Topic: In search of bamboo arrows.

Dear members,

I've recently signed on the KTA forum so that I may find some answers about where and how to buy arrows for my KB.
I live in Japan and after a long search to find a place to shoot, I have taken up the challenge to start shooting again. However, I am still in need of arrows.
I have tried to search for Japanese traders of arrows, but it seems arrows meant for recurve shooting are most popular.
I wonder if anyone here on this forum has any idea on where to buy bamboo arrows for a KB in Japan, or knows anyone living in Japan who's bought them, for that matter.
Of course I could save myself the trouble and just buy a set of arrows in Korea, or my home country Holland, but I'd only save the trouble and not my money...
My KB is 40# @ 31" draw length.
Hence, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Thank you for your time and patience.

Yours,

Niels

Thumbs up

Re: In search of bamboo arrows.

Katsumoto wrote:

idea on where to buy bamboo arrows for a KB [...]   My KB is 40# @ 31 [inches] draw length.

Hi,

Not sure this will help you, but that's how I do :

I've the same type of bow (KTB 40#@31 inches) and I buy bamboo shafts on ebay where there are several vendors but I stick to stmmrr1968, for now, because he offers better prices (ex. 100 shafts = 100 USD ; add transportation) and quality is good enough (at least for me).

Those bamboo shafts are well straightened, their spin is more or less uniform, but there is variability in : weight, diameter, disposition of the nodes along the shaft.

I buy locally modern feathers and standard metals points (parallel screw fit) for wooden arrows. I cut the nock directly into the bamboo (+ reinforcement with artificial sinew and glue) or I make wooden nocks and insert them in the arrow shafts (following more or less the traditional korean process).

Far from perfect, the end result is still better that the archer (me) and the total cost of one arrow is as low as ~5 Euros. OK this also requires time, a knife, a small saw blade, small files, glue, fletching jig, a small jig for holding and screwing the arrow points, and... the progressive building of some manual skills (or alternately : learning to use power tools ?).

Thumbs up

Hello Katsumoto,
Pseudosasa Japonica Japanese Arrow bamboo is an excellent alternative. I have made many arrows from the mature plants in my garden.

Thumbs up

Hello guys,

Thanks for the information! I will give eBay a try as well as looking for the Japanese arrow.
I have found several traditional kyudo shops which sell Japanese bamboo arrows. I'll
give them a ring.

Cheers!

Thumbs up