1 (edited by Felidae 2012-09-14 01:46:01)

Topic: KTB from bowKorea problem - UPDATE

I need again some help from you experienced people here.

I got my Korean traditional bow from bowKorea now for a week and I found that I have troubles with the alignment of the string.

I use Thomas method from this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0-lDkRB … ure=relmfu) to string it and think I do it right, but the string just never seems to sit straight in the middle.

Even when I adjust it, once I pull it back and hold it for a while or shoot arrows, it goes back into this slightly off-center position as you can see in these pictures:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/df0722d4.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/a6cb141b.jpg

Does anyone know if I do something wrong or has it to do with the bow itself?
And is it actually a real problem or just cosmetic?

I can't find any information in English about the bow I bought from a store in Western Australia, does anyone know it or the company that makes these and are they alright bows in general?

Here a picture of the print on the bow:
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/e43b6b38.jpg

Thumbs up

Re: KTB from bowKorea problem - UPDATE

Faulty bow. I recommend to claim and replace!

Thumbs up

Agree with jchocz above. The carved string alignment ridge on the siyah is obviously off center. Send it back for a replacement. You can't fix this.

Thumbs up

Thank you two for your opinions on my problem, I've contacted the seller with my issue and are currently waiting for an answer back.

I really hope that he is good and honest and will replace the bow. I was so exited to get the bow and hope that it was a honest mistake that I received a lemon and not an attempt to just palm it off to an inexperienced beginner.

Thumbs up

Alright I just got of the phone from the store owner and to be honest I have a bad gut feeling  hmm

He started by saying, that he checked the pictures I emailed him and that to be honest it is not that bad for one of those bows... he also asked me what I expect from an $170 bow... some time during the conversation he said that these are no real bows and that only kids practice with these over in Korea.

I tried to stand my ground and told him that all sort of people use these type of practice bows in Korea (I don't think to many kids can pull a 50LLB anyhow >.<) and that even at a price of $170 and factory made, the bow should be free of faults and have at the very least straight limbs... I offered him to send some more pictures to illustrate the gravity of the problem, but he said that it is not necessary and to send the bow back to him, so he could contact the manufacturer and see to what resolution we can come.

I really wish I had found these forums before buying this bow from a store that does not seem to know very much about Korean Traditional Archery. I spend $407 for a faulty bow and arrows that will be too short once I start shooting with a thumb ring, when I could have instead spent a little more and ordered one of Thomas Hwarang Bows or one of the Kaya bows instead  sad

I just hope that I can get a defect-free replacement and don't end up having wasted a lot of money...

Here are some more pictures of the defect, by closer examining I found that the problem lies with the lower limb which is NOT straight once the string is on the bow:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/f32f8f34.jpg
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r630/elementalcat/07441ca1.jpg

Thumbs up

The only time I had a limb issue with the Hwarang bow was when the bowyer accidentally sent me a Korean-market bow, instead of an international-market bow (Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung).  I wonder if your bow might not be a similar case...  Still, it is true that you, once in a while, get a defective bow.  However, in the case of the bows I sell, I check them out as much as possible before shipping.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

The only time I had a limb issue with the Hwarang bow was when the bowyer accidentally sent me a Korean-market bow, instead of an international-market bow (Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung).  I wonder if your bow might not be a similar case...  Still, it is true that you, once in a while, get a defective bow.  However, in the case of the bows I sell, I check them out as much as possible before shipping.

I've sent the bow back earlier this afternoon, I guess for now I can only wait.

If my bow would have the Korean market limbs, that you described would only one limb be offset (which is the case with my bow) or would both limbs be offset? 

I wouldn't be worried  if  the bow is intentionally made like this, but if it is a defective bow I do hope I can get a  replacement or in the worst case scenario a refund to buy a bow from someone else.

Thumbs up

Generally, it would be both limbs.

Thumbs up +1

9 (edited by Felidae 2012-09-26 11:08:10)

Another update:

I talked today with the dealer, who told me that he had received the bow. He was quite friendly and told me that he had tried to contact the manufacturer of my bow (bowKorea), only to find out that that company has closed its doors and is no longer operational.

Because the bow is indeed faulty, he has contacted Samick and will send me a Samick Korean Traditional Bow as replacement.

I used to have a Samick years ago and found it to be a good starter bow, but I would like to hear the opinions of you guys here as you have much more experience.

Thumbs up

Felidae wrote:

Another update:Because the bow is indeed faulty, he has contacted samick and will send me a

??? Samick is a different company than Kaya. Kaya KTB is more traditional and better bow.

Thumbs up

Hey all,
I am new here and have had the same problem with my KTB.  I got mine from lancaster archery and through research thought this a really good bow.  Should I send mine back also? the top twists after a few shots and the string will not sit straight no matter what you do?  I need advice if anyone can give it.  I saw on one of the posts that it normally is both, but I cant see a twist on the bottom of the bow. thanks for the help in advance

Thumbs up

I too have the same issue with the three KTBs I got from the States.  I wonder why Kaya sent Korean tillered KTBs to the oversea market.  Other than that the string is off centre, the bows are fine structural wise.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

I too have the same issue with the three KTBs I got from the States.  I wonder why Kaya sent Korean tillered KTBs to the oversea market.  Other than that the string is off centre, the bows are fine structural wise.

I've never come across Korean-tillered KTBs in the States.

Thumbs up

kalichakra wrote:

Hey all,
I am new here and have had the same problem with my KTB.  I got mine from lancaster archery and through research thought this a really good bow.  Should I send mine back also? the top twists after a few shots and the string will not sit straight no matter what you do?  I need advice if anyone can give it.  I saw on one of the posts that it normally is both, but I cant see a twist on the bottom of the bow. thanks for the help in advance

I think if only your top is twisted than it does sound as if you have exactly the same problem as me. As I said earlier I would not have worried about it if it was just a Korean market bow, but those as Thomas said have both limbs modified, not just one.

So it just seems that it is a manufacturing fault and as I paid full price for my bow I think it is just right to expect a defect-free  item for my money. Which is why I claimed and getting a replacement send. If your dealer is honest I'm sure he would do the same.

Just out of curiosity what is the brand of your bow?

Thumbs up

felidae,  I actually have straight up kaya ktb.  I made sure of this before I bought it. Now, to the issue. I actually solved it and it was my fault for the way I stored it.  I fixed the problem by adjusting the limb gently by hand then stringing it and leaving it for about 1 1/2 hours. I made the grooves on the pads fixated and I don't have a bend anymore. I have shot it ruffly 200 times since the fix and is still straight.   Just out of curiosity was your ktb carbon based or fiberglass limbs. I forgot to look at your pictures before I wrote this.  If you still need a bow I still think this bow is awsome and there is a guy who sells them straight from kaya themselves so you know your getting the real thing..go to andoverarchery.com, best of luck and hope it all works out for you

Felidae wrote:
kalichakra wrote:

Hey all,

I think if only your top is twisted than it does sound as if you have exactly the same problem as me. As I said earlier I would not have worried about it if it was just a Korean market bow, but those as Thomas said have both limbs modified, not just one.

So it just seems that it is a manufacturing fault and as I paid full price for my bow I think it is just right to expect a defect-free  item for my money. Which is why I claimed and getting a replacement send. If your dealer is honest I'm sure he would do the same.

Just out of curiosity what is the brand of your bow?

Thumbs up

kalichakra, how should we store the KTB?  How did you originally store it?

Thumbs up

warbow,
    Just so we are clear there is no clear direction anyone gives for this so its just my opinion. How ever I talked with the guy from andover and he thought I was right on. My came with a case so I started putting it in a sock sleeve in case and flat under my bed. I was hanging it by the case handle ,without the sock sleeve, on a closet handle for awhile and think thats how I got the twist due to gravity pull and the way it sits in the case. Also If you have a bow shelf use a sock covering or whatever u use and hang it curve side up. Hope this was somewhat informational and again my opinion only. If someone else on here knows something better or different I am all ears.

Thumbs up

Felidae, i have the same problem with my Hwarang YMG bow i bought from him in Qinghai in July, i align the string in the midle of the bridge, but one i shoot i goes sideways from the middle, and if i keep shooting the string i´ll come out of the bow. After every shot i have to realign. But i can´t send it to Korean, i´ll have to keep it.

Thumbs up

Gabriel wrote:

Felidae, i have the same problem with my Hwarang YMG bow i bought from him in Qinghai in July, i align the string in the midle of the bridge, but one i shoot i goes sideways from the middle, and if i keep shooting the string i´ll come out of the bow. After every shot i have to realign. But i can´t send it to Korean, i´ll have to keep it.

That is not good, not good at all.

I have been waiting two weeks for an update from my dealer on when I can expect my replacement bow to arrive and he still didn't know. So I arranged with him that he would send me instead a dozen new carbon arrows and I have now bought and wait for the delivery of a new SMG artificial horn bow from Korea. So hopefully this will be the end of my odyssey to buy a Korean bow @.@

Thumbs up

Hi Bluelake,

bluelake wrote:

(Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung).

I did not even understand that !!  (and I think I've read your book thouroughly).

Why souldn't we buy and use Korean bow (tillered to the arrow side of the bow) ?

Aren't we trying to shoot exactly like the Korean do (thumb release, and after release, bow rotation to the arrow side, etc.) ?

I'm now doubting whether what I'm trying to do (for 2 years and more with a Kaya KTB) is at all possible with bows tillered for the International market !

What do you think ?

Regards,
EM

Thumbs up

EM wrote:

Hi Bluelake,

bluelake wrote:

(Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung).

I did not even understand that !!  (and I think I've read your book thouroughly).

Why souldn't we buy and use Korean bow (tillered to the arrow side of the bow) ?

Aren't we trying to shoot exactly like the Korean do (thumb release, and after release, bow rotation to the arrow side, etc.) ?

I'm now doubting whether what I'm trying to do (for 2 years and more with a Kaya KTB) is at all possible with bows tillered for the International market !

What do you think ?

Regards,
EM

Many of the bows used here in Korea, by Korean archers, have a slight tilt to the arrow side, just like a true horn bow.  The problem being for Western archers is that it is hard to use such a bow if one wishes to shoot with fingers, rather than a thumb ring, as the tilt will be towards the side opposite where the arrow is placed.  If you are just going to shoot with a thumb ring, then it's not a problem.

I only sell bows that are center-strung, which can be shot off either side, for either thumb ring or finger shooting.

Thumbs up

22 (edited by EM 2012-11-01 08:46:22)

bluelake wrote:

Many of the bows used here in Korea, by Korean archers, have a slight tilt to the arrow side, just like a true horn bow.

Thanks Bluelake,

If true Korean bows have a tilt to the arrow side, isn't it for a practical reason that is definitely useful to the archer (who uses a thumb ring) ?

Didn't you suggest that this tilt helps the bow to spin easily to the arrow side, in the archer's hand, after release ?
This  is what I've difficulty to produce with my KTBs. [I use a thumb ring]. And more, I can't always avoid the slap of the string on the bow arm.

Clumsiness of the archer... ok.... but after two years of trying and 2 broken bows... I'm wondering whether it is also due to the inappropriate behaviour of the bow. Trying to produce the spin of an internationalized bow obliges the archer to exaggerate the torque on the handle  ??? That would stress the bow and explain some of the breakages some of us complain about ???

Well... I'm addicted to KTB+thumb ring... so I've bought two other KTB (kaya, normal 48 inches and one 52 inches). But I don't try to apply any torque anymore. And I don't draw over 30 or 32 inches anymore. All that because I'm afraid of breakages.  A bit sad...  but it works... till now   :-)

Thumbs up

EM wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Many of the bows used here in Korea, by Korean archers, have a slight tilt to the arrow side, just like a true horn bow.

Thanks Bluelake,

If true Korean bows have a tilt to the arrow side, isn't it for a practical reason that is definitely useful to the archer (who uses a thumb ring) ?

Didn't you suggest that this tilt helps the bow to spin easily to the arrow side, in the archer's hand, after release ?
This  is what I've difficulty to produce with my KTBs. [I use a thumb ring]. And more, I can't always avoid the slap of the string on the bow arm.

Clumsiness of the archer... ok.... but after two years of trying and 2 broken bows... I'm wondering whether it is also due to the inappropriate behaviour of the bow. Trying to produce the spin of an internationalized bow obliges the archer to exaggerate the torque on the handle  ??? That would stress the bow and explain some of the breakages some of us complain about ???

Well... I'm addicted to KTB+thumb ring... so I've bought two other KTB (kaya, normal 48 inches and one 52 inches). But I don't try to apply any torque anymore. And I don't draw over 30 or 32 inches anymore. All that because I'm afraid of breakages.  A bit sad...  but it works... till now   :-)

With the string slightly to the arrow side, there is less bow for the arrow to have to work around.  When paired with a correct form and release, it makes for a very smooth shot.  Having the slight tiller on Korean domestic bows works well, as the bows are intended for individuals shooting on a certain side with a thumb ring.  However, if one plans to use both fingers and thumb ring, it doesn't work.  The bows I sell internationally are all center-strung, so anyone can shoot them.

Regarding arm slap, that is a matter of correct form and release.  When I first started shooting Korean style twenty years ago, I got an "archer's kiss" all the time; it was my form and release.  When I corrected those two things, I never had any more problems.

I have never had a bow break, whether it be a YMG or SMG Hwarang or a Kaya KTB.  That's not to say it hasn't happened to others, because it clearly has (such as yours), but it isn't always the fault of the bow (I have no idea in the case of your bows--the bowyer would need to look at them to see what happened).  In the very few bows my customers bought that had some type of failure, most were attributable to user error, such as flexing the bow in the wrong direction.  Regarding Kaya KTB bows in particular, some earlier versions had problems, but have improved greatly over the years; Kaya is constantly working to improve their bows so, if there are any problems, let Freddie know.

T

Thumbs up

24 (edited by EM 2012-11-10 10:12:21)

bluelake wrote:

The bows I sell internationally are all center-strung, so anyone can shoot them.

Thanks for the answer Bluelake,

what if someone wanted a true korean bow ?

(natural or synthetic, but with the string slightly to the arrow side)

would you sell such a bow ?

Thumbs up

EM wrote:
bluelake wrote:

The bows I sell internationally are all center-strung, so anyone can shoot them.

Thanks for the answer Bluelake,

what if someone wanted a true korean bow ?

(natural or synthetic, but with the string slightly to the arrow side)

would you sell such a bow ?

It's possible.

Thumbs up