26 (edited by tonygt19 2012-09-22 14:59:11)

Re: Information about various makes of Korean bows

~HUN~ wrote:

Justin, I bet your friend was disappointed but it may all work out for the best if he feels he needs a stronger bow. I'm sure this was just one of those freak accidents.

I very quickly wore through the thin leather arrow pass on my Hwarang (mixture of finding the correct arrows and poor form) it was gone in no time. I glued a piece of polished cow horn in its place.

I'll be able to offer some feedback shortly, regarding Hwarang and Kaya as my friend has just bought a Kaya.

Hun,
I had a similar problem on my 45lb Hwarang probably for the same reasons. I found a 1x3 inch leather piece at 3Rivers Archery for a less than elegant but functional fix. Shown at http://tonygt19.smugmug.com/Archery/Dyn … ;k=Spv7ndp .
Other than that and an easily fixed too thick serving problem the bow has been a joy to shoot.
Cheers,
Tony
PunBB bbcode test

Post's attachments

Single-serving-on-Hwarang-L (1).png 209.83 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

27 (edited by Gabriel 2013-02-12 21:37:28)

The Y M Jang bow is the same YMG from Hwarang or other maker, sorry for asking i know J and G are diferent, but in Korean phonetics could be the same thing.

Anyone could talk more about the bamboo bow and the horn bamboo bow? Are they accepted in traditional competitions or just  horn bows are allowed?
Thanks
Gabriel

Thumbs up

Gabriel wrote:

The Y M Jang bow is the same YMG from Hwarang or other maker, sorry for asking i know J and G are diferent, but in Korean phonetics could be the same thing.

Anyone could talk more about the bamboo bow and the horn bamboo bow? Are they accepted in traditional competitions or just  horn bows are allowed?
Thanks
Gabriel

Gabriel,

In Korean traditional archery competitions, only bows that are approved by the KTAA are allowed.  I'm not sure what the current status is for the bamboo belly bow and the horn hybrid bow.  The KTAA even has to give approval to the individual company; believe it or not, the Big Three (YMG, SMG and Kaya) did not have approval for some time.  It is all political and has nothing to do with a bow's quality or anything.

T

Thumbs up

29 (edited by shinobination 2013-07-11 19:42:54)

ginni wrote:

I have the chance to try the bows made by Yeung Mo Gung and Song Mu Gung, the last owning the factory who make the semihorn and bamboo belied bows.
I would like try to be short:
1. YMG bows feel to not staking at all, the best looking shape at full draw, very fast and extremly resistant at bad treatment.
If you want to put the bow on the  limit, try this type. Little vibration in the hand.
2. SMG bows
   - regular laminated bow is smoother than YMG, but it stacks earlier than YMG. Is very fast, not noticeable diferences between YMG and this bow. Very fine, long life but not very resistant at bad treatment, the first dry shot can destroy this bow.
   - semihorn bow is the best shooting bow you can get, very tolerant, very very fast, very smooth, but severely stack at the draw limit. Not very long life and it required specialy care, like using a hot box. I like this bow the most, I had my best shots with this bow. The best sensation in the hand, after shooting this bow for a while, you will feel every other bow like having hand shock.
   - bamboo belied bow, excelent look, is a beauty, is very smooth, but is slow. Little vibration also, comparable with YMG bow. Anyway, this bow, even is not the best shooter, is the best looking one. I dont know about the life of this bow, I tested them only for few days.
YMG use maple core, also maple in the fadeouts.
SMG made fadeouts from some synthetic material like impregnated fabric, and use bamboo for core.

Is the semihorn bow you are talking about the artificial horn by Song Mu Gung?

Thumbs up