Topic: First time traditionnal bow - Kaya KTB

Hello everyone,
first time poster here.
First of all I would like to apologize if my question may have been posted already on the forum. The closest answer to my question that I could find is here http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 12&p=2 but unfortunately this is not really helping me much.
I am actually shooting about 41.5# western recurve at a very short draw length of about 25.5/26 inch.
I would be ordering a KTB next Monday and I am not able to decide whether I should take 40# or 45#. I would really like to be shooting a near similar poundage that I am now at a longer than recurve,  Korean three fingers draw .
Can anyone please advice me about what I should order as I will be ordering online with no possibility of testing.
Other than that, any recommendation on carbon or alu arrows, length and spine.
Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up

Re: First time traditionnal bow - Kaya KTB

pascallee wrote:

Hello everyone,
first time poster here.
First of all I would like to apologize if my question may have been posted already on the forum. The closest answer to my question that I could find is here http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 12&p=2 but unfortunately this is not really helping me much.
I am actually shooting about 41.5# western recurve at a very short draw length of about 25.5/26 inch.
I would be ordering a KTB next Monday and I am not able to decide whether I should take 40# or 45#. I would really like to be shooting a near similar poundage that I am now at a longer than recurve,  Korean three fingers draw .
Can anyone please advice me about what I should order as I will be ordering online with no possibility of testing.
Other than that, any recommendation on carbon or alu arrows, length and spine.
Thanks in advance.

If you are able to draw and hold a 41.5# @26" Western recurve for five seconds without difficulty, you should have no problem with a 45# KTB at the same draw length.  Of course, be certain you are comparing apples with apples; the KTB is rated at 31", which would make the draw weight quite a bit less at 26".

Thumbs up

If you are able to draw and hold a 41.5# @26" Western recurve for five seconds without difficulty, you should have no problem with a 45# KTB at the same draw length.  Of course, be certain you are comparing apples with apples; the KTB is rated at 31", which would make the draw weight quite a bit less at 26".

Using a Korean traditional style long draw, about how much draw length should I be pulling the bow longer compared to my actual Mediterranean style? and what estimate of draw weight should I be expecting at this draw length?

Thumbs up

pascallee wrote:

Using a Korean traditional style long draw, about how much draw length should I be pulling the bow longer compared to my actual Mediterranean style? and what estimate of draw weight should I be expecting at this draw length?

Typically, a thumb ring draw is approximately 3" more than a finger draw.  The amount of weight change depends upon the bow, as the change is different for different makes.  You can probably figure 3-4# per inch, but that's just a rough guess.

Thumbs up

Take a look at the force draw curve of various Korean bows here
http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=232

Allowing 3" to your normal draw will arrive at around 29", you will notice that it is at around this point that a steep increase is experienced. The bow will draw smoothly to 29".
Some are measured at both 28" and 31", for example my own bow which is 42# at 28" and 55# at 32.5".

Thumbs up

6 (edited by pascallee 2012-03-19 08:53:24)

Thanks for your help.
I think that I'll stick to the 40lbs bow just to be on the safe side and to make the experience pleasurable. I would not like to battle with higher draw weight for a first time tradittional shooting.
According to your graph, the serious stacking does indeed start at around 29" and I fear that using a new drawing technique, this may well let me draw more than the 29" and thus exceeding my actual 41.5# drawing.

Thumbs up

Another thing to consider is, these bows do not "physically" seem to be drawing as heavy as they really are, so the "perceptable" draw weight feels lighter.  IMHO, a 40# bow woud be just right ( it is what I would choose for myself anyway)  wink

Thumbs up

Can one use arrows with vanes, or they should just have feathers?

Thumbs up

Gabriel wrote:

Can one use arrows with vanes, or they should just have feathers?

Either will work fine.

Thumbs up