1 (edited by teucro 2012-09-22 12:59:58)

Topic: How much arrow weigth to be safe with Kaya KTB

Hi,

recently I bought some carbon arrows spined 500 and I'm  playing well with them without adding weight  at the tip.
The complete arrow weigths 330 grain.
My KAYA KTB bow is marked 45# and my draw length is about 32, then my guess is  50 - 55 # at full draw;
can i consider safe shooting above arrows ? I read some place that arrows must weigth 5 grain per pound of bow to be safe , then (330/55 = 6 grain per pound ) it should be safe.

But I don't know if KAYA KTB is built  respecting such requirement.

Anybody knows ?

BTW the chronograph measured speed of above setup is 205 fps - I had the chance to measure during a 3D tournament.

Thumbs up

Re: How much arrow weigth to be safe with Kaya KTB

I think KAYA KTB rate DW at 31" so your 330 gr arrow may work fine as 7 gpp.
If you have chrono around, you may make a regression plot with different arrows and plot a regression curve. The dangerous zone will looks like plateau.
Korean bows generally have very low limb weight per working pound. So they are less prone for low gpp and dry fire damage as less inertia could be delivered to bow's structure.
I, however, shoot 8-9 gpp  big_smile for my bow's safety, arrow stability and long distance flight.

Thumbs up

Sissara, thank you for the hint, the only drawback could be putting handas on a cronograp to make some experiments.

My guess is the bow- arrow system efficiency decreases if overstressed, then a speed plateau if aroow too ligth - correct ?

Regards

Thumbs up

Limbs are theoretically fastest when dryfire, (zero arrow mass).
When arrow weight is very low (10,20 or 100 grains pellet) limbs are moving near dryfire speed because total mass (limbs+arrow) is not very different from limbs mass alone.

Thumbs up