Topic: Upping Draw weights

I'm thinking about upping my draw weight now that i'm actually getting some accuracy but not in the near future, probably be a few more months before i really considering ordering a bow but i wanted to start thinking about it. I notice the KTB's only go up to 60 pound draw. I'm currently shooting a 45 pound bow though i'm overdarwing it so it's probably a little more then that. Should i jump to 60 next or can i go stronger? I've always wanted to get to historically accurate draw weights so i was wondering surely it's possible get stronger bows without a whole load of extra money and hassel. Finally how strong were the korean bows back in the day? I've heard the number 120 pounds thrown around for european bows but i was wondering if there would be any difference.

Thumbs up

Re: Upping Draw weights

It's hard to say what draw weights Koreans used historically, but common weights today are 50-70# for horn bows.

Thumbs up

chinese were pulling 80# as a minium for a grown man with 130# being the normal hunting.
http://www.manchuarchery.org/historical … -qing-bows
Has any one ever heard of a korean bow with that kind of pull? Could i get a korean bow that strong or would i have to switch over to another kind of archery to get up to a historical weight?

Thumbs up

Although I once had an 80#-plus horn bow crafted many years ago for someone (by my bowyer friend who is now paralyzed), it's not something you will easily get, as it's not a draw weight bowyers here in Korea would ever get a request for locally.

Thumbs up

Question, Thomas.
I thought that hornbows start manifesting their inherent efficiency at 70# and up?

Or is that the case for other hornbow styles, or a myth?

Thumbs up

lcooper wrote:

Question, Thomas.
I thought that hornbows start manifesting their inherent efficiency at 70# and up?

Or is that the case for other hornbow styles, or a myth?

I never heard that about Korean horn bows, in any case...

Thumbs up