Topic: New Hwarang Bow

So I received my secondhand Hwarang Bow from a seller from this website...

It is 55# @28 in. Do these bows draw to 33"? Because I cannot get it past my Saracen drawlength (around 31)...perhaps I am a lil weak! haha.

Anyways, any comments about things I should look for? How should I keep the brace height if the string untwists over time? What methods to prolong livelihood of the bow? And what arrows do yall suggest for it?

It is in my opinion a mighty bow and it almost scares me to pull it back. It is my first heavier bow over 55. I will use it along my Tatar bow to increase in strength.

Thanks all for your tips/comments.

LMC

Thumbs up

2 (edited by geoarcher 2014-06-11 03:32:31)

Re: New Hwarang Bow

I think I can address two of your questions/concerns.

1) concerning drawing the bow:  I don't know which one you got but if you are a rather long limbed fellow and purchased the standard size YMG (49 inches), then the bow may not be right for you in that sense. 

I am rather long limbed and found that in order to draw comfortably a Korean bow to my preferred 32 inch length I require jangjung or one that is say 50 or 51 inches in length.  All of the Korean bows that I had that were at least 50 inches in length I felt totally comfortable with drawing back that far.  The standard or 49 inch YMG that I once had felt awkward to pull back far similar to what it sounds like with you.

Of course strength training may indeed be more the issue here especially if you typically shoot at a lighter draw weight.

2) concerning arrows: carbon SMGs are probably the best.  They're well fletched and feature rather sturdy shafts and nocks.  They are also pretty good price wise.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

I think I can address two of your questions/concerns.

1) concerning drawing the bow:  I don't know which one you got but if you are a rather long limbed fellow and purchased the standard size YMG (49 inches), then the bow may not be right for you in that sense. 

I am rather long limbed and found that in order to draw comfortably a Korean bow to my preferred 32 inch length I require jangjung or one that is say 50 or 51 inches in length.  All of the Korean bows that I had that were at least 50 inches in length I felt totally comfortable with drawing back that far.  The standard or 49 inch YMG that I once had felt awkward to pull back far similar to what it sounds like with you.

Of course strength training may indeed be more the issue here especially if you typically shoot at a lighter draw weight.

2) concerning arrows: carbon SMGs are probably the best.  They're well fletched and feature rather sturdy shafts and nocks.  They are also pretty good price wise.

I am almost 6'3" so yes I am long limbed. From tip to tip unstrung it is 44" if you measured a straight line from the two nocks of the bow. Would this possibly be the standard YMG?

And where could an American get those arrows?

Thumbs up

4 (edited by geoarcher 2014-06-12 03:30:29)

lcooper wrote:

I am almost 6'3" so yes I am long limbed. From tip to tip unstrung it is 44" if you measured a straight line from the two nocks of the bow. Would this possibly be the standard YMG?

And where could an American get those arrows?

That sounds less actually.  Seems to be one of the shorter sizes.  What's marketed for westerners can be found here:

http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html

I bought a shorter one used awhile ago and I wound up selling it and then buying a jangjung (50 inches).  And I'm 6 foot.  So naturally that bow is likely totally wrong for you.  You can learn more about sizes here

http://www.goongdo.com/

and here (click on 'Standards'):

http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm

But ultimately I'd recommend one that is at least 50 inches long unstrung for you.

The only way to get SMG stuff these days that I'm aware is through Mechwar who posts here (or used to).  Just type in his user name here and send him a PM.  Though its not easy getting the SMG stuff these days.  I'm still waiting to be invoiced for an order I put in months ago.

Thumbs up