Topic: which glue is used to make korean short bow

may i know which glue is used to make traditional korean horn bow can we find to buy in shop or we need to make it at home please who know about it explain me.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by tonygt19 2013-09-10 19:00:14)

Re: which glue is used to make korean short bow

Selected dried croaker (a type of fish)  air bladders are boiled down into glue. Very tough and flexible. For all the answers to questions like this you should get Bluelake's "Way of the Bow: The Korean Hornbow" DVD. It is the most complete video of hornbow making ever made.

Thumbs up +1

thank you tonygt19 i want to make korean short bows i have good quality bamboo but i don't know how to make please send me video link. also can we use other glue like fevicol maxbond superglue etc to join bamboo. we dont have croaker

Thumbs up

roninpoon wrote:

thank you tonygt19 i want to make korean short bows i have good quality bamboo but i don't know how to make please send me video link. also can we use other glue like fevicol maxbond superglue etc to join bamboo. we dont have croaker

I'm sure Thomas will chime in here about the dvd sale link (he's Bluelake).  I have a lot of experience with bamboo, and feel like I could throw in some input.  Bamboo is EXTREMELY fibrous, and faster glues will simply not work well on it (it sort of wicks it away in my experience).  Epoxy works extremely well in some cases, and so does silicone adhesive, but I wouldn't use a hard adhesive on limbs.  I suppose that's not a lot of help, but definitely rule out your regular glues.  I have worked on longbows, and successfully backed them (with various materials) using Titebond II.... it is soft enough to not crack, but is also the strongest wood glue I've ever come across (I don't count gorilla glue because it cracked on me).

Anyway, good luck!

Thumbs up +1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsmE735g3qI             woo i will try this method

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys.

The DVD can be bought from Three Rivers Archery (http://www.3riversarchery.com/The+Way+o … eitem.html).

One mention about fish air bladders--even with croakers, Korean bowyers reject a large amount of their air bladders for quality reasons. 

Good luck with it roninpoon!  smile

Thumbs up

Has anyone used the air bladder method personally?  Does it smell bad?  I work on longbows for fun, and this is a neat idea, but I wouldn't want it smelling up the house.

Thumbs up

misterwonky wrote:

Has anyone used the air bladder method personally?  Does it smell bad?  I work on longbows for fun, and this is a neat idea, but I wouldn't want it smelling up the house.

Yes, I have boiled croaker down before and it does have quite an odor.  Also, it takes a long time to boil down.

Thumbs up