bows with little reflex, but since none of those i really suitable for shooting with thumb ring I'm planning to buy Hwarang via Thomas, but I don't want to hurry wink, so for now i was thinking on making some korean bamboo arrows.

I think I know basics about arrow-making, and korean arrows, but still there are thing I'm curious about. Untill I'll be rich enough to buy real korean bamboo shafts, or patient to grow them by my self, I'll be using those from Tiger. I already have pheasant feathers for fletchings.

Gettin back to the topic, things I don't know... What was the shape and dimensions of fletching? Where can I get some bush clover for nocks, or what can I use instead to be correct as much as possible? How koreans attached their arrows to the shafts? Only by using sinew and fish bladder glue, or was it something more complex/different? Which tree bark they used to protect the arrows against humidity, how they did it and which parts of the arrow they protected? How they protected the tip of the arrow (near arrowhead)? Only by sinew? Was the fletching straight, or has it some offset, or even maybe hellical set? And i think last question, how where the arrows balanced?

Thank You for patience,
Mateusz

It annoyed me that no one responded to you. I hate it when people do that.

Here's a pic I got from Atarn.net:

Post's attachments

Dimensions.jpg 394.85 kb, 4 downloads since 2014-03-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

lcooper wrote:

Sadly, December 27, 2012 was the day my mom died, so I was kind of out of it for a while (and I didn't see many things that were posted around that time).

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
lcooper wrote:

Sadly, December 27, 2012 was the day my mom died, so I was kind of out of it for a while (and I didn't see many things that were posted around that time).

I am not blaming you, there are plenty of people on here to reply; I am sorry what happened Thomas, I can't imagine...I am sorry to hear that.

But hopefully my diagram helped the poster.

You'll see your mother again.

Thumbs up