Topic: Quick hello...

Just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself on here.

My real name is Colm, a 30-something fella from Belfast, Northern Ireland who is currently living and working in the middle of South Korea.
I recently started learning Traditional Korean Archery at my local Jung (club) and was brought to a competition in Goesan to buy my first bow yesterday.  I am still working on the basics so I haven't shot an arrow yet as my club is very traditional and there is a strict process to learning here.

I am new to archery generally but hope that when I finally return home to Ireland that I will be able to bring some of this tradition back with me and possibly try other styles of archery too.

Cheers!

Thumbs up

Re: Quick hello...

Welcome, Colm! 

Yes, most places in Korea have a strict and long schedule for people new to the sport.  When I first started KTA (twenty years ago next year), I was "fast-tracked", which meant I shot a live arrow within a month (for many, it might be multiple months).  Although the progression can be tiresome, it has long-term benefits, which includes patience. 

Good luck with it and let us know if you have any questions.  We'd also like to hear about your experiences!

Thomas

Thumbs up

Just wanted to let you know that I moved to shooting the arrow attached to a line this week and today to fully drawing the bow whilst firing attached to the line.
I was told this evening that I will probably shoot at the targets next week - which I was really excited to hear!

I am getting to practice everyday after work as the Jung is only 5 mins away from my apartment which is really handy!

Thumbs up

IrishArcher wrote:

Just wanted to let you know that I moved to shooting the arrow attached to a line this week and today to fully drawing the bow whilst firing attached to the line.
I was told this evening that I will probably shoot at the targets next week - which I was really excited to hear!

I am getting to practice everyday after work as the Jung is only 5 mins away from my apartment which is really handy!

Congrats, IA!

Thumbs up

Started shooting arrows on Monday... hit the target too so I am pleased with that but I need to really work on my technique now so that I can regularly hit the target as much as possible (as the aim in archery anyway!).

Really enjoying it and already considering my next bow purchase!

Thumbs up