Topic: Choosing a bow

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into archery, having not done it since I was about 15 (I'm now 21).

I've been considering buying a Kaya Khan or a Kaya KTB, and was on the verge of buying one, when I noticed quite a few complaints regarding both bows on this forum. Are these reliable bows, and the cases that I've read about few and far between?
Or is there something of an issue with the bows?

If not, can anyone recommend another bow? I've also been looking at the Grozer bows, and I love the style of them, however they seem to be considerably harder to get hold of!

Thumbs up

Re: Choosing a bow

Katharine,

It is true that the Khan has seemingly had some issues with breakage, although I have heard many good things about it, too.  The KTB, on the other hand, is a time-tested bow with few problems.  The frequent complaint is usually about the paisley cloth covering (which is supposed to be changed).  Especially considering the price, the KTB is a great bow.

Thumbs up

Katherine,
I can, with some bias, recommend a 30 lb at 28 inch draw hwarang bow I will be photographing and putting up for sale soon in the for sale section of this forum. It is a YMG in like new condition. The YMG's are rocks. I've never heard of anyone complaining of failures in this line of bows. Let me know if you are interested. It looks exactly like the 70 lb bow which I offered for sale briefly in the for sale section of this forum but decided I liked shooting it too much. The limbs are just a bit thinner front to back.

Thumbs up

Katherine,
You are not going to get a better bow for the price than the KTB.......unless you find a used YMG Hwarang!!

I've had two, and both of them were great shooting little bows for the investment, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

As was mentioned, the Hwarang is a better bow, but if you are looking to just get your toes wet for now, the KTB is a good choice.

Let us know what you decide.

Joe

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Katharine,

It is true that the Khan has seemingly had some issues with breakage, although I have heard many good things about it, too.  The KTB, on the other hand, is a time-tested bow with few problems.  The frequent complaint is usually about the paisley cloth covering (which is supposed to be changed).  Especially considering the price, the KTB is a great bow.

Ah, I was wondering about that- it seems strange that I've read so many reports about them breaking, which is a shame, as they do appear to otherwise be very nice bows! The KTB is looking like a good choice at the moment though. Just out of curiosity, I've only ever shot with a 3-fingered draw. Would this be an issue, shooting with a KTB? I get the impression that it's design to to be used with as thumbring, unlike the Khan? (And how hard would it be, changing from a 3-fingered draw to shooting with a thumbring?

Also, when you say changing the cloth- I'm assuming that would mainly be down to wear? How would I go about doing that? I've also heard of people dying the cloth as well?

tonygt19 wrote:

Katherine,
I can, with some bias, recommend a 30 lb at 28 inch draw hwarang bow I will be photographing and putting up for sale soon in the for sale section of this forum. It is a YMG in like new condition. The YMG's are rocks. I've never heard of anyone complaining of failures in this line of bows. Let me know if you are interested. It looks exactly like the 70 lb bow which I offered for sale briefly in the for sale section of this forum but decided I liked shooting it too much. The limbs are just a bit thinner front to back.

Ah, I've just seen the 70 lb that you'd posted before, and I have to say, it's a rather beautiful looking bow! How much were you thinking of selling it for? My only concern would be the shipping, as I live in the UK! (And customs- we have some very peculiar customs laws here, regarding weapons and such...)

raven wrote:

Katherine,
You are not going to get a better bow for the price than the KTB.......unless you find a used YMG Hwarang!!

I've had two, and both of them were great shooting little bows for the investment, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

As was mentioned, the Hwarang is a better bow, but if you are looking to just get your toes wet for now, the KTB is a good choice.

Let us know what you decide.

Joe

I have to say, the Hwarang does look rather nice, although whether or not I'd be able to afford one on a student budget is another question entirely!

Also, I've found that a local(ish) shop has a 30lb Grozer Nomad G3 Pecheneg in stock, for not all that much more than the KTB. I've heard good things about Grozer, but I thought that it'd be best to ask

Thumbs up

Katherine,

Buy changing the wrap Bluelake means the company is supposed to be changing it to a more natural look, it doesn't need to be changed by the owner. Shooting three fingers is possible(lots of finger pinch) but because of the length of the bow a thumb draw would be better. It has been a bit of a transition changing to a thumb ring for me but things are slowly coming together. I've been shooting with a thumb ring since Christmas.

Thumbs up

Chadwck wrote:

Katherine,

Buy changing the wrap Bluelake means the company is supposed to be changing it to a more natural look, it doesn't need to be changed by the owner. Shooting three fingers is possible(lots of finger pinch) but because of the length of the bow a thumb draw would be better. It has been a bit of a transition changing to a thumb ring for me but things are slowly coming together. I've been shooting with a thumb ring since Christmas.

Sorry for the confusion--yes, the company has been planning to change the backing to something more natural-looking.  Thanks for following that up, Chadwck.

Thumbs up

Tonygt19's upcoming YMG Hwarang would be a great acquisition.

Thumbs up

9 (edited by tonygt19 2013-09-01 03:30:30)

<Ah, I've just seen the 70 lb that you'd posted before, and I have to say, it's a rather beautiful looking bow! How much were you thinking of selling it for? My only concern would be the shipping, as I live in the UK! (And customs- we have some very peculiar customs laws here, regarding weapons and such...)>

Katharine,
I'll be putting the 30 Lb Hwarang up for sale at $370. It sells new for $470. That includes a soft case, silk bow sock and extra string. If you send me your thumb size (width of middle knuckle in mm) I might have a thumbring I can send. I'll have some photos of it up sometime this weekend in the for sale section. You can see it's look alike Hwarangs in 45lb and 70lb on my photosite by googling my forum name and "traditional archery". This bow will challenge you for years. It is very smooth at 30lbs to 28 in but just as smooth up to mid 40 lbs at 32 in (thumbring draw range). Exceptionally lively response to advanced gripping methods but this takes years of practice. See forum member "Storm"'s posts on this. This bow acts more like a true hornbow than my other heavier hwarangs. I think that's due to the limitations of modern materials in flexibility as bow weights progress past 50-70lbs.

Thumbs up