1 (edited by Pedro C 2016-07-06 07:49:08)

Topic: SMG bamboo bow?

Is it all bamboo or does it have fiberglass or something?

min. pleasant grains per pound?

maybe i'll get someone a light one, max draw length for 47"?

Re: SMG bamboo bow?

It's just bamboo bellied, the rest of the bow is the same as the $200 fiberglass bow

Thumbs up +1

I ordered an SMG Bamboo bow from koreanbow.com. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't have trouble with customs in Belgium. When I got it, I post some pictures  smile

Since I'm new in Korean archery (but I do have experience in olympic recurve archery), are there any pitfalls I must beware of? Are there guidelines for first use on new bows? Does the SMG Bamboo bow require special treatment?

Thanks in advance for your advice  tongue

Thumbs up

Han wrote:

I ordered an SMG Bamboo bow from koreanbow.com. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. I hope I don't have trouble with customs in Belgium. When I got it, I post some pictures  smile

Since I'm new in Korean archery (but I do have experience in olympic recurve archery), are there any pitfalls I must beware of? Are there guidelines for first use on new bows? Does the SMG Bamboo bow require special treatment?

Thanks in advance for your advice  tongue

Welcome!

For that kind of bow... not really. You can pretty much use a stringer the same way? Or you can do step through with the bow sort of perpendicular to your legs. If anything I'd say the laminate Olympic recurves are probably more finicky and prone to twist, but I'm not sure

Will you be using a thumb ring or that thumb glove? I guess it will be harder to aim and stuff

Pedro C wrote:

Welcome!

For that kind of bow... not really. You can pretty much use a stringer the same way? Or you can do step through with the bow sort of perpendicular to your legs. If anything I'd say the laminate Olympic recurves are probably more finicky and prone to twist, but I'm not sure

Will you be using a thumb ring or that thumb glove? I guess it will be harder to aim and stuff

Thank you Pedro,

I'm very curious how things will work out for me. I'm sure aiming will be hard but I hope exercise and good advice will help me out ;-)
I ordered a thumbring and as I've read in this forum it takes time to get used to it and probably I should have bought a second one (a bigger size as well)

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Pedro C 2016-08-03 22:34:01)

It may be a good idea to purchase cheap plastic Vernier calipers to measure your thumb.. though I think the easiest way to find a good fitting thumb ring is to try a large selection and have someone experienced helping you. I had to order 4 thumb rings before I had one that didn't hurt, and I had to pad it with leather. it's a vermil victory

Try not to use the (") character, there's a bug with the spambot checker that asks how many dan levels there are, when answered properly it just cuts everything in the post after and including the ". Can also ctrl-A ctrl-C before posting just in case... some interesting posts have been cut due to this

What draw weight did you order? I guess pull ups, inverted rows and push ups always help tongue I think the biggest fault I had when starting out was hunching the bow shoulder...

AFAIK there are 2-4 anchor points in gungdo/국궁: arrowhead on bow hand thumb/maybe index, arrow through jaw or chin, and maybe string on ear and on the body

this is helpful. You don't have to draw so far..

https://www.facebook.com/gungdomaster/p … 9853220961

hope that helps

7 (edited by geoarcher 2016-08-04 00:59:24)

Obtaining a second thumb ring definitely isn't a bad idea when you are first starting.  The best option for beginners in this matter was offered over at Cinnabar where you could purchase a set of 4 cheap plastic thumb rings for 20 dollars with varying sizes.  I don't think this is offered there any more but you could contact Justin Ma to see if he can do it for you.  Occasionally there's some Chinese maker on ebay that offers a large set of rings at varying sizes for a low amount made out of some resin but I don't know the quality of that product or if its being offered now.

Vermil is a great way to go.  I was really surprised with how dead on my silver thumb ring fit from them.  You may not even have to buy a caliper if you can find a jeweler near you that has a small digital caliper.  Not all of them do but if so, make sure the clerk measures your thumb joints width and height with the ends that are clasping the diamond as shown in this picture:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51u1pIYLWuL.jpg

Note: this device is not exactly the same as a vernier caliper but it will give you the same results if used properly.  I know because I later verified my jewelry clerks results with an already-opened-out-of-the package vernier caliper on display at a local hardware store.  Which is another option to pursue if you don't necessarily won't to get one.

Just a set of options to consider.

Thumbs up

Pedro C wrote:

Try not to use the (") character, there's a bug with the spambot checker that asks how many dan levels there are, when answered properly it just cuts everything in the post after and including the ". Can also ctrl-A ctrl-C before posting just in case... some interesting posts have been cut due to this

What draw weight did you order? I guess pull ups, inverted rows and push ups always help tongue I think the biggest fault I had when starting out was hunching the bow shoulder...

AFAIK there are 2-4 anchor points in gungdo/국궁: arrowhead on bow hand thumb/maybe index, arrow through jaw or chin, and maybe string on ear and on the body

this is helpful. You don't have to draw so far..

https://www.facebook.com/gungdomaster/p … 9853220961

hope that helps

Thanks, that is very helpfull, I was already wondering how to aim and if this is different for short/medium/long distances  big_smile
I ordered a #35@31.6. Since i'm rather small sized (1m68) I don't think I will get 35# at full draw (shoulder) but I'll find out when the bow arrives, I guess.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

The best option for beginners in this matter was offered over at Cinnabar where you could purchase a set of 4 cheap plastic thumb rings for 20 dollars with varying sizes.

I think this is an excellent idea. I will try to talk to Justin Ma through FB  smile

Thumbs up

I wonder how different this bamboo bow performs from the carbon one, or if the tips are shorter/less reflexed than the carbon or horn one?