1 (edited by ryanyinlee 2013-02-26 17:21:18)

Topic: Draw Weight For A Beginner

Hello,

I would like to start practicing Korean traditional archery with a thumb ring, but the bow I've ordered (a 55# Hwarang) won't be coming for 1-2 months.

I've learned in the mean time, that a beginner such as I would likely be better off with a lighter draw weight so I can focus more on my technique instead of fighting the bow.

For this purpose I was thinking of getting a Samick SKB bow to practice the thumb draw until I'm ready for the Hwarang.

Would 35# be low enough for this, or should I go for the 30# SKB?

I am 5'10" (177.5cm) and 230 lb (104kg) with a wingspan of about 68-70" (173-178cm). I have drawn traditional western 45# and 55# recurves without too much trouble, but that was a few years ago.

Also would the 55-60# spine cedar arrows I ordered be usable with the lighter weight SKB?

Thank you,
- Ryan

Thumbs up

Re: Draw Weight For A Beginner

If you are going with SKB for a lighter bow, I would go with the lighter draw weight, as that type of bow is, typically, stiffer than a Hwarang or Kaya.  The arrows *might* be a bit stiff for such a low draw weight, but try them first before investing in other arrows.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by ryanyinlee 2013-02-27 22:24:20)

Re: Draw Weight For A Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I ordered the 30# SKB, but it's unfortunately on a long back-order.

The spine chart from the website I ordered seemed to indicate that even with a 30# bow, if I draw back by 30-31", then a stiffer spine is needed.

Thumbs up