Topic: Newbie

Hey there,

I am new to Korean bows and am quite excited to figure out how to shoot with a thumb ring. I shoot a traditional recurve as well so my transition has been a bit difficult. I shoot left handed and was having real problems changing back and forth between bows until yesterday. On a whim I decided to try and shoot right handed with my Korean bow so I was shooting of the same side of both bows and it seems to have solved the problem.

One question I have is do any of you hunt with your bows?

I look forward to learning a pile about my bow and shooting on this forum so I will say my thanks now.

Chadwick

I shoot a 50lb Kaya and when I get arrow long enough I will have about a 32-33 inch draw.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by WarBow 2013-03-09 05:24:32)

Re: Newbie

Welcome aboard!  The 50# KTB will weigh about 75# @33"

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2U_ZszNQLo

Thumbs up

My thumb is getting quite sore from my thumb ring, is that common or could the ring be a little too small? Do many people use leather thumb rings? Eventually I would like to be able to shoot without one but I feel that is a long ways away.

While shooting yesterday I realized my draw is likely 31" or maybe just a little but longer. At this draw length my little bow as I call it seems to be hitting almost as hard as my 65#@28" recurve so that makes me happy.

I was hoping to take my KTB on a spring black bear hunt in may but after shooting yesterday I was almost ready to put it away. With the days getting longer I still have a few months to get some serious practice in so hopefully I can get my release smooth enough to stay consistent.

Thanks again
Chad

Thumbs up

Chadwck wrote:

My thumb is getting quite sore from my thumb ring, is that common or could the ring be a little too small? Do many people use leather thumb rings? Eventually I would like to be able to shoot without one but I feel that is a long ways away.

While shooting yesterday I realized my draw is likely 31" or maybe just a little but longer. At this draw length my little bow as I call it seems to be hitting almost as hard as my 65#@28" recurve so that makes me happy.

I was hoping to take my KTB on a spring black bear hunt in may but after shooting yesterday I was almost ready to put it away. With the days getting longer I still have a few months to get some serious practice in so hopefully I can get my release smooth enough to stay consistent.

Thanks again
Chad

Some thumb discomfort is common and should diminish over time.  It is possible, however, that you might have an ill-fitting thumb ring or you could be over-bowed.  However, don't give up!

Thumbs up

I don't plan on giving up, just a bad day shooting. I will keep at it with the thumb ring I have for now to see if it gets better, if it doesn't will likely have a leather one made. I have shot a bit wearing leather gloves and the only issue there is the skin pealing off my thumb.
I just bought my daughter a 3d turkey for the back yard so I am about to head out to see if I can kill it before she does.

Thumbs up +1

You might like to look into the thumb ring glove by Kaya.  It's a great alternative to a thumb ring, easy to use and can help ease you into the actual ring.

Thumbs up

My real goal is to get to where I can shoot without one.

Thumbs up

If that's your goal, I would recommend getting the thumb ring glove.  Even with it, after a full day of shooting it for the first time I couldn't feel my thumb for another day.

Welcome to the forum!

Blue lake is literally THE expert on korean archery in the Americas.

Thumbs up

Gee, thanks, Wooda2008  smile

If you want to be able to eventually shoot without a ring, you might like to contact someone into Kuksulwon, as that is the *only* way they shoot bows (even heavy draw weight ones).  Their founder doesn't allow thumb ring use.  Talk about hard core archers...

Thumbs up

Well I took my little Korean bow to the archery club tonight. There was only a couple of people there and boy were they surprised when they saw how fast it was. I had my recurve there as well and was switching back and forth. I shoot about the same amount of really good shots between the two bows but I find I am quite a bit more consistent with my recurve than my KTB. I am getting better with the thumb ring so that is making me happy.

I am finding that my 50lb KTB which I draw to 31

Thumbs up

Well today I decided to put down my recurve for the summer and focus on my Kaya.  I am a left handed shooter but for some reason I have been shooting right handed and having some success. My biggest problem has been consistency but I think I might have figured it out. I have lengthened my draw to the full length of my arrows(31 inches) and touch the fletching to my cheek as a reference point.

The other thing I have done is start shooting left handed as well, when I started today I was about 3feet to the left but by the end I was consistently hitting a 3D turkey @12yrds. It's not too great but it is much better than last time I tried. I will continue to practice both left and right hand shooting all summer. After today I am confident that I will be able to hunt with my little bow come fall.

Thumbs up