Topic: Reference point?

Do any of you have a reference point you use on your face when you draw your bows? I am just starting to lengthen out my draw, I am at 31inches right now but I am getting longer arrows so should be 32 or slightly more when the are ready. My new arrows will be about 33.5 and I think that would be too long for me and my little Kaya KTB. So far I am using the fletching against my cheek as a point of contact.

Thanks
Chad

Thumbs up

Re: Reference point?

Hi Chad,

Allthough not a reference at all I give you my feed-back. I'm shooting a 45# SMG, pulling to 32 with thumbring. I use to get my index finger against my upper jaws, at the back of the cheek. The bow string touches the cheek up the hand.

Again, this practice might be totally wrong wink You fellows please correct me!

Olivier

Thumbs up

Thanks,

A friend had some longer arrows the other night and let me fling a couple. I figure my draw will just over 32 in the end. I seemed to be able to see the target better with a longer draw so I am exited to be able to get some shooting in. I am planning on shooting a 3D event this weekend with my KTB unless the weather is crappy then I will use my trusty old recurve.

Thumbs up

So far I am using the arrow shaft against my cheek as a point of contact and it seems to be working a bit better. I shot my new longer arrows yesterday and they fly much better(seem to have less paradox) and much faster than the old ones. I hope to get some video soon so I can get some help with form and such.

Thumbs up

I have some pics from a shoot this weekend how do I post them?

Thumbs up

Chadwck wrote:

I have some pics from a shoot this weekend how do I post them?

You can either attach them to your message (where it says "Attachments") or use the IMG tag to point to what you have on another site.

Thumbs up

Here goes!

Post's attachments

Korean bow.jpg 339.02 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

here is me shooting left handed from a tree stand. I am a left handed shooter but have been shooting right handed for reasons unknown but I am really focussing on shooting left from now on.

Post's attachments

korean bow treestand.jpg 284.68 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

more pics

Post's attachments

koreanbow3.jpg 294.13 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

Scored a kill on the Sheep!

Post's attachments

koreanbow sheep.jpg 289.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up +1

I using a throw away arrow for this one as the target is floating on a pond. My arrow ended up in the drink. The arrow is 31inches the arrows in the rest of the pics are 33.5. I have decided that my draw length is just over 31.

Post's attachments

koreanbow alligator.jpg 298.41 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

Looks good.

Thumbs up

I scored a kill from the tree stand  as well. My goal is to shoot 100 arrows a day all summer and possibly hunt with this bow come fall. I am pretty confident up to 20yds but I still need to get way better before I feel I am ready to hunt.

Thumbs up

Duelling bows, this is me and my ten year old daughter. She smoked me on this shoot. My wife recently entered a draw for a high end compound bow and my daughter told her "If you win you can keep it at a friends house and go visit it or you will have to move out because this is a compound free house".

Post's attachments

duelingbows.jpg 283.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up +2

Cute  smile

Thumbs up

Here is another pic. I broke this arrow on a rock, I shot just under the belly of the target I was shooting at.

Post's attachments

flying arrow.jpg 287.97 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Thumbs up

Either you're practicing some extreme string walking or your nock point is a bit high. It doesn't look like you're using the bottom limb at all. Do you have any photos of you at full draw?

Thumbs up

My knock is/was high. I have corrected it since the weekend. My thumb was sliding up the string as I was getting ready to draw. I have changed it so my thumb doesn't touch the arrow at all, well not before the bow is drawn anyhow. There is some pics of me at full draw in this thread.

Thumbs up

Didn't mean to sound critical. Your full draw looks very good and not unbalanced at all. I had the same problem with slipping thumbrings when I first started. Found I was using the ring incorrectly,i.e. I was putting the string entirely on the hard surface of the ring's tab. I learned from Kay's thumbring book that the string should actually rest between the upper lip of the ring's cylinder and the inner skin of your thumb. Pinched there it doesn't slide. There are a series of slow motion videos done by the Romanian guys that show the thumbring release from every angle possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSGvLq3Fjc
You need to see the list of videos and watch several to get the complete picture.

Thumbs up

No problem, I'm gonna get this F'n thing figured out and kill and elk this fall so criticism is welcome.

Thumbs up