1 (edited by Pedro C 2015-08-26 05:04:10)

Topic: Thinking of new bow, maybe

I wasn't sure if I should get a Hwarang, MJ System Black Shadow Matte, 53" or Nomad KTB 53", or if I should get 30lb, 40lb, or 50lb at 31". I am between 185cm and 190cm tall. My arm span is 178cm/70" thumb to thumb with arms spread out.

Most of my practice has been with a 50lb@30" Hungarian style bow. After a few rounds, I become more tired and start missing the target at 20 yards. At least the string never slaps my arm.

My 30#@28" flatbow just has too much handshock. Its brace height is lower and the string jerks forward from the brace height when it is shot, slapping my arm. I still have a strange bruise/nodule on my bow hand, at the little finger joint, from the handshock a week ago.

Although I can pull up to 70lbs max (get tired quickly), I should probably get the Nomad at 30lb. Right? Because I am a beginner and I do not feel as comfortable shooting as I would like to. Perhaps, when I actually make some progress in two or three years, I could get a more powerful Hwarang (maybe 60# or more).

However, an archer at the range told me I should just shoot more with my 50# bow because that's what I'm used to. I guess he might be right, but I don't see how shooting a lighter bow hurts rather than helps get better form.

Instead of buying a bow, should just try to make really heavy arrows for the flatbow? I don't think its draw will be as even, but it should be good enough? I could wrap something soft on the handle. Would it be too different to shoot from a Korean bow? (both with thumb draw, heavy arrows). I could make longer arrows, but I'm not sure if that 71" hickory flatbow should be drawn more than 32". It already has taken some set. I can draw to right under my ear at around 32", but I might want to learn to shoot with a longer, lower draw.

I would like to set up some sort of short range target/makiwara type thing in my apartment. Perhaps a cardboard box with foam or something inside, or one of those soft cube targets? And I should probably get a book. The translated Gao Ying book, and Thomas's Korean Archery book?

I would appreciate any advice. Sorry for the long post..

Re: Thinking of new bow, maybe

Hi. Not sure I'm qualified to answer properly but I shoot a Kaya Khan since 2 months. My bow before that was a standard flatbow. The Khan will draw to 28 inches which does not allow full Korean form but here's my 10 cents: Hwarangs are meant for traditional 145 meter distance shooting. I know people use them for other things, indoors, field etc, and I'm sure they come in handy in a thicket, but that's not what they were made for. Made for about 450 grain arrows at long distance. If that's your thing, then go buy one. They all seem to satisfy their users if you read the forum.
The handshock is not felt primarily because of the handle, made of rubber. Many seem to customise their own. I did, with bike bar wrapping. Works just fine.
One thing: If you are

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Pedro C 2015-08-26 14:48:47)

Thanks for the reply. Seems like there's a bug with that "The Korean bow is backed with _" question, Pun stop bots question, that cut off your post.. because that's when my posts got cut off
It seems to cut off the last 133-134 characters?!?

4 (edited by WillScarlet 2015-08-27 02:59:21)

Your vote indicators show two "yes" categories.  big_smile

Thumbs up

I would start with a 45-50lb Korean bow.  Maybe the Ktb.  Then move up to the hwarang if you love the ktb.  Allot of shooting is up to your personal preference.  I find its good to not over think it.  It takes allot of practice and allot of trial and error.  Im not familiar with a flat bow, so I don't know how it compares to the Korean bows.  If you can comfortably pull your 50lb bow back with your thumb and hold it steady for ten seconds then you probably good with that weight.  If not then go lighter or start working out more.  It will take some time to get your thumb in condition as well.  Practice, practice, practice.  There is not perfect formula when it comes to archery, everyone is different.  Many cultures have archery masters that shoot completely different styles and bows.

Thumbs up

For a cheap target pack a burlap sac with old clothes and shoot at that.  In my experience Korean bow don't have hand shock at all.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Pedro C 2015-09-04 01:59:29)

Thanks. So, is it safe to assume that the MJ System Nomad KTB (53" long version) could be drawn safely to 35-36"? Hopefully it won't delaminate or anything once I get one.

So up to the outer limbs (start of the ears before they curve, so the limbs make a C) being parallel is okay? I tended to draw my PVC bow which is slightly shorter to a point past where they went parallel

I'd also need to get longer bamboo shafts... I feel like I might end up trying a Kyudo-ish draw since it's long, the arms are aligned, yet it's also pretty high (arrow passes next to the mouth). Yet it seems shorter (?) than a full Korean long range draw, but still ergonomic. Should be good for shorter range shooting. Or I'll just stick to shorter draws. lel, I'm overthinking again

With the 33" arrows, it should be okay. I could just draw to under my ear; I think a lot of people do that and it's good enough.

8 (edited by Pedro C 2015-08-30 00:40:19)

Just ordered a 53" Nomad bow set from koreanbow.com, 45lbs at 31"!

Nice! Let us know when you shoot it.  smile

Thumbs up

10 (edited by Pedro C 2015-09-05 04:39:49)

If all goes well, just one more day until it arrives. Then I'll be able to shoot it at a range

edit: USPS failed to deliver... I'll have to pick it up at the post office Saturday