1 (edited by Mellowfellow 2013-11-02 19:48:05)

Topic: Ordering a Kaya kahn and starter kit advice

Hello everyone.

I'm interested in buying a kaya kahn for target shooting and fun hobby but I'm a total traditional recurve newbie.

I'm in need of some advice though. I want one which is about 45# (ive just read this is a good medium weight, should I go lighter in this case ?) and my draw length is 28,3" (measured from open extended arms index finger too index finger at about 70"/2.5 from this article http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow_sizing … uide.html)
This could already be a wrong start since this is not a compound but a traditional recurve ?

Ive read that in some cases the bow need's a little work to get it 100% tip top.. Things like smoothing the bow tips, adding padding where the strings "rest" on the tips on the back, and adding a patch of leather for the arrow rest.
Is this the standard ? Which glue should one use on this beauty ?

For arrows could I use lightspeed 500 carbon arrows ? Or is this the wrong move and should I get cheaper arrows, wood arrows, better arrows ? I'm ordering from ArcheryTorgue and they have a selection of bamboo and Carbon Pro carbon arrows. Can anyone recommend their arrow setups for target shooting ? Do the arrows need to be longer than normal ?

Then I guess lastly there is the release, does one use a tab or glove ?

O and do I use a stringer to get the string on or not ?

I realise I'm really going ape with all my questions,  tongue please forgive me! I value your sensible advice

MF

Thumbs up

Re: Ordering a Kaya kahn and starter kit advice

Welcome!

For people who are of at least average strength, 45# is a good draw weight to at least start with; you probably wouldn't have much trouble with the Khan at that draw weight.  Adding things to the bow would probably be a bit more of personal preference, although the Khan is a fairly sparse bow, so they are good ideas for tweaking it. 

Arrows are another personal preference.  When people ask me about getting arrows, I usually suggest trying out what one might either personally have, a friend has, or is cheaply obtained locally.  I would often head to WalMart and pick up some CarbonExpress Terminators for carbon arrows or order Hunters from Three River Archery for wood arrows.  Use what works for you.

Personally, when I shoot my Khan, I use a glove, but that is just my preference.  When I shoot my other Korean bows, it is always with a thumb ring.

The Khan does not need a stringer.  You can use the Korean step-through method to easily string it: http://www.hornbow.com/hktbstring.html   

Hope that helps!

T

Thumbs up

Thanks Bluelake!

I can't order more than 45# from Archerytorque. I read somewhere on this guide ebay.com/gds/Picking-And-Shooting-The-Used-Traditional-Bow-/10000000015304752/g.html that 45# was a good general weight for a bow. I could go 40# too. Reason I asked is that I read the SKB could differ poundage wise from what you order. So you order 40# , and it says 40# but it's actually pulling 35 or 30#. Perhaps then this is not the case with a Kahn.

I think for safeties sake (meaning so I dont get the wrong arrows) I'll get the bow in hand first, then figure out which arrows size I need.

I like the idea of a glove too.

Thumbs up

Mellowfellow wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm interested in buying a kaya kahn for target shooting and fun hobby but I'm a total traditional recurve newbie.

I'm in need of some advice though. I want one which is about 45# (ive just read this is a good medium weight, should I go lighter in this case ?) and my draw length is 28,3" (measured from open extended arms index finger too index finger at about 70"/2.5 from this article http://www.huntersfriend.com/bow_sizing … uide.html)
This could already be a wrong start since this is not a compound but a traditional recurve ?

Ive read that in some cases the bow need's a little work to get it 100% tip top.. Things like smoothing the bow tips, adding padding where the strings "rest" on the tips on the back, and adding a patch of leather for the arrow rest.
Is this the standard ? Which glue should one use on this beauty ?

For arrows could I use lightspeed 500 carbon arrows ? Or is this the wrong move and should I get cheaper arrows, wood arrows, better arrows ? I'm ordering from ArcheryTorgue and they have a selection of bamboo and Carbon Pro carbon arrows. Can anyone recommend their arrow setups for target shooting ? Do the arrows need to be longer than normal ?

Then I guess lastly there is the release, does one use a tab or glove ?

O and do I use a stringer to get the string on or not ?

I realise I'm really going ape with all my questions,  tongue please forgive me! I value your sensible advice

MF

I recently got into Korean archery, and came from an extensive background in self bows and recurves.  Instead of trying to convince you why they're good, I'm first going to say that my Korean bow is unlike anything I've ever shot....absolutely my favorite bow, and possibly one of my favorite possessions.  Even though I bought the "hwarang" model, I still did some very small out of box stuff to it like going over the seams, working on the backing...etc; it was fantastic out of the box, but no matter how good a bow is it still likes those last minute touchups.... No matter the cost if the bow, the origin, the quality, it'll need your last personal touches to complete it as yours, or at least that's how I feel.

I use carbon arrows, and it casts like no bow I've ever seen.  I'm not one of those spine gurus, but these bows seem to handle all kinds of arrows.

I, and most others here use thumbrings.  Thumbrings are new to me, and have shot three fingered for since a young age, but I have far surpassed my previous accurate and speed by adding a thumbring into it (more consistency).  If you refuse to go the Asiatic shooting methods, and stay with three fingers, you'll quickly realize that smaller bows are significantly less forgiving of form, or at least they are to me (not just Korean bows).

I noticed you asked about a leather shelf.  Don't.  The first time I shot from my hand on the right side I figured it would become a steep learning curve, but western form is extremely clumsy, inefficient, and twice the time between shots.  I wish I were joking, about this, but it is really that much of a difference.  One important thing to note is slight twist of the bow (away from the arrow), and it prevents typical problems found in western shoot I g (archers kiss, vein deflection....etc).

Everyone already left you some good responses, but I was recently in similar shoes so I felt that I should comment.  Good luck!

Thumbs up +2

5 (edited by Iggy 2013-11-25 15:57:55)

Just my twopence worth but Easton Powerflights are a good arrow for very little money. 500 spine, 3" feathers and 100gn CB points should be OK. If you would like to spend more than Powerflight money then Bloodline are a slightly better bet than Lightspeed in my view.

Cheers

Thumbs up