Topic: starter bow

I'm looking at going from recurve to Korean bow I have not shot much for the last year and my recurve is 30lb I have a 27 1/4 draw length.
My question is I'm looking at a kaya ktb or if I can find one a Firefox what sort of lb should I look at, can't find any one near where I live to try one.
Looking at trying thumb ring off the thumb.

Thumbs up

Re: starter bow

Hey,
http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php
Head here (this is kaya's official online shop) and get your ass a KTB set, I wish some one told me that, it's the quickest easiest and cheapest option. Don't buy a bow over 45 pounds if your new to archery. Make sure the bow will be big enough for your draw length. Your far better off geting bow that is too big for you then too small but it depends on your draw length and how strong you want it and how far you want to overdraw ect ect. I think the smallest ktb is the 48 and thats fine for draws up to about 30 inches. Not totaly sure. My draw is over 34 and i need a 52 inch bow, but i'm really tall.I bought two bows that were too small for me untill i realised that. Mesure your thumb carfully, get calipers or some thing. The thumb ring needs to fit you well. Post your draw length here and i'm sure some on can tell you how big a bow you need. Ask if you have any questions. None are to simple or stupid.

Thumbs up

quote=goofy]I'm looking at going from recurve to Korean bow I have not shot much for the last year and my recurve is 30lb I have a 27 1/4 draw length.
My question is I'm looking at a kaya ktb or if I can find one a Firefox what sort of lb should I look at, can't find any one near where I live to try one.
Looking at trying thumb ring off the thumb.

Checkout garysarchery70 on Ebay. He has a good selection of KTB's. I have a simlmilar draw to yours and with a thumb ring draw 31".I purchased a 55 lb a few years ago and it took me a while to be able to draw it fully.Eventually I was able to draw it comfortably.Make sure you get your thumb-ring fitted well or you will be hurting.I really like the bow and I also purchased a Hwarang 55' about a year later.Both excellent bows.

Thumbs up

I shoot the 48" KTB and draw it to around 32" without a problem so far. As for weight i would stick with what you are used to unless you want to hunt.

Thumbs up +1

Just tried a istvan horse bow 35lb I was shooting 3 finger found it very nice to shoot the arrow was hitting the target with a real thud, also tried a bearpaw nice but dididn't feel the same in your hand, but under half the money!

Thumbs up

Ktb ordered. decided to order 30lb, I hurt 3 days after shooting my recurve for the first time in 6 month's!
Just need to work out this thumb release as no one in my club uses it.

Thumbs up