Topic: Hunting and the Korean Traditional Bow

Thomas,

Thank you for letting us have this spot to communicate specifically on this topic. I know of no where else that such a place exist on the web.

How does hunting shape the korean bow? If at all?

Obviously, the short length of the bow is always a plus in the woods. Western style "longbow" shooters have even managed to work there glass bows down to 58 or less inches, understanding that the shorter the bow the better the maneuverability.

Is there anything else that might add to the development of its uniqueness among asian bows?

Joseph

Thumbs up

Re: Hunting and the Korean Traditional Bow

Joseph, its funny you say that because the Korean bows are some of the shortest if not shortest indigenous bows in the world, and are shot the farthest distances 145 meters!!! Amazing to say the least! My goal is to harvest a few deer with my Korean bow before the end of the season, if I can spend enough time in the woods, I set up a ground blind to use, first time using one. I've shot from it, and it works just fine! Kinda weird shooting from a "tent" but I figure if I want a close shot that's straight, this is my best chance! Even during treestand hunting it's difficult to judge distance and angle. I practiced shooting at 3D targets from an elevated platform, and it was a lot of fun, but the angles are tricky!! Perfect practice makes perfect, now I see why archery was a leisurely pastime for those who did not have to work in ancient Korea, if I had the means, I would practice every day, I just love shooting my Korean bows! I have spent the past few weeks shooting my hwarang (50lb/YMG) Thomas recently set me up with and will do a review. I have to say I was not used to shooting with my thumb but like all things I have become used to it and it's getting easier and more natural to shoot with my thumb now. I am really enjoying myself. Not to mention the bow is as light as a feather it's a joy to walk the woods with. I saw a video where some Korean archers were doing dynamic shooting like running at targets an shooting or running from targets turn back and shoot, I actually tried it and it's a lot of fun! It gets the adrenaline pumping, and is a very exciting way to shoot at targets even if they are at close range, I kinda feel like a warrior when I run and shoot, try it sometime. I saw the video on ymjang YouTube channel. I have not seen any other type of dynamic shooting for archery like this. It was like a martial art in it's own. Jumping and shooting, crazy stuff. All of this possible to the short and light maneuverability of the Korean bow!

Thumbs up

Trident, how's the shooting going? Anyone taken a deer yet?

Thumbs up

Elk, grifyn, chimera, dragons, I think I'll put in for a unicorn tag next year

Thumbs up

What's the Pope and Young record for unicorns BTW.   lol

Thumbs up