1 (edited by zze86 2014-06-15 06:05:02)

Topic: Bow recommendation

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations for a Korean/Asian style bow. My intention is to use it for deer hunting. I currently hunt with a 60" 50lb@26" recurve using a three under draw. A year or so ago I bought a cheap asiatic style bow on ebay and aside from the hand shock (which I chalk up to the cheap materials) absolutely love the way it shoots and the size (48" when strung). However I bought it in a 30lb draw weight, so not exactly hunting weight.

I am now looking for a more "serious" asiatic style bow to use for hunting and was looking for recommendations. The bows with traditional materials are cool and all but a little too much hassle for me to use for hunting (I seem to get rained on at least once a season). I intend to shoot with a thumbring.

Really the only bows I've looked at are the Kaya Firefox and the Kaya Kahn, cause they were the only ones I could readily find, which I was going to order direct from Kaya. How does the Firefox compare to the Kahn (other than the shelf)? Also a little perusing around this site and I've seen mentioned SMG, HMG, YMG....? which companies are these and where can I get more info/buy them from? The Kaya's look like a working tip design; are there any that have a static limb design?

Thanks in advance.

-Chee

Thumbs up

Re: Bow recommendation

Welcome to the forum ZZE86. There are others here more knowledgeable than I, but I can give you what I know.  roll
The SMG, HMG, and YMG are all Korean bows, all have "static" tips, and are considered to have the better performance of the Asiatic style bows. They are of glass/bamboo construction (and maybe carbon also)  They can be had longer, but most are around 48". The SMG can be ordered here from Mr. Thomas Duvernay (the chief moderator) www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html  Look at these Chinese types also ................. www.cinnabarbow.com/marinerbows/index.html  Another bow, which I think would be one to consider, is the Kaya Windfighter.             

Will

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

The SMG can be ordered here from Mr. Thomas Duvernay (the chief moderator) www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html  Look at these Chinese types also ................. www.cinnabarbow.com/marinerbows/index.html  Another bow, which I think would be one to consider, is the Kaya Windfighter.             

Will

Actually, I sell YMG...

Thumbs up

4 (edited by geoarcher 2014-06-16 01:04:24)

I think the SMG and YMG's are both very good bows.  Probably the best of the Korean synthetics.  If you want a Korean synthetic to be your next bow, I'd go with one of them.

Thumbs up

thanks for the links! Those Mariner bows look very interesting, a takedown asiatic bow, awesome! I think I'll definitely be getting one of those later on. For now though I think I need to get more info on the Hwarangs. They look like what I'm looking for. What is Mr. Thomas Duvernay's screen name? I'm guessing Bluelake, but I don't want to assume...

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
WillScarlet wrote:

The SMG can be ordered here from Mr. Thomas Duvernay (the chief moderator) www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html  Look at these Chinese types also ................. www.cinnabarbow.com/marinerbows/index.html  Another bow, which I think would be one to consider, is the Kaya Windfighter.             

Will

Actually, I sell YMG...

Sorry Thomas, my mistake. sad

Thumbs up

zze86 wrote:

thanks for the links! Those Mariner bows look very interesting, a takedown asiatic bow, awesome! I think I'll definitely be getting one of those later on. For now though I think I need to get more info on the Hwarangs. They look like what I'm looking for. What is Mr. Thomas Duvernay's screen name? I'm guessing Bluelake, but I don't want to assume...

Yup, that's me  smile

Thumbs up

Once you get used to shooting a asiatic bow with a thumb ring you won't go back to a traditional recurve. They are just simply way more fun to shoot. At 3d shoots people almost make fun of my little bow until they see an arrow come off of it then the questions start.

Thumbs up