Topic: Bamboo Arrow help please

Hi all,

I am about to order some bamboo shafts, but before I do so I need some advice.
The seller of the shafts has advised me that I should order shafts approx 20# higher than my bow poundage.

So my question is:

What weight rating bamboo shafts should I purchase to suit my 38# SMG bow?

Thanks

Isa

Thumbs up

Re: Bamboo Arrow help please

Just to be clear, i shoot using the thumb draw technique, and the bamboo shaft supplier advised the higher weight rating arrows because of the thumb draw technique.

I have no idea about this. I have always used SMG carbon arrows with SMG bows. However I didn't bring any SMG carbon arrows with me back to UK, so now I have to sort some arrows out.

Thumbs up

Hi,

I'm using 75-80# bamboo shafts with my 45# SMG, with thumbring @32. Lower spined bamboo shafts would eventualy breack at a node when hitting the target at short distance (15 meters).

Regards,

Olivier

Thumbs up

Olivier Coulazou wrote:

Hi,

I'm using 75-80# bamboo shafts with my 45# SMG, with thumbring @32. Lower spined bamboo shafts would eventualy breack at a node when hitting the target at short distance (15 meters).

Regards,

Olivier

You bow weight is 45# @ 32" am I correct? So that's roughly 35# @ 28" i think

Do your arrows paradox to the right as you are using such high spine arrows?

Whats you point weight like?

Thumbs up

Thumbs up

Yes, 45# @ 32.
I use 120 grain Top Hat points.
Don't know about my paradox direction.

Regards, Olivier

Thumbs up

7 (edited by gpang788 2013-06-23 10:59:33)

Olivier Coulazou wrote:

Don't know about my paradox direction.

Regards, Olivier

I am assuming you shoot right handed according to your profile pic. When you point your bow straight towards the target, do your arrows fly straight towards the target or to the right?

Thumbs up

I currently using a bit overspined shafts for SMG #50, both carbon and bambooo. They fly straight as long as your technique is correct.

Thumbs up +1

sissara wrote:

I currently using a bit overspined shafts for SMG #50, both carbon and bambooo. They fly straight as long as your technique is correct.

What's weight at your maximum drawlength like and what spine bamboo arrows do you use ? Do you torque the bow when you shoot?

Thumbs up

10 (edited by sissara 2013-06-24 14:20:03)

My bow is #50@32 and my DL is 32" the spine of bamboo is 55-60, my carbon goldtip tradi spined 55-75. And yes, my bow shift/spin to left upon release due to grip torque.

Thumbs up

What about Olivier? How does your arrow fly and do you also torque your bow?

Thumbs up

i bought 85-90 spined bamboo shafts for my 38# smg, as advised by the shaft seller for full length 33

Thumbs up

(continued) inch arrows. they are soo big , they fly like UFOs, they dont travel much and they seem slow. i really dont like them. im shooting outdoors at around 90 metres. i should have just got matching shafts.

who says that shafts must be at such an increased weight just because one is using the the thumb draw technique?? its the first ive heard of it. does anyone know anything about this?
im going to get some matching bamboo shafts for my 50 turkish bow now and see how they fly.

isa

Thumbs up

i3 wrote:

i bought 85-90 spined bamboo shafts for my 38# smg, as advised by the shaft seller for full length 33

I don't understand, earlier you say you were advised to go around 20# heavier (55-60# spine) and then you buy much heavier spined shafts. I bet they are slow, I'm surprised your aim isn't at the sky to send these 90m.

I'd suggest you try some at 45-50# and 50-55# and experiment with different weight points.

Thumbs up

I was advised originally to go approx 20# higher,,, but then when I actually was ordering the shafts the seller advised me that I would require 85-90# shafts.

Thumbs up

16 (edited by jchocz 2013-06-30 11:54:43)

My experience:

45lb bow = shaft spined 55-60lb at 32"draw.
55-60lb bow = shaft 65-75lb at 32"draw.

An important principle:

Arrows shaft should have the same SPINE in one set of arrows. It is best to sort finished arrows in the set (simply test flight characteristics)!

Bamboo shaft are quite tolerant, but it must be sorted. Bambo arrows but never equal carbon arrows (carbon arrows - the same spin, and each arrow perfectly straight ...)!

Thumbs up

So what about arrows that are for example not drawn to 32"? So for instance 29" arrows drawn to 28". What would you do with regards to the spine then? Increase or decrease it?

Thumbs up

i3 wrote:

So what about arrows that are for example not drawn to 32"? So for instance 29" arrows drawn to 28". What would you do with regards to the spine then? Increase or decrease it?

Bow 38lb, draw 28-29":

Shafts SPINE 40 to 45lb MUST COMPLY. It is good to know that bamboo is not a homogeneous material and also has a bow poundage tolerance + - 10%.

Thumbs up

jchocz wrote:
i3 wrote:

Bow 38lb, draw 28-29":

Shafts SPINE 40 to 45lb MUST COMPLY. It is good to know that bamboo is not a homogeneous material and also has a bow poundage tolerance + - 10%.

Given that the arrows are only slightly heavier spined then the draw weight, will they break at the nodes when shooting at distances of 15m or less?

Thumbs up

gpang788 wrote:

Given that the arrows are only slightly heavier spined then the draw weight, will they break at the nodes when shooting at distances of 15m or less?

Bamboo arrows to break the nodes in the case of spine shafts 80lb (or more). Nodes are critical - fragile (hit the target edges, tree branch ...).

Thumbs up

I'm positive about 55-60# arrows breacking at the node when shoot at a distance of 12-15 meters.

This behavior has stopped with 75-80# shafts.

Olivier

Thumbs up

jchocz wrote:
gpang788 wrote:

Bamboo arrows to break the nodes in the case of spine shafts 80lb (or more). Nodes are critical - fragile (hit the target edges, tree branch ...).

So basically the bamboo arrow could break at the nodes regardless of the shaft spine, right?

Thumbs up

jchocz wrote:

I don't understand this  hmm

i3 wrote:

So basically the bamboo arrow could break at the nodes regardless of the shaft spine, right?

The quality of the shaft should be considered.

Thumbs up

Olivier Coulazou wrote:
jchocz wrote:

I don't understand this  hmm

I think what is being said is that even 80# spined shafts can break at the node...emphasingvthat the node is a "fragile" part of the shaft regardless of the spine rating...?

That's what I understood from it anyway...

Thumbs up

i3 wrote:

...I think what is being said is that even 80# spined shafts can break at the node...emphasing that the node is a "fragile" part of the shaft regardless of the spine rating...?

That's what I understood from it anyway...

Yes, that's right. Shafts with high spin are obviously more durable. Nodes are but also so fragile. I made for our archery club and friends around 500 arrows for bows from 40 to 80lb. The arrow almost always broke in the node ... Sure but it depends on the type of bamboo. Shafts with high SPINE also have high weight (my arrows for bows 70 to 80lb weigh 700 to 800 grain). With these you can shoot arrows from bows 40 to 45lb. For such bows seems resistant. When shooting from bow 60 to 70lb but reflected the effect of fragile nodes. Fragility affects supplier of shafts - high temperature processing (straightening) = higher fragility of nodes.

Thumbs up +1