Topic: Anybody use the Hyun mu gung ?

Hyunmugung seems very nice bow, and Freddie Won (Kaya Director) told me it is very strong. Stronger than Kaya KTB.

Anybody shoot that bow ? Do you have the unstringed images for this bow ? I really want to have a looking the unstring bow looked like.

Kind Regards,

Thumbs up

Re: Anybody use the Hyun mu gung ?

Here are some photos of one unstrung
http://cluster1.cafe.daum.net/_c21_/bbs … 3&re=1

Thumbs up

a1111318, what do you mean when you say Hyumugung is very strong?  Is it essentially the same bow as KTB except for the lack of cosmetic on the back?

Thumbs up

Hyunmugung is a separate bow company from the others--as far as I know, Freddie does not have a business interest in it.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

a1111318, what do you mean when you say Hyumugung is very strong?  Is it essentially the same bow as KTB except for the lack of cosmetic on the back?

Thank you for your feedback. Freddie Won told me about it. Have you use this bow before? Is it OK or just so so. or the same as Kaya.

I show the email as below:

Hi Peter,

Well received your email.

The Hyung Mu Gung is different manufacturer.
It is more traditional than Kaya but it is more strong than Kaya.
The smoothness is Kaya is better.

It is OK you to order it from me with TT USD.

Best regards,

Freddie

Thumbs up

No, I haven't used it yet.  I only used KTB, SMG and YMG Korean bows.

a1111318 wrote:
WarBow wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. Freddie Won told me about it. Have you use this bow before? Is it OK or just so so. or the same as Kaya.

Hi Peter,

Best regards,

Freddie

Thumbs up

I'm more sure I'd want a "stronger" pull.  I love that these bows feel like you're pulling a 50#+ rubber band.  Hopefully someone will chime in about the difference.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Hyunmugung is a separate bow company from the others--as far as I know, Freddie does not have a business interest in it.

That Hyunmugung bow company is as good as Kaya, or better or not as good as Kaya?

You mean this brand does not bring any margin to Freddie, is it? It can be seen the bow does not better than Kaya much. Even it may be not as good quality as Kaya. Kaya Ktb is good bow. It has been used so many years already.

Thumbs up

To be honest, I don't think I have shot one (it's possible that I have, but I don't remember doing so), so I have no real opinion on its quality and performance.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

No, I haven't used it yet.  I only used KTB, SMG and YMG Korean bows.

a1111318 wrote:
WarBow wrote:

Hi Peter,

Best regards,

Freddie

What do you think the different between Kaya Ktb, SMG, and YMG? Especially the different between SMG and YMG?

With my view, the SMG is the best of them. Do you think so?

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

What do you think the different between Kaya Ktb, SMG, and YMG? Especially the different between SMG and YMG?

SMG horn ftw!  tongue

Thumbs up 0

Mule wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

SMG horn ftw!  tongue

SMG Horn is very good bow definitely. But horn bow is too hard to maintenance and string it. I also want to have a horn bow. But not more experience to learn it. Have you shoot carbon SMG?  Any different between Carbon SMG and YMG and KTB?

Thumbs up

The top laminated Korean traditional bow is YMG.  That's not to say anything bad of the others, as they all have their merits.  I have sold SMG before and it is a good bow (I often personally shoot an SMG).  I also sell and shoot Kaya; it's a very good entry-level bow and performs as well as the others.  However, overall, I find the YMG to be superior, which is why I sell it.  Mr. Myeong-won Park, a friend since I first started Korean traditional archery over two decades ago, has been crafting bows for over forty years and his experience is well-reflected in his bows.  Also, he likes to keep things as traditional as one can with a laminated bow, which is why he uses natural birch bark for backing (SMG is simulated and Kaya uses a paisley-pattern sheep skin on its KTB).  With that said, the SMG hybrid horn/laminate is an excellent bow (and it uses natural birch bark backing) and SMG's owner, Mr. Do-min Park, is also a long-time friend of mine.

Thumbs up +1

a1111318 wrote:

SMG Horn is very good bow definitely. But horn bow is too hard to maintenance and string it.

The SMG horn isn't a true horn/sinew composite. Since it has fibreglass instead of sinew it isn't vulnerable to moisture damage and doesn't reflex as much as a horn bow. Unstrung it has the same shape as any other laminate Korean bow. It's the best of both worlds, the beauty of horn on the belly with the convenience of a laminate bow.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

The top laminated Korean traditional bow is YMG.  That's not to say anything bad of the others, as they all have their merits.  I have sold SMG before and it is a good bow (I often personally shoot an SMG).  I also sell and shoot Kaya; it's a very good entry-level bow and performs as well as the others.  However, overall, I find the YMG to be superior, which is why I sell it.  Mr. Myeong-won Park, a friend since I first started Korean traditional archery over two decades ago, has been crafting bows for over forty years and his experience is well-reflected in his bows.  Also, he likes to keep things as traditional as one can with a laminated bow, which is why he uses natural birch bark for backing (SMG is simulated and Kaya uses a paisley-pattern sheep skin on its KTB).  With that said, the SMG hybrid horn/laminate is an excellent bow (and it uses natural birch bark backing) and SMG's owner, Mr. Do-min Park, is also a long-time friend of mine.

Thank you so much for your explaination. Just couple of questions also confuse me. The SMG made from Bamboo but YMG and KAYA use Maple. Is it very different in their performance or not?

The Birch is very very good and important moistureproof for the traditional horn bow. But for the Carbon laminated bow, is it very necessary?  I just say that for the function rather than the aesthetics

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

Thank you so much for your explaination. Just couple of questions also confuse me. The SMG made from Bamboo but YMG and KAYA use Maple. Is it very different in their performance or not?

The Birch is very very good and important moistureproof for the traditional horn bow. But for the Carbon laminated bow, is it very necessary?  I just say that for the function rather than the aesthetics

I've never noticed a difference in performance between the different types of lams.  Regarding the birch bark--no, it isn't necessary for the laminated bows, but for many people, looks are important  big_smile

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

SMG Horn is very good bow definitely. But horn bow is too hard to maintenance and string it.

The SMG horn isn't a true horn/sinew composite. Since it has fibreglass instead of sinew it isn't vulnerable to moisture damage and doesn't reflex as much as a horn bow. Unstrung it has the same shape as any other laminate Korean bow. It's the best of both worlds, the beauty of horn on the belly with the convenience of a laminate bow.

Thank you so much! Do you have the unstring SMG horn laminate bow image?

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

Do you have the unstring SMG horn laminate bow image?

Sure, here you go
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12212152/SMGhorn.jpg

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

Do you have the unstring SMG horn laminate bow image?

Sure, here you go
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12212152/SMGhorn.jpg

I am so sorry, I can not see the image. It links "https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12212152/SMGhorn.jpg". But I can not open as well.

Could you show it again? Thx alot!

Thumbs up

Strange.. does this work?

Post's attachments

SMGhorn.jpg 313.74 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-02-15 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

It works now. Thank you so much!!!

Have you shoot  the Carbon SMG? If so, the different is big between Horn SMG and Carbon SMG?

Some of my friends says the Carbon SMG is the fastest in all of the SMG including the real horn bow. Is it true?

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:
Mule wrote:

It works now. Thank you so much!!!

Have you shoot  the Carbon SMG? If so, the different is big between Horn SMG and Carbon SMG?

Some of my friends says the Carbon SMG is the fastest in all of the SMG including the real horn bow. Is it true?

I have shot them.  The laminated SMG is indeed faster and has more cast than the horn hybrid and also the bamboo-bellied bow.  Still, all of them perform quite well.

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

YMG uses bamboo as well.  I've actually completely redone my bow due to a terrible accident (tripped down stairs and slide on my bow  sad), and I had to remove my birch, because that's what got damaged....in fact it was the ONLY thing that got damaged.  Like bluelake said, it is just there because it's beautiful.  I can't speak for the other bows, as I've not used them, but I have totally stripped my YMG, refinished it, re-backed it, re-wrapped it, and have seen some stuff about it that most people probably would never see; YMG goes to unusual levels to make sure that even the stuff under the birch, string wrapping, and leather is perfect even though you should never see it.

So when I had everything stripped apart, and it's innards exposed, I just sat there and admired how perfect it was even though no one should ever see it in that state.  Before buying my bow, I did at least 30 hours of research, and sent a lot of people a lot of emails.  In the end, I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the bows you're inquiring about, because they're all very reputable and have a significant fan-base.  I ended up avoiding actual horn belly because the bow I wanted would be my left hand, and it would have to endure everything I do.  I shoot in rain, ice, wind, dark.... and my bow has always been more reliable than I could've imagined.  The horn scared me (I live in a humid area...then dry...then humid sad), and while I want a horn bow one day, I would have to reach for my carbon YMG if I had to pick something I'd trust my life to.

Anyway, good luck man.  I know that whatever you decide on will be fantastic, and don't forget to brag to us about your new bow whenever you get it! big_smile

Thumbs up +1

misterwonky wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

YMG uses bamboo as well.  I've actually completely redone my bow due to a terrible accident (tripped down stairs and slide on my bow  sad), and I had to remove my birch, because that's what got damaged....in fact it was the ONLY thing that got damaged.  Like bluelake said, it is just there because it's beautiful.  I can't speak for the other bows, as I've not used them, but I have totally stripped my YMG, refinished it, re-backed it, re-wrapped it, and have seen some stuff about it that most people probably would never see; YMG goes to unusual levels to make sure that even the stuff under the birch, string wrapping, and leather is perfect even though you should never see it.

So when I had everything stripped apart, and it's innards exposed, I just sat there and admired how perfect it was even though no one should ever see it in that state.  Before buying my bow, I did at least 30 hours of research, and sent a lot of people a lot of emails.  In the end, I don't think that you could go wrong with any of the bows you're inquiring about, because they're all very reputable and have a significant fan-base.  I ended up avoiding actual horn belly because the bow I wanted would be my left hand, and it would have to endure everything I do.  I shoot in rain, ice, wind, dark.... and my bow has always been more reliable than I could've imagined.  The horn scared me (I live in a humid area...then dry...then humid sad), and while I want a horn bow one day, I would have to reach for my carbon YMG if I had to pick something I'd trust my life to.

Anyway, good luck man.  I know that whatever you decide on will be fantastic, and don't forget to brag to us about your new bow whenever you get it! big_smile

Bluelake told me the YMG made from Maple. Kaya also made from Maple. As far as I know, only SMG uses Bamboo. It is one of the reason SMG is more expensive than Kaya and better performance than Kaya as well.

Thumbs up

25 (edited by Mule 2014-02-17 11:10:26)

a1111318 wrote:

It is one of the reason SMG is more expensive than Kaya and better performance than Kaya as well.

An SMG artificial horn(fibreglass) is $200, carbon $250, horn $330
I see KTBs go for more than that:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/kaya-ko … w-set.html ($320)
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.a … mp;i=2409X ($295)
And considering how ugly (IMO) the KTB's patterned backing is, the choice is clear.

Thumbs up