1 (edited by tonygt19 2013-04-28 00:35:29)

Topic: Comparing Hwarang to Saluki 70Lbs at 28

So finally got my two Salukis and have been comparing the 70 pounder to a 70 lb Hwarang. Using thumbring at 30 inches. The Saluki is easier to pull past 28 inches and yet is noticeably faster  than the Hwarang. Both bows are screamers and to be fair the Saluki did cost about 3X as much and took over a year to arrive. Haven't yet done a full force draw curve but the Saluki is pulling about 82 lbs at 30 while the Hwarang is closer to 85 -86. The Saluki seems to stack its draw weight closer to the beginning of the draw.

Thumbs up +1

Re: Comparing Hwarang to Saluki 70Lbs at 28

Very interesting. What model is the Saluki?

Thumbs up 0

3 (edited by tonygt19 2013-04-28 23:22:00)

Storm,
The 70lb Saluki is a 50 inch Turkish Hybrid. The Saluki hybrids vary in materials but this one uses two laminations of bamboo as a limb core, and black fiberglass backing. Lukas Novotny , the bowyer , wouldn't tell me what the belly material was as he prefers to keep that proprietary but it is not horn. It seems to be a type of fiberglass but not the same as the backing. Novotny was a glassblower before he became the Saluki Company so he may have access to exotic glass based materials or may have developed his own compression resistant flexible glass. He only said it took him a long time to get to this material. He also said he's developed some new material that is even better and is experimenting with it now.  The handle is Osage Orange with white faux inlay. The siyah core is maple. What ever he uses, the bow limbs bend the same  no matter how you try to torque or  press high or low on the handle while drawing. It's amazing how stable this thing is.

Post's attachments

Saluki Turk Hybrid.jpg 1.38 mb, 6 downloads since 2013-04-28 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Wow those are beautiful bows.

Thumbs up

Chadwck wrote:

Wow those are beautiful bows.

Yeah, Saluki's aren't hard on the eye but they are pretty hard on the wallet. What the Korean traditional bows lack in decoration they sure make up for in performance and price. You really can't go wrong with either. If you're interested there are a few more pics of both on my photo site. Just Google my forum name and "traditional archery".
Cheers,
tonygt19

Thumbs up

Where did you get your 70lbs hwarang bow?

Thumbs up

From "Bluelake", AKA Prof. Thomas Duvarney, he started this forum, wrote the book and is the person most responsible for bringing Korean Traditional Archery to the rest of the world particularly the US. You can order the Hwarang from him through http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html

Thumbs up +1

Gee, thanks, Tonygt19!  big_smile

Thumbs up

Thanks appreciate it.

Thumbs up

The Saluki's draw-force curve probably raises steeper initially compared to the YMG.  What's the maximum draw length of the Hybrid Turk?  YMG is around 33".

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

The Saluki's draw-force curve probably raises steeper initially compared to the YMG.  What's the maximum draw length of the Hybrid Turk?  YMG is around 33".

The same, 33" I believe it is pulling about 5-7 lbs less than the Hwarang at that point. If you look closely at the Saluki profie you'll see that the siyah is very long and has two stages of engagement. The first part , nearest the grip, is already engaged as a lever at the brace. That part is hard to pull. When the string lifts away from the second part of the siyah nearest the tip you suddenly have twice as long a lever acting on the very short strong bending part of the limb. The increase in draw weight per length is decreased resulting in an easier finish. So arrow acceleration after the release gets stacked toward the front resulting in a very fast bow.

Thumbs up

looking at getting a traditional bow. For horse archery and hunting.
Which one:
Saluki Hybrid
Grozer composite
Hwarang

Thumbs up

13 (edited by geoarcher 2013-09-23 14:55:09)

Mujahid wrote:

looking at getting a traditional bow. For horse archery and hunting.
Which one:
Saluki Hybrid
Grozer composite
Hwarang

From my experience I would definitely scratch off anything by Grozer.  Even if you get a good bow by Grozer, it will still be inferior to a Hwarang or Saluki. 

That being said, Lukas' bows have a feel to them that screams 'this is what you want for hunting'.  The price for a Saluki is kinda steep though these days.  Korean bows are excellent of course but I don't take mine out hunting.  Not that it couldn't do the job, more like its just not preferred.  A Hwarang though will give you much 'boom for your buck' as the saying goes.

However, I'd also consider Golhan Turk bows and Mariner.  Both of these are very good choices and excellent values!

Thumbs up

Personally I would not bother with the Saluki hybrid bow either, they are more like concept bows. In fact all of his bows are way overpriced IMO.

Thumbs up

15 (edited by geoarcher 2013-09-24 00:44:25)

~HUN~ wrote:

Personally I would not bother with the Saluki hybrid bow either, they are more like concept bows. In fact all of his bows are way overpriced IMO.

This is true.  And there are others out there who do work comparable to what Lukas does (laminated bamboo layers backed with glass) and for a far less wallet destroying price.  Mariner in particular comes to mind.  The Han 1 I have is amazing and remains my go to bow for shooting these days more then any other bow.  Matter of fact I may take it out hunting this week, either that or my Golhan Turk. cool

My Saluki's are getting quite the rest these days.

Thumbs up