1 (edited by Dingo 2015-04-20 11:50:08)

Topic: Worrying bow failure

I was shooting today with my 60# Kaya ktb when things started going wrong, When I first shot it the string violently flew off the bow and the bow was left in my hands string less . This had never happened to me in normal shooting before and at first I was quite concerned, I had also quite badly hurt my hand in the process . I decided it might have some thing to do with the string which was quite worn. So I replaced it with another one and tried again and once more it violently flew off the bow. By this point I was really worried there might be some thing seriously wrong with my bow but I decided that I would try at lest once more to make sure it wasn't just a freak occurrence. Again the same thing happened and when I went to string the bow again I herd a distinct cracking sound and I saw the bottom limb of the bow had totally failed. There is now a large crack on the side of the bow  and the bottom limb can hold no weight (see photos). I cannot understand why this has happened and if the bow failed because of the dry firing caused by the string slipping off the bow or the problems are related. Either way I shot it in no way differently then I normally do. This is most puzzling. Can any one think of any reason why this happened? I've had the bow for a year and i'll admit I've used it a lot but this bow really isn't that old. I'm going to try and write to Kaya and see if they will send me a replacement.

Post's attachments

IMG_0147.JPG 1.22 mb, 5 downloads since 2015-04-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Re: Worrying bow failure

another image of the crack.

Post's attachments

IMG_0146.JPG 1.48 mb, 4 downloads since 2015-04-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

I think someone mentioned somewhere on this site that Kaya was/is having quality control issues.  So it may likely not be any fault of your own.

Thumbs up

On further inspection I've noticed the bottom pad is quite badly worn on one shoulder , i think the string coming off might have some thing to do with that.

Thumbs up

Generally, the Kaya KTB is a very well-made bow with few problems.  However, every company has a less-then-optimum bow slip through the cracks.  Kaya is very good about customer service, so drop a line to kaya@kayaarchery.com and you should be able to get it sorted out.

Thumbs up

Good news every one! Kaya sent me a replacement bow. I think they have been doing some product development, it's a lot better then my old one. I think my old bow was probably a bit of a lemon. No complaints here.

Thumbs up +1