Topic: Learning the bow in Seoul

Hi,

My son and I have been actively learning Traditional Korean Archery here in Seoul for about 4 months.  In December we finished a 13 week course at HwangHakJeong, and have been shooting for the past month at SukhoJeong (Namsan mountain).  Needless to say we have found it immensely challenging and fun.  Language is our biggest barrier, but the local club members are always very supportive and helpful.  My son (14 year old) normally has at least one or two older members pull him to the side to give him extra help. 

We are here for 5 or 6 more months, so our plan is to shoot as much as possible.  Leave here with some great memories and some lifelong friends.  While shooting last week I miraculously hit 3 out of 5 targets, so there might be some hope for us.  We are starting to work with the Master at SukhoJeong who speaks English

Thumbs up

Re: Learning the bow in Seoul

Welcome and have a great time. I intend to go to SukHoJeong at some point (I think it is where my friend trained before he moved.), so maybe I'll catch you at some point in the future.

My advice is, don't think about hitting the target. My current aim is to get a molgi (5 out of 5), and whenever I get close to doing that... I start thinking, and then I miss. Just work on improving your technique (Mine is getting better; in fact, I've noticed my style change in the last week or so.) and consider hitting a bonus. If you can make precise shots (your shots cluster together, even if they miss), accuracy will come by itself in time.

Thumbs up

Buldoc, will you be leaving with bows, or do you plan on purchasing later?

Thumbs up

Welcome, Buldok!  big_smile

I'm really glad to hear you are doing it with your son; it was the same way for me.  I started my son out when he was younger than yours, many years ago (he will be 27 y.o. this year and teaches at a university); he's still an excellent archer and we, once in a while, get the chance to shoot together.

Thumbs up

Thanks.  It so far has been a great experience.  Our 13 week long class was an advanture since our instructor didn't speak English.  During the graduation and target ceremony, they dressed us up in traditional garb, and posted us as guards in front of the pavilion. 

Will Scarlet, We have purchased bows.  My son went with a SAMICK MIND 50, and purchased a 60 lb YMG In Bucheon (just outside of Seoul -- website www.goongdo.com).   They have been great in helping us get the equipment we need (arrows, etc).  I am sure there are lots of places closer to get equipment, but these guys have been very helpful.  Only down side is my Korean is limited to Google translate, and thier English is about as good as my Korean.  I probably get one more bow (65lb or so) before I leave.

Thumbs up +1

Bluelake,  My son is really enjoying it.  Being 14 is not so much a fan of only shooting 5 arrows and then getting a cup of coffee, so he prefers to shoot at Nanji park where he there is not a pavilion and things move a little faster.  I am purposefully going to SukHoJeong to help him learn patience…

Silentwind, let me know when you will go to SukHoJeong, and will shoot together.  Just ask about the huge American with the impatient son.

Thumbs up

Here is a show on Arirang TV that was done back in 2008, when I taught at Handong Global University, in Pohang (after that year, I started teaching at Yeungnam University, in Gyeongsan).  It's a blast from the past, which also features my son shooting with me.

Pt. 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfyBXCcXCTs
Pt. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5O9hHlJpg
Pt. 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHa29c_8LuQ

Here is an excerpt of what Arirang did the following year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEur4x6xgtE

Thumbs up +1

Thanks for the videos.  I shot with a gentleman Saturday who asked if I knew you.  And I could only tell him you were instrumental in helping me find a place to purchase a bow, but did not have the honor of meeting you.  Of course I did not get his name.

Thumbs up

Buldok wrote:

Thanks for the videos.  I shot with a gentleman Saturday who asked if I knew you.  And I could only tell him you were instrumental in helping me find a place to purchase a bow, but did not have the honor of meeting you.  Of course I did not get his name.

Korean?  Westerner?

Thumbs up

Korean. I have yet to run into a westerner at any of the pavilions we have been to.

Thumbs up

I've known people at Seokhojeong and also from Hwanghakjeong (some of them went to SHJ).  Hmmm... I wonder who it might have been.

Thumbs up

Next time I see him I will get his card and pass on his name. I am horrible at remembering names...

Thumbs up