Topic: It seems I never introduced myself.

Hello all,

I live on the island of Jeju, and I practice Gungdo at 한라정 (Jeju City). I signed up a while ago, and I read now and again, but I didn't introduce myself.

Archery is something I always wanted to do. So, while I was in Korea I decided that I should take up archery... They seem to know what they are doing. After a year and a half of practice I am a mighty 7th gup. I like to think that I am at least 5th gup material, but I don't do well in events. I'm hoping to stay in Korea for another year and a half. My aim? poor... Okay, it was a bad pun. To reach first dan.

Thumbs up

Re: It seems I never introduced myself.

silentwind, welcome to the forum. I don't know the degrees in Korean archery, but I wish you best of luck. I don't do well in competition either even though I've been shooting for most of my life. Cave under pressure I suppose, but that doesn't bother me as I just love to shoot. Again, welcome aboard!

Thumbs up

Welcome, Silentwind! big_smile

Don't feel too bad about dan level--I personally never really got into ranking myself (and I've been shooting Korean trad for 21 years now).  In a rare ranking competition (back in the 90s), I missed dan rank by *one* arrow (even though I would often shoot at 4th dan level in practice); when I realized that I knew my skill, I decided that ranking wasn't all that important, so I didn't really ever pursue it after that.

Thumbs up

Silent wind, Good luck.  I don’t think I will have a chance to compete in any tournaments, but I would like to hit 5 out of 5 (Jup jang?) once before I leave.  Right now, I believe my only title would be Shin Sa (beginner).  Not sure about translations.

Thumbs up

Buldok wrote:

Silent wind, Good luck.  I don’t think I will have a chance to compete in any tournaments, but I would like to hit 5 out of 5 (Jup jang?) once before I leave.  Right now, I believe my only title would be Shin Sa (beginner).  Not sure about translations.

Hitting a perfect 5/5 is a "molgi" (몰기); once a person does that, they qualify as a "jeobjang" (접장--veteran archer).

Thumbs up