Topic: YMG 45#@28"Hwarang vs Saluki 47#@28" Crimean Tatar Chrony

I'm posting these preliminary numbers which may change soon because I've been too impatient to tune arrow spines to bows before shooting things past a chronograph.  I was pulling each bow to 30" with a thumbring. With the same 31" Carbon Tech Panther 40-80 helical fletched arrow the bows were virtually identical with the $470 Hwarang posting repeatable 201 ft/s and the $1000 Saluki posting 202 ft/s. The arrow had a very non aerodynamic blunt tip and weighed 28 grams or 432 grains. That's over 9 grains /lb for each bow. Without the feathers these arrows do not fly straight out of either bow. So with careful bare shaft tuning I'm convinced each bow could get into the 220 ft/s range. My release technique could also be better and draw should be increasing to 32 inches soon. That will add more speed.

Post's attachments

Hwarang 45 speed.jpg 198.77 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-05-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up +1

Re: YMG 45#@28"Hwarang vs Saluki 47#@28" Crimean Tatar Chrony

Saluki 47lb@28" pic

Post's attachments

Saluki 47 speed.jpeg 176.46 kb, 100 downloads since 2013-05-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

tonygt19 wrote:

I'm convinced each bow could get into the 220 ft/s range.

I can confirm that the Hwarang can (and does), as I've done it many times with both carbon and bamboo arrows.

Thumbs up

So have I Thomas. These are magnificent and transferring energy into an arrow. Lukas makes a wonderful bow and many comparisons can be made, and the likes and dislikes of each archery differ, but in regards to energy and speed, its hard to compete with the Korean traditional bow.

Thumbs up

Thomas and Raven,
That's very impressive. Were you each using a 45# @28 inch Hwarang? At what draw length were you releasing? What was the weight per pound of the arrows? This isn't about likes or dislikes. I'm just trying to iron out the numbers. With the exception of the Romanian guys few members post any actual data. Lots of subjective and anecdotal information is offered on both the Hwarang and the Salukis. I've found both the Hwarang and Saluki to be superb performers and their performance deserves to be quantified. Each of these bows are hybrids of modern materials and ancient design. So their comparison makes sense. It's frankly a little frustrating to me that my own skill levels and arrow selection haven't come close to squeezing out the top performance of either bow, not even close. But it's fun watching the chronograph numbers climb, After a week of playing with the 70 lb bows these 45 and 47 lb bows feel like wet noodles. drawing comfortably behind the ear is now doable and the speeds are in the 210's for each. If I could find some bonafide flight arrows for these two we'd be off to the races,

Thumbs up +1

tonygt19 wrote:

Thomas and Raven,
That's very impressive. Were you each using a 45# @28 inch Hwarang? At what draw length were you releasing? What was the weight per pound of the arrows? This isn't about likes or dislikes. I'm just trying to iron out the numbers. With the exception of the Romanian guys few members post any actual data. Lots of subjective and anecdotal information is offered on both the Hwarang and the Salukis. I've found both the Hwarang and Saluki to be superb performers and their performance deserves to be quantified. Each of these bows are hybrids of modern materials and ancient design. So their comparison makes sense. It's frankly a little frustrating to me that my own skill levels and arrow selection haven't come close to squeezing out the top performance of either bow, not even close. But it's fun watching the chronograph numbers climb, After a week of playing with the 70 lb bows these 45 and 47 lb bows feel like wet noodles. drawing comfortably behind the ear is now doable and the speeds are in the 210's for each. If I could find some bonafide flight arrows for these two we'd be off to the races,

Tony,

I generally always shoot 50# @31" with 405gr carbon arrows.  I had similar results with like-weight bamboo arrows, although slightly lower.

T

Thumbs up