Topic: The full draw

Have an observation and question. There are a lot of You-Tube posts here which demonstrate shooting in the Korean style, and in most (not all) I can see that when the archer comes to full draw part of his face/jaw/chin is literally inside the bowstring, or at least
against his cheek to where the bowstring is buried in his skin. From where I come from,
upon release, that's going to sting/hurt like ****!  Am I missing something here?  hmm

Thumbs up

Re: The full draw

When done correctly with a thumb ring, the string will move away from the archer upon release.

Thumbs up

Bluelake,
I'm sure I recall some old saying, something like

"Only the bowstring may slap the face of the Emperor."

Have you heard/read this one?

I can confirm that even soft pheasant fletchings hurt  tongue

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

Bluelake,
I'm sure I recall some old saying, something like

"Only the bowstring may slap the face of the Emperor."

Have you heard/read this one?

I can confirm that even soft pheasant fletchings hurt  tongue

I haven't heard that one, but it's possible it was said by someone.  However, with that said, the only people I have ever seen get archer's kisses (either on the face or arm) had incorrect form (and that includes me in my early years of shooting).

Thumbs up

Just the odd few where the fletchings woke me up. The wrist can account for more experience (pain) early on, that small brace height. I still struggle with this now from time to time but that is due to a neck problem that won't allow me to draw as I want to. It's a nuisance.

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

Just the odd few where the fletchings woke me up. The wrist can account for more experience (pain) early on, that small brace height. I still struggle with this now from time to time but that is due to a neck problem that won't allow me to draw as I want to. It's a nuisance.

Two points about form that are important, so as to minimize slap to the inner arm or wrist--make sure your inner arm is parallel to the string (don't let your elbow poke in) and keep about three-fingers' of space between the string and your wrist when the bow is not drawn (this gives the correct string angle).

Thumbs up

7 (edited by WillScarlet 2011-12-19 02:30:47)

bluelake wrote:
~HUN~ wrote:

Two points about form that are important, so as to minimize slap to the inner arm or wrist--make sure your inner arm is parallel to the string (don't let your elbow poke in) and keep about three-fingers' of space between the string and your wrist when the bow is not drawn (this gives the correct string angle).

Would not the same principle apply to wrist slap as that about not hitting your face with the string? I believe it was said that natural direction of the string (when using a thumb ring)
would be to clear the face upon release.

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:
bluelake wrote:
~HUN~ wrote:

Would not the same principle apply to wrist slap as that about not hitting your face with the string? I believe it was said that natural direction of the string (when using a thumb ring)
would be to clear the face upon release.

Yup.

Thumbs up

Correct elbow position and hand of my bow arm is ok. Since this neck problem, I struggle to get the string close to my face, naturally drawing to what feels right and is comfortable. However, this is away from my face, a 'floating anchor' and naturally sends the string along the wrong path. It takes much concentration and effort to work through this, I've not drawn a bow for a couple of months now.

Thumbs up

HUN, is this a permanent neck condition, or something that will improve? I can empathsize with you as I have suffered many times with neck problems in the past. This last go-round was severe and long-lasting enough that I went to a chiropractor, and with adjustments and exercises straightened me out.
  Right now my bow arm elbow and right shoulder are hurting, but laying off shooting, are getting to feel better.  Getting old "stinks" !!

Thumbs up