Topic: Different Species of Bamboo

I understand other forums already have this subject, but I am wondering if anyone have actually worked with Japanese bamboo.

Thumbs up

Re: Different Species of Bamboo

I have, pretty good stuff. I've a bunch in the back yard.

Thumbs up

Pseudosasa Japonica is excellent arrow material, I've used it many times. You will have to search for culms of the correct diameter and quality (equal node spacing) as there will be a lot that are too big.
From scratch, ie cutting, the process is a long one, I have two bundles that have been seasoning for ten months.
It really then depends on the arrows you wish to make as to how much longer the wait until the finished item.
I made a set of 35" Korean arrows, complete with hand carved wooden nocks, sinew wrapped in the traditional fashion, with pheasant fletchings. This was quite a long job compared with basic self nocks or even using small dowels and using taper type plastic nocks. Straightening the shafts takes time and patience and there will be some failures, as finding the right amount of heat and the amount the shaft will bend can be very tricky. Some simply refuse and you will soon learn to put these aside rather than carry on for ages, only to have it crease or break.

If you get it right, Japonica makes very nice arrows.

Thumbs up +1

Darn, that's a lot of work!  It's unfortunate that I can't find any Japanese bamboo arrow shaft vendors.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

Darn, that's a lot of work!  It's unfortunate that I can't find any Japanese bamboo arrow shaft vendors.

Try Jaap Koppredrayer, as he has his own japonica farm.  I posted an announcement for a book on bamboo arrow crafting he and his wife, Kay, just published; his contact info is there.

Thumbs up