Topic: New Shooter

Hello all I'm a new shooter to Traditional Korean Archery.  I need some help on my draw and anchor point.  I don't think I have any consistency at this point and I feel like the bow is stacking pretty fierce when I try to draw it back to my ear like I see in some photos of Korean Archers.

Thumbs up

Re: New Shooter

I got no advice other than good luck. I am a new shooter as well so it's practice,practice,practice.

Thumbs up

Scarecrow wrote:

Hello all I'm a new shooter to Traditional Korean Archery.  I need some help on my draw and anchor point.  I don't think I have any consistency at this point and I feel like the bow is stacking pretty fierce when I try to draw it back to my ear like I see in some photos of Korean Archers.

First off Welcome to the site!!! Secondly what type of bow do you have and what is your Western draw length and unusual anchor point?

Thumbs up

Scarecrow wrote:

Hi Scarecrow,welcome .
When I first acquired my KTB(55#@31")a couple years ago I also felt that it was stacking.I hadn't shoot a bow for some years but my normal draw was about 27-28".After continuing to shoot it, I eventually was able to achieve a full 31" draw.I measured the draw weight and it was 56#@31".I hate to admit it but the only thing that was stacking was the shooter :-).You may be experiencing a similar phenomena.
Just keep shooting and enjoy it.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the welcome all!

I have a 29" draw conventional and the bow is the Kaya Korean Horse Bow from Three Rivers Archery.  It is a 45 at 31" so the stacking feeling is probably just me.  I just didn't want take a shot at damaging the bow.  My problem now is I cut my arrows to 29".  I am used to the Mediterranean draw so I am drawing to just under my jaw (like I was shooting a release) with the string touching the corner of my mouth and the tip of my nose.  This seems like a consistent anchor for me because I am familiar with it.  But In the photos/videos I've seen, the archers draw back to their shoulders and I feel like I am kinda all over the place.  My goal is to eventually shoot 3-D matches in the traditional class and if I feel confident enough try hunting with it.  Thanks again for the help.

Scarecrow wrote:

Thumbs up

Scarecrow,

One important thing I'd say is don't necessarily try to imitate a picture of a thumb ring shooter, as the maximum draw of the bow won't change, but the draw length of the archer will.  The Kaya has three lengths of bow: regular, janggung (extra long), and jangjanggung (extra, extra long).  The first will probably draw back to about 33", the second an inch or two more, and the third to 36".  It isn't stacking that you are feeling, but the end of the draw for a particular bow.

Also, when drawing, you should probably draw a little lower, near your shoulder; if your arrows are the correct length for your draw, you are at full draw when the back of the point touches your bow-hand thumb.

I hope that helps!

Thomas

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip!  I took the bow out for another dedicated outing today and tried the lower draw point and it did feel more... right that way.  I could probably stand to have my arrows be a little longer so I am going to get to fletching.  Thanks again for all the help!  I am very glad that I found this board!

bluelake wrote:

Scarecrow,

One important thing I'd say is don't necessarily try to imitate a picture of a thumb ring shooter, as the maximum draw of the bow won't change, but the draw length of the archer will.  The Kaya has three lengths of bow: regular, janggung (extra long), and jangjanggung (extra, extra long).  The first will probably draw back to about 33", the second an inch or two more, and the third to 36".  It isn't stacking that you are feeling, but the end of the draw for a particular bow.

Also, when drawing, you should probably draw a little lower, near your shoulder; if your arrows are the correct length for your draw, you are at full draw when the back of the point touches your bow-hand thumb.

I hope that helps!

Thomas

Thumbs up