1 (edited by raven 2011-02-07 02:06:48)

Topic: Dynamic VS Static release

It is the general understanding that a dynamic release (one that lets the arrow loose the moment that the archer reaches his draw length or anchor point) is a better transfer of energy to the arrow and thus a better performing arrow.

In my endeavor to learn as much as possible about korean archery technique, I have noticed that most archers rigidly bring the string back and hold for some time. Why is this? And would this not be prohibitive practice when one was practicing, with the intent of hunting or going to war?

The korean discipine of archery is very aesthetically pleasing, and the korean bow is a piece of art. Just am not convinced that those in ancient times would find it useful to hold the bow back for so long, robbing the arrow of energy, and the archer time to get the next arrow off to its mark.

I admit that I have allot to learn. Thank you and regards,
Joseph

Thumbs up

Re: Dynamic VS Static release

From my point of view you are talking about anchoring, not releasing.
Keeping the string at full draw is a way to aim carefully, but you absolutely need a sharp and fast release after that.
for shooting at a moving taget, the usual technique of instinctive shooting and snapshot release are of course the rule, but the asian bows need absolutely full draw to give the best results, so be really careful to reach your anchor point before releasing.

Thumbs up

Raven

From a technical point of view, horn bows traditionally are at their strongest when released immediately following the reaching of a full anchor.  Turkish flight shooters even went so far as to pluck release the arrow the last few inches.  However, the actual loss of stored energy is pretty minimal.  Besides, in hunting or in war, a slow hit is better than a bunch of fast misses.  As with any other speed technique, practice being smooth first and speed will come with time.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

Turkish flight shooters even went so far as to pluck release the arrow the last few inches.

Some Korean archers do that, too (although it's not exactly by-the-book).

Thumbs up +1

5 (edited by sissara 2012-02-01 10:09:39)

With modern materials (belly/string/back), physical creep are negligible for holding either 0.01 or 10 seconds at anchor position.

IMO: The tradition materials (horn/silk/sinew) are also resistant to creep at some degree.  smile

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

With modern materials (belly/string/back), physical creep are negligible for holding either 0.01 or 10 seconds at anchor position.

IMO: The tradition materials (horn/silk/sinew) are also resistant to creep at some degree.  smile

sissara, you will be surprised to see that you're wrong... Try do do some test using the chronograph, you will notice important variations in speed  - shooting the normal way or doing that "snap shooting". Ginni can tell you more about this. This is more visible during summer time, when the bow loses power after being shot in very warm weather conditions.

Thumbs up

cristian_iepure wrote:
sissara wrote:

sissara, you will be surprised to see that you're wrong... Try do do some test using the chronograph, you will notice important variations in speed  - shooting the normal way or doing that "snap shooting". Ginni can tell you more about this. This is more visible during summer time, when the bow loses power after being shot in very warm weather conditions.

Many thanks, if you had these tested on chrono, it must by measurable and significant.
And I should aware of holding time and cool down interval between shot.  smile

Thumbs up