1 (edited by misterwonky 2013-10-14 09:13:52)

Topic: I've searched around, but think I need to finally ask this question...

Let me start off by saying I haven't shot a variant of a wood bow in YEARS (I'm thinking like almost 15 years).  It seems a new school of thought has popped up within the archery community that states "unstringing and restringing your bow between shoots will torque the limbs).  I grew up doing this method, and I feel "dirty" if I don't.  This is chatter that I've picked up over on archerytalk, and I'm sure everyone here has seen the crazy tales from over there.

Even so, I'm not familiar with bamboo as a core material, so should I unstring it between shoots if I shoot daily (or maybe once every two days sometimes due to weather)?  I can't comprehend not unstringing it, but what do you guys think?  Not just about the mostly synthetic hwarang and KTB, but other wooden bows too.

Thumbs up

Re: I've searched around, but think I need to finally ask this question...

An all wood bow should be unstrung when not in actual use. You be the judge as to HOW to unstring your bow, but I'd use a bow-stringer. Laminated (with glass) bows can be left strung if being used almost daily, but I'd suggest unstringing if not.

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

An all wood bow should be unstrung when not in actual use. You be the judge as to HOW to unstring your bow, but I'd use a bow-stringer. Laminated (with glass) bows can be left strung if being used almost daily, but I'd suggest unstringing if not.

Thanks!  I haven't ran I to stringing problems myself, and do it very symmetrically.  I am fairly strong, and string it slightly different than most people.  Left leg over the grip (apex during stringing), right shin behind the bottom nock (as close as I can get to the edge), and with my right hand holding the string attached to the bottom limb, I pull the high limb with my left hand (opened hand).  I think this should prevent any torquing because of the distributed contact points, and the open hand should prevent torque.  What do you think?

Also, I see a lot of people (60 viewers so far) looking at this.  Jump in and tell me what you think! :]

Thumbs up

I use the step through with my ktb and a stringer for my recurve. I used the step through with my recurve for years and no problems. I was pretty careful though.

I check this forum a couple of times a day looking for any updates.

Thumbs up +1

5 (edited by sissara 2013-10-21 09:56:14)

I hadn't made reply earlier because I do not understand the meaning of "unstringing and restringing your bow between shoots". (Pardon my English skill  neutral )
Is this means after shooing of every single arrow, un-string and then re-string just before next arrow? I found this practice is very inconvenient in traditional style shooting session (or a set of arrow).
Un-stringing and re-stringing between shooting sessions sounds more practical. And it 's super easy to do so if you use short korean traditional bows.

Thumbs up

misterwonky wrote:
WillScarlet wrote:

Thanks!  I haven't ran I to stringing problems myself, and do it very symmetrically.  I am fairly strong, and string it slightly different than most people.  Left leg over the grip (apex during stringing), right shin behind the bottom nock (as close as I can get to the edge), and with my right hand holding the string attached to the bottom limb, I pull the high limb with my left hand (opened hand).  I think this should prevent any torquing because of the distributed contact points, and the open hand should prevent torque.  What do you think?

Also, I see a lot of people (60 viewers so far) looking at this.  Jump in and tell me what you think! :]

I brace my Turkish bow kneeling on the ground, just put bottom limb on left leg with the right leg
Over bottom limb and align the string with the string bridge With the right hand grab top limb at the same time pressing down the right leg. Just draw the top limb towards the string. Also after bracing the bow just make sure everything is in alignment.

Thumbs up