1 (edited by Felidae 2012-09-10 04:16:59)

Topic: passionate beginner from Australia

Hello everyone,

my realname is Roy, I am 34 years old, I was born and grew up in Germany, but later when I married an Aussi girl, I immigrated to Australia. I am passionate about Cats, my Hyundai Accent and most recently Korean Traditional Archery and Korea itself.

16 years ago in Germany, when I was in my teens I developed an interest in archery and it was pure coincidence, but my first bow was a Traditional Korean Bow from Samick. I greatly enjoyed shooting that bow, but had no idea about the Korean martial art of gukgung. 8 and a half years ago I immigrated to Australia and took that bow with me, but it was stolen shortly after my arrival. A month ago I finally decided to get back into archery and tried to purchase again a Korean Traditional Bow. It was very difficult to find one here in Australia, but I finally found an archery store that had one in stock and it arrived last week.

I am an absolute beginner and as my first practice rounds have shown me, I need to learn things from the basic level up. I am fascinated by gukgung to the level that I now started to save up money to go next year April to Korea and attend for one week Coach Kim Archery School in Goesan to properly learn at least the basics of Korean Traditional Archery. But until then I do hope to educate myself to some degree via the internet and books if I can find any.

I sadly don't have any Korean friends and it seems that gukgung jungs (Clubs) are non existent in Australia let alone anywhere near where I live. And I also can't speak or read Korean, oh though I might start looking into learning some in the near future. But thankfully I found this forum which seems to be full of information about Korean Traditional Archery.

I also seen in some youtube videos that there is a book by Thomas Duvernay that would be a perfect starting point for me, but I haven't been able to find where I could get it from. Maybe someone here knows where to get it from (physical or as an ebook).

The other thing I struggle with is finding a thumb ring and other Korean Traditional Archery equipment like the bow-cover and so on. Maybe someone knows any Korean based archery shops that would supply internationally their goods and that either have an english webpage/onlineshop or someone that speaks english and that I could simply phone in regard to ordering items.

Hopefully I can learn from this forum and its users' personal experiences some to get myself started.

~Felidae

Thumbs up

Re: passionate beginner from Australia

I would happy to carve you a thumbring but I am not sure if sending a piece of carved buffalo horn to aus will against aus law?

Thumbs up

Felidae wrote:

I also seen in some youtube videos that there is a book by Thomas Duvernay that would be a perfect starting point for me, but I haven't been able to find where I could get it from. Maybe someone here knows where to get it from (physical or as an ebook).

Here I am  smile   The book is $30, which includes shipping.

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

I would happy to carve you a thumbring but I am not sure if sending a piece of carved buffalo horn to aus will against aus law?

Thank you very much for the offer! I am trying right now to figure out if buffalo horn are banned from import here, I know for sure that dear horn and antlers are, but not quite sure about buffalo horn >.<

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Felidae wrote:

After reading a bit on the forums late yesterday evening I kinda guessed as much that you must be Thomas Duvernay  smile and was going to contact you regarding your book, thank you for responding.

I would love to buy one right away, but when I follow the link in the books section of the forums it just brings the 404 Not Found message.

Do you accept payment via paypal? And if so what email address will I deposit the money into?

Thumbs up

Felidae wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Felidae wrote:

After reading a bit on the forums late yesterday evening I kinda guessed as much that you must be Thomas Duvernay  smile and was going to contact you regarding your book, thank you for responding.

I would love to buy one right away, but when I follow the link in the books section of the forums it just brings the 404 Not Found message.

Do you accept payment via paypal? And if so what email address will I deposit the money into?

Yeah, the Joomla version of my website is having problems, so I have to do things kind of manually now.  Yes, you can send PayPal to my goongdo@hotmail.com address.

T

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Yeah, the Joomla version of my website is having problems, so I have to do things kind of manually now.  Yes, you can send PayPal to my goongdo@hotmail.com address.

T

Thank you very much, just sent the payment and put my postal address in the paypal message, looking forward to read up and learn.

@sissara: I am still waiting for a call back from customs with the final ok, but it looks like I might be able to take you up on your offer. If I understood the guy from customs right it would be permitted basically as long as the waterbuffolo is not classed as an endangered species. He said he would confirm this for me and give me a call back. smile

Thumbs up

Felidae wrote:
bluelake wrote:

T

Thank you very much, just sent the payment and put my postal address in the paypal message, looking forward to read up and learn.

@sissara: I am still waiting for a call back from customs with the final ok, but it looks like I might be able to take you up on your offer. If I understood the guy from customs right it would be permitted basically as long as the waterbuffolo is not classed as an endangered species. He said he would confirm this for me and give me a call back. smile

The book is packed and ready to go.

Re: waterbuffalo horn--no where in the world is it endangered; in many areas, there are more WB than there are people.

Thumbs up +1

Felidae wrote:

Sounds good news. your may give me the measurement of your thumb knuckcle 1) width 2) thickness I could start making it this weekend. You may have only one color option, black as I do not have albino horn at this moment.  big_smile
http://www.ilovegkr.com/graphics/techniq/hands/thumbb.jpg

Last time my australian friend told me about importing of some kind of organic materials to aus may require fumigation... with recipient cost. That 's why I asked.   smile

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

Sounds good news. your may give me the measurement of your thumb knuckcle 1) width 2) thickness I could start making it this weekend. You may have only one color option, black as I do not have albino horn at this moment.  big_smile
http://www.ilovegkr.com/graphics/techniq/hands/thumbb.jpg

Last time my australian friend told me about importing of some kind of organic materials to aus may require fumigation... with recipient cost. That 's why I asked.   smile

It is good news, apparently Asian waterbuffolo horn is allowed for import into Australia.  smile

Now I am not completely sure how to measure for with and thickness, do you want the measurement taken by wrapping a tape-measure around my knuckle as to find out what the diameter around my knuckle is or should I measure differently?

Also can you please give me an estimate of your prize for the thumbring with shipping as I have to see if its within my budget due to trying to save up money for my trip to Korea next year.

Thanks again!

Thumbs up

Measurement of circumference wont work for this kind of interlocking thumb ring.
I will need width and thickness of the drawhand thumb knuckle as the ring will lock at this place.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2012-09-12105741.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2012-09-12105704.jpg

For the price, it could be great. You firstly need to master the technique. And then show the other archers how fun and cool thumb draw is. You need to build skill and join some international traditional archery festival. Then you may then buy me a meal at the festival.  big_smile

If your place close to Sydney, you may learn some techniques from Bede as he is also a thumb shooter.

Thumbs up +1

sissara wrote:

Measurement of circumference wont work for this kind of interlocking thumb ring.
I will need width and thickness of the drawhand thumb knuckle as the ring will lock at this place.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2012-09-12105741.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/2012-09-12105704.jpg

For the price, it could be great. You firstly need to master the technique. And then show the other archers how fun and cool thumb draw is. You need to build skill and join some international traditional archery festival. Then you may then buy me a meal at the festival.  big_smile

If your place close to Sydney, you may learn some techniques from Bede as he is also a thumb shooter.

First of all thank you very much for illustrating how to measure, I do not own currently a caliper, but I am going to borrow one tomorrow to take my measurements, sorry for taking so long.

You are very generous and your prize sounds rather like a lot of fun!  yikes  I seriously hope that I one day do get good enough and will have the chance to meet you at such an archery festival to buy you a great tasting meal!  big_smile Thank you!

But please if you do require for your service or/and the postage payment, please let me know I am more then willing to compensate you for your time and effort.

I actually live in a small regional town in Queensland by the name Chinchilla which sadly is about 1000km from Sydney  sad  the closest archery club is 190km from here, but I am thinking about joining it anyway even if I only go every two weeks or so it would be nice to connect with other archers.

I have also talked to another archer in town and heard there is a third bloke that practices archery in town. I am currently in talks with the local shooting club to see if we can maybe use their shooting range for archery, maybe down the track if things work out we even can create a local archery club. Time will tell.

For now I am just shooting in my yard (which is just big enough for about 30m distance shooting).

Here a picture of my current archery equipment (I made the target myself out of two insulationboards and a craftwoodboard it works quite well sofar):
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/6d03e5f0.jpg

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard!  You have a very big backyard!!!   smile

I hope your KTB and thumb ring will turn out okay.

Thumbs up

Felidae , hi from a fellow Aussie!

I'm down in Sydney. Shoot at Warringah Archers its a target club, does shoot a fiar bit of clout as well.
Get my arse kicked all the time by a lot of the kids.
http://warringaharchers.com.au/

Which shop was it that you got the bow from ?

Thumbs up

@sissara:

Alright I finally got my measurements  big_smile

For the width (as shown in your first picture) it is 21mm and for the thickness (as shown in your second picture) it is 18mm. If you need anything else let me know friend and thank you again for making me a thumb ring ^__^ !

Thumbs up

@Warbow:

Thank you Warbow and yes luckily big yards are a big advantage of towns in regional Australia ^_^ lots of space out here LOL

@Alex:

Hi! Nice to hear from a fellow Aussi and I bet you could kick my ass in shooting  tongue  I have a great deal to learn.

I got my bow from this store in WA: http://www.archeryequipmentwa.com.au/ But I ran into some trouble as you can see in the BOWS thread on this forum and are in talks with the store owner to see if I can get my faulty bow replaced, I do hope that things will work out and that I can end up recommending him, but I am still waiting for his answer and just don't know yet  sad

Thumbs up