Topic: About to order some shafts and i need some advice...

I'm going to order my first bamboo shafts tonight or tomorrow from Oulay.  I've never used bamboo before, and I need some help with the spine.  Now lately I've been shooting at 28" (not the 32" with the thumbring... arthritis is causing problems with my thumb).  Now, my bow is 50#@28", and I was thinking I'd get some 60# spine shafts, but I'm seeing that sometimes they will break at the node if they're spined close to the bow weight.

Do you guys think 60 spine is too low at 50#@28"?  Does anyone have experience with Oulay's bamboo shafts?  Thanks for any help!

Thumbs up

Re: About to order some shafts and i need some advice...

Are you ordering bare shafts or arrows? I ordered 50lb spine and likely shoot closer to 55 or 60 at my draw and they shoot fine. Of 15 complete arrows I have broken two, one just broke and the other was hit by another arrow. Oulay was great to deal with though. I still have 50 bare shafts to make into arrows.

Chad

Thumbs up

I usually order 100 cm shafts as they are difficult to find elsewhere. Quality is good for the price. I found that higher quality arrows with higher price do not loss proof nor hit proof too.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2014-02-07211444.jpg

Thumbs up

What about flying characteristic of the bamboo shafts you bought?  Are they flying straight or all over the place?

Thumbs up

The bamboo arrows I have from outlay are great. The only thing I don't like is the nocks as they slide in the string and make it difficult to make a consistent knock. I still have 50 bare shafts to turn into arrows but I am sure they will be great.

Thumbs up

The shafts fly well as long as it straight. You will need to re-adjust straightness once in awhile.
My shafts are a bit over 8 mm so I use 5/16 plastic glue-on nock with no problem. Nirk nock is my favorite, so far.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2014-02-16204328.jpg

Thumbs up

What's a good type of glue to use for gluing feathers to bamboo?

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

What's a good type of glue to use for gluing feathers to bamboo?

Korean fletchers use white wood glue.

Thumbs up +1

I use urethane (synthetic rubber) adhesive and then reinforced with CA.

Thumbs up +1

Have you guys ever bought from Tiger, from Ebay, or is Oulay better?

Lucas Cooper

Thumbs up

Tiger is rather pricey and I know from buying horn plates from him, that his products can be completely unsuitable at times.

I bought from Oulay and price wise they were very reasonable.  Some of the shorter bamboo arrows I made from them are still around however the longer ones I made (32/33 inches long) broke after a few shots.  However I am making some reinforced with sinew at the point end so I'm hoping my bad experiences were because I didn't do proper reinforcing.  Maybe others who are a little more familiar with the nuances of bamboo arrow making can chime in here.

Thumbs up

I bought some Tiger shafts, I was just wondering if Oulay were better.

Thumbs up

Tiger could provide node matching shafts. Oulay doesn't, so far.
But currently, I am wondering if their shafts came from the same source.

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

Tiger could provide node matching shafts. Oulay doesn't, so far.
But currently, I am wondering if their shafts came from the same source.

Perhaps the same source, but Oulay doesn't get involved with the customers as much, in my opinion, as Tiger does.

I talk to him and he takes my advice and offers a lot of supplies which are great for fletchers on ebay.

And if you buy in bulk, he gives you a deal sometimes if you ask him.

Thumbs up