Topic: Trad. Korean Bows you can buy in Europe

Hi folks,

I started trying Korean Archery about one year ago with a Kaya Windfighter. Still I am very pleased with the bow and the Korean style.
Now, I would like to buy something more “true Korean” and came across with following bows:
-the well known Hwarang
-the different bows from Song Mu Gung (smg)
-the different bows the company goongdo (ymg??)

Unfortunately beside the Kaya bows just the Hwarang is known in Germany. Is there any great difference between the Hwarang, the smg Laminated Horn Bow and the goongdo standard bow?
I am looking for something close to the original Korean horn bow but much more simple in handling. Can you prefer a bow which I can buy in Germany? I got an answer from smg, they would ship to Germany and it would be possible to pay with paypal.
Thanks a lot for your help
Best regards from Germany (I hope my english is not too bad)
Florian

Thumbs up

Re: Trad. Korean Bows you can buy in Europe

Welcome Florian.
The bows you quote are, I suppose, one and the same with 'Hwarang' being the trade name used by our Bluelake. SMG and YMG both are excellent replicas of the Korean hornbow, with slight variations in materials.
I will leave Bluelake fill you in with the details.

Thumbs up

As Hun said, Hwarang is my trade name for the bows (although it has almost become a generic name for this type of bow, like Kleenex is for facial tissues).  The bows I sell are made by Yeonmugung (YMG); however, they do not make the hybrid horn/laminate like Songmugung (SMG).  The YMG bow is very beautifully crafted, including black leather-wrapped handle and natural birch bark.  I used to also sell SMG--which makes fine bows, too--but their not using natural birch bark was a deal breaker for many of my customers.  I also accept PayPal.

Thumbs up

I bought an artificial horn bow bow directly from  Songmugung http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm. Prices are 200 to 250 USD, shipment is 50 USD. I received here in France in 5 days.

The bow is magic, despite artificial birch bark.

Olivier

Thumbs up

in germany you can buy the kaya ktb and the windfighter over several shops
get mine always from aixbow.de

Thumbs up

6 (edited by EM 2012-06-30 12:57:30)

Hello,

about windfighter and K*y* KTB ...

I recently broke 2 Windfighters, each one after roughly 300 arrows, 1 or 2 weeks after receiving them (the second one in replacement for the first). In each of them, one of the limbs began to crack on the back.

Shortly after that, I also broke my KTB (after 1 year of satisfactory usage, roughly 200- 300 arrows a week). Difficult to say what happened exactly to the limbs (they are covered with pseudo-leather), but the string flew away as the nock of my arrow split in two, then I noticed that one of the limb was much weaker that the other.

With these three bows, i used the thumb release,  with a draw lenght of about 31 inches or 32 inches (KTB) or 32 inches or 33 inches (Windfighter) ,  shooting 100 (bamboo) arrows in sessions of 1h30,  2 or 3 times a week, at short distances (10m, 20m, sometimes 40m).

Does someone have an interpretation ?

Maybe those bows can't stand more that ~5 shots every 20 mn, as when they are  used for long distance Korean archery ?

Although I was addicted to this kind of bows and to thumb release, I'm now wondering whether it is appropriate to go on with Korean bows. While waiting for a replacement windfighter, I'm using a longbow and mediterranean release. Very sad to say, but it suddenly seems so much easier, secure, and reliable.

Thumbs up

That's very strange, as I shoot Korean bows (for long periods at a time), and have always found them to be some of the toughest, most durable bows in the world.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

That's very strange, as I shoot Korean bows (for long periods at a time), and have always found them to be some of the toughest, most durable bows in the world.

Thank you Bluelake, this is encouraging :-)   

In my archery club, i'm the only one who breaks bows and the only one who uses Korean bows with long draw and thumb release - hope there is no hidden link between those two facts   :-) 

So, i'll go on with a third replacement Windfighter (if the seller is ok to continue this ordeal) ;

I'm also waiting for a k*y* KTB 52 inches (will require months of waiting, apparently...) and I hope it will last one year at least (like my previous KTB 48 inches). After all, one year duration for ~150 Euros is almost a good deal for a tough and durable bow that does not require maintenance.

Thumbs up

I can't comment on the Windfighter, as I've not shot one, but I've shot the Kaya KTB a lot and have never experienced a breakage with one.  I have a great relationship with the company and love their products; as a matter of fact, I'll be joining them twice this month--in three weeks, my son and I will fly out to Boston to demonstrate Korean trad archery for them and a couple days after that, we will drive out to Pennsylvania to do the same at the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous.

Thumbs up

I have read of broken Windfighters on another blog ( can't remember which ) but the solution suggested was to serve the weak parts of the bow- namely where the limbs connect to the ears and where the riser connects to the limbs. I have a Hungarian bow with just this sort of serving. I have also heard that the Windfighter is a pretty good bow so a bit of preventative maintence might be of help.

Thumbs up

11 (edited by EM 2012-07-01 16:51:27)

bluelake wrote:

I have a great relationship with the company and love their products

I did also like their KTB very much (and hope I'll be happy with  the next one that I'll have).

And I've seen the vids you made with the company : waiting for more ! 
(for instance : more on form and stance & adaptation to ~short range shooting ;  and also about limits : max draw and risks ; max twisting of the bow and risks).

Thumbs up

john dann wrote:

weak parts of the bow- namely where the limbs connect to the ears and where the riser connects to the limbs.

In the 2 cases I experienced with the windfighter, one of the limb began to crack on the back, around the middle of the limb (or maybe around the fist third of the limb : a bit closer to the handle).

Can't see exactly what is the problem with the ktb : at first glance it seems intact, but it is weakened around the middle of the upper limb, maybe in two points. The rest seems ok : siyah, bridges, handle, bow cover, servings, ...

Thumbs up

broke also 1 windfighter and second is on its way.

my ktb goes strong on,

may dealer said he has seen windfightrers fail from time to time, but not a single ktb made trouble

@blue, is there any drawlenght max given on a ktb?

Thumbs up

It's about the same as for the Hwarang--you probably aren't going to get more than 33" or so for a standard.  However, they have janggung and jangjanggung (long and extra long) versions, which can add some draw length.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

I can't comment on the Windfighter, as I've not shot one, but I've shot the Kaya KTB a lot and have never experienced a breakage with one.  I have a great relationship with the company and love their products; as a matter of fact, I'll be joining them twice this month--in three weeks, my son and I will fly out to Boston to demonstrate Korean trad archery for them and a couple days after that, we will drive out to Pennsylvania to do the same at the Eastern Traditional Archery Rendezvous.

Have you already gone to Boston.  Is this a private demonstration?

Thumbs up

16 (edited by chosonguy 2012-07-30 19:40:02)

bluelake wrote:

Have you already gone to Boston?  Is/was this a private demonstration or open to the public and still able to attend?

Thumbs up

I'm back--actually, I've also already driven to ETAR in Pennsylvania and back.  The "Boston" (actually, it was in New Hampshire) event was not really a closed event, but I guess people signed up for it.

Thumbs up

18 (edited by Gabriel 2012-08-20 02:27:18)

I own a Windfighter 55#, i have it for a while, and i shoot lots of arrows, seems in good shape, and i hope it stays that way, i shoot 3 fingers release, i just can´t shoot mongolian release, i´ve tried.Now i also own a Hwarang which  i bought in Ledu-Qinghai during a tournament, so i´ll be using them at random, the serving of the Hwarang is quite thick, so i just use wood arrows with a wider nocks (they´re self nocks), the carbons i have don´t fit in the Hwarang serving, as it´s far too thick. It´s very sad to read such things are happening to the Windfighter, but if you´ve broken quite a few in a short period of time, it´s odd indeed. Long life to mine Windfighter!

Thumbs up

Gabriel,
The Hwarang is double served, remove it and re-serve, standard nocks will then fit ok.

Thumbs up

I´M AFRAID OF DAMAGING IT, SO, I´LL LEAVE THAT WAY. THE ONE I HAVE IS FROM YEUN MOO GOONG.

Thumbs up

I bought a #55 YMG from the festival too. Compared with my current #50 SMG, I feel YMG has a little stack in the last two inch  neutral Don't know if it 's only feeling or the bow is actually stack. I need to check it with a scale.

Thumbs up

Let me know how is it going, did you notice a lot of difference in drawing comparing 50# and 55#?

Thumbs up

Hun, what do you mean by double served?

Thumbs up

Double served means that you have string, then you have a layer of serving and then another layer of serving. You may remove one layer of serving to make the whole bundle suit conventional arrow nocks.

Thumbs up

Ohh thanks for the information, i had the impression that the serving thick string was sort of glued, so i can remove it right, good to know that, thanks Sissara, by the way i had some pictures of you from the Ledu Tournament in my facebook look for Gabriel Almeida, cheers bye!

Thumbs up