Topic: Hwarang Tilleringing

Hey guys, so I've put about ~2000 shots through my hwarang, and had a question.  First off, let me say why I checked this: I went to string it, and missed one of the pads and the bow flipped with the string :\.  I couldn't believe I had done that, and it happened because my nieces were over for the holiday and it seems they were playing with the string (on my table), and opened up the loop a bit so it threw me off when I strung it.  Okay, enough excuses.

Anyway, I gave it a second to relax, then strung it up again.  Pulled it back once to make sure everything is aligned (it was), and everything looked perfect.  Well, I decided to lay it flat on a table (while strung) and make sure the symmetry was there, and both sides are slightly towards the arrow side.  Keep in mind, this is the OPPOSITE direction that the bow flipped.  There may be a millimeter or so variance between the two ends.  I didn't check this when it arrived to me, so there may have not been any changes at all (shoots amazingly.... at least it did, I haven't tried it since the ordeal yet).

Did I hurt my bow?  Is it normal for it to be tilled this way?  I was under the impression that they only do that for real horn bows.  Anyway, thanks for looking... I guess I'm a little upset about it sad.

Thumbs up

Re: Hwarang Tilleringing

Bows generally won't do that, but it's not unheard of (usually has to do with the stringing).  The bows I sell are center-strung (not with a Korean tiller, unless someone requests one specifically), so they should not have been off to the arrow side. 

Make sure there are no lamination separations from the unstringing (probably o.k.).  Also, check the string, as string twist can have an effect on tiller.

Thumbs up

I'm an idiot.  I used my counter top as the "surface," and put the handle on there too.  I didn't take into consideration that the rubber grip may be slightly off-center (by a few millimeters at most).  I just checked it while hanging the grip off of the edge, and it's all perfectly symmetrical.  It may even be the leather grip wrapping adding a a little bit with the overlapping wrap method...idk.  So everything looks surprisingly perfect like nothing happened.  These are definitely tough little bows.  Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Future protip: Always check the loops before stringing.  Lesson learned.  roll

Thumbs up

misterwonky wrote:

I'm an idiot.  I used my counter top as the "surface," and put the handle on there too.  I didn't take into consideration that the rubber grip may be slightly off-center (by a few millimeters at most).  I just checked it while hanging the grip off of the edge, and it's all perfectly symmetrical.  It may even be the leather grip wrapping adding a a little bit with the overlapping wrap method...idk.  So everything looks surprisingly perfect like nothing happened.  These are definitely tough little bows.  Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Future protip: Always check the loops before stringing.  Lesson learned.  roll

Hehehe...  Glad it only turned out to be a benign form of "user error".  Don't feel too bad--when my dad built their last house nearly forty years ago, he didn't realize the level he was using had a slight warp to it; to this day, the second-floor deck tilts a bit.

Thumbs up