Topic: bamboo for bows, Please advise

Hello sirs,

I'm from Ukraine.
I make bamboo bows himself.
Since bamboo does not grow in the Ukraine, I buy it in building supermarkets. It is Chinese bamboo. Unfortunately its quality is not always good.
I decided to buy the bamboo directly from manufacturers from China or Korea. But I do not know exactly what kind of bamboo is better used for bows. Manufacturers of bamboo is not very well aware of this, as they are mainly engaged in the manufacture of furniture and not bows.

I would be very grateful if any of you can tell what kind of bamboo used to make bows, and where to buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Nik Leonov.
Kiev, Ukraine.

Sorry if the subject is not the appropriate section. But I did not find the section where questions have been considered for the production of bows.

Thumbs up

Re: bamboo for bows, Please advise

kalmyk wrote:

Hello sirs,

I'm from Ukraine.
I make bamboo bows himself.
Since bamboo does not grow in the Ukraine, I buy it in building supermarkets. It is Chinese bamboo. Unfortunately its quality is not always good.
I decided to buy the bamboo directly from manufacturers from China or Korea. But I do not know exactly what kind of bamboo is better used for bows. Manufacturers of bamboo is not very well aware of this, as they are mainly engaged in the manufacture of furniture and not bows.

I would be very grateful if any of you can tell what kind of bamboo used to make bows, and where to buy it.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Nik Leonov.
Kiev, Ukraine.

Sorry if the subject is not the appropriate section. But I did not find the section where questions have been considered for the production of bows.

Nik,

This section is just fine for your query. 

The type of bamboo used in Korea for bows is called "wangdae" (왕대), with the botanical name of Phyllostachys bambusoides (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllostachys_bambusoides).

Thumbs up +1

Thank you very much, Bluelake.

Now I can continue to search for manufacturers of bamboo.

Can you recommend any of them?
(Probably best to answer an email or PM to avoid unnecessary advertising)

Once again many thanks

Thumbs up

kalmyk wrote:

Thank you very much, Bluelake.

Now I can continue to search for manufacturers of bamboo.

Can you recommend any of them?
(Probably best to answer an email or PM to avoid unnecessary advertising)

Once again many thanks

Kalmyk,

You're welcome.  There are no wangdae suppliers in Korea that a "mere mortal" can buy from; either you belong to the bamboo guild or know someone who does.  Although he is in the US, you might like to try Jaap Koppedrayer, as he grows both bow and arrow bamboos.

Thumbs up

Thank you very much
I will try

Thumbs up

I do agree that bamboo should came from bowyer.
Madake from ordinary bamboo dealers may be too young or wrong size.

Thumbs up

I recently ordered some bamboo arrows from www.oulay.com and made a dozen . I shot them probably 300 times at the targets at my local range then used them at a 3D they shot really well now all i want to shoot is bamboo  big_smile

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k105/saints2877/2012/1FA0F121-6889-4CD8-8B11-EB938AA1BD94-207-0000000FFAF5777F_zpsf5782a3a.jpg

Thumbs up

Saluki 55, do they sell shaft and ready arrows with the proper spine, or it´s all mixed?

Thumbs up

You may mail to the company. Ready arrows are not in their web but, unlike other chinese companies, they will give you the info very fast and good english.

Thumbs up