Topic: Can you buy a korean bow with a 36 inch draw?

I'm 193cm tall with long arms and I currently am working with a 31 inch draw bow,I draw back to my chin but I still have quite a bend in my arm and I fell like I could draw back a lot more.Especially when I watch koreans with their massive over drawing. I know koreans are short and this is probably a big ask but does any one know where I could buy one? I don't even know where you could get arrows for such a bow but it's probably what I really need to get consistent shooting.

Thumbs up

Re: Can you buy a korean bow with a 36 inch draw?

WOW!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like a custom build to me.  I don't know for sure, but I would think that Bluelake could get a custom order in for someone of your...stature, or else know of someone that can offer it.  I'm not sure about the Korean bowyers, but usually things like this require substantially more money as they're totally custom made for you.

Thumbs up

Something like this maybe:
http://www.hornbow.com/park3.jpg

http://www.hornbow.com/yegoong.html

Thumbs up

LOL, Storm--that's my son over a dozen years ago (when he had shorter hair  big_smile ).  The attached pic is the larger bow (called a "yegung") when it was completed--the only reproduction ever made of the original, as far as I know (I believe the bowyer wanted $5,000 for it). 

Actually, Dingo, Koreans tend to be about average height nowadays, in comparison to Western countries; it probably has a lot to do with the change in diets, etc.  I frequently have students taller than me (and I'm about 180cm).

The standard Korean traditional bow can draw back to about 33" and the longer "janggung" can go back a couple inches more.  I believe Kaya has a "jangjanggung", but I've never shot one.

http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/yg%20043.jpg

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Dingo 2013-12-20 06:32:51)

Where can i get a janggung or a jangjanggung? looks like what i need. I also just looked at my bow, it's the 46 inch KAYA ktb but their website says it comes up to 52inch. The australian site I bought it off only has it in the small size and i'd probably like to buy a better quality bow any way, this thing already looks well used after a month.
Here's a pic to show , i might have been safe to draw it back a little more but i seriously feel like I could snap the the thing it i really went for it so i played it safe.
What do you think?

Post's attachments

Bow draw 2.jpg 1.23 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-12-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/yg%20043.jpg

lol, That bow makes you look like a 10 year old with a full mustache.  Those siyahs are huge... besides draw length, is there any major differences?  It doesn't seem like a regular profile, excluding size of course.

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:

Where can i get a janggung or a jangjanggung? looks like what i need. I also just looked at my bow, it's the 46 inch KAYA ktb but their website says it comes up to 52inch. The australian site I bought it off only has it in the small size and i'd probably like to buy a better quality bow any way, this thing already looks well used after a month.
Here's a pic to show , i might have been safe to draw it back a little more but i seriously feel like I could snap the the thing it i really went for it so i played it safe.
What do you think?

I can get it for you, but Australia and a few other countries have an over-size charge for shipping (I'll have to find out what it is).

Yeah, Korean trad bows can be drawn back until the limbs are pretty much parallel with each other.

Thumbs up

misterwonky wrote:

lol, That bow makes you look like a 10 year old with a full mustache.  Those siyahs are huge... besides draw length, is there any major differences?  It doesn't seem like a regular profile, excluding size of course.

I never drew it (It was a monster and the bowyer drew it with a winch), so I can't really say much about that.  Looks-wise, it was a huge horn bow.

Thumbs up

bluelake, just curious, what was the original "yegung" made for, and did the replica ever sell?

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

bluelake, just curious, what was the original "yegung" made for, and did the replica ever sell?

The yegung was a ceremonial bow, used in royal ceremonies.  I doubt they were ever drawn.  As far as I know, the replica was never sold; when the bowyer was paralyzed almost a dozen years ago, I was asked to sell it, along with some other bows he made, but there were no takers.  To be honest, I didn't try hard with the yegung, as I really didn't want to see it leave Korea and hoped that a domestic institute would step up.

Thumbs up

Blue Lake, if you could get in touch with me about this bow that would be great. I tried to PM you but i haven't heard back.

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:

Blue Lake, if you could get in touch with me about this bow that would be great. I tried to PM you but i haven't heard back.

Hi Dingo,

Unfortunately, I didn't receive any PMs...  Which bow are you interested in?  You can contact me privately at goongdo@hotmail.com if you'd like.

Thomas

Thumbs up