1 (edited by misterwonky 2014-01-07 06:12:28)

Topic: Fletching!

So I don't own an arrow that I didn't fletch, but now I'm wanting to make traditional Korean arrows.  I read over the threads, and have some good ideas on where to start, but there's a couple of questions I still had for anyone that's done their own KTA fletching.

-Where do you guys get your feathers?  My normal source doesn't have pheasant (I'm assuming that's what's used based on the pictures I've found).  I can find sources for it, but if there's a "go to" source, I'd like to use it.

-Are wooden nocks preferred over glued on materials (like bone or horn)?

-Are there any specs that I should know about?  The arrows I've seen seem to be very.... similar; the serving thread is of similar start/finish, the feathers are of similar characteristics....etc.

-Lastly, Korean archery has had, imo, the coolest arrow heads I've ever seen on historical sources.  I would like to make a few prestigious arrows to show off in a holder, and it'd really be great to have them perfect.  Where can I find reproductions?

I think that's it.  Sorry for the wall of questions, but I've spent a lot of time researching the stuff, and those are the only questions I couldn't find answers for, or at least not consistent answers for.

Thumbs up

Re: Fletching!

misterwonky wrote:

So I don't own an arrow that I didn't fletch, but now I'm wanting to make traditional Korean arrows.  I read over the threads, and have some good ideas on where to start, but there's a couple of questions I still had for anyone that's done their own KTA fletching.

-Where do you guys get your feathers?  My normal source doesn't have pheasant (I'm assuming that's what's used based on the pictures I've found).  I can find sources for it, but if there's a "go to" source, I'd like to use it.

-Are there any specs that I should know about?  The arrows I've seen seem to be very.... similar; the serving thread is of similar start/finish, the feathers are of similar characteristics....etc.

-Lastly, Korean archery has had, imo, the coolest arrow heads I've ever seen on historical sources.  I would like to make a few prestigious arrows to show off in a holder, and it'd really be great to have them perfect.  Where can I find reproductions?

I think that's it.  Sorry for the wall of questions, but I've spent a lot of time researching the stuff, and those are the only questions I couldn't find answers for, or at least not consistent answers for.

What you need is the video I produced on the Korean bamboo arrow  big_smile   (You can get it from Three Rivers Archery: http://www.3riversarchery.com/The+Way+o … item.html)

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Dingo 2014-01-07 11:40:21)

OR there's youtube if your cheap like me. No buy the CD I'm sure it's worth it. I will link you this video made by the man him self with a small section where he goes to an korean flecher.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FsjekERdvg   from 4:20 on
BTW thomas the you speaking english and them speaking korean conversations seemed a bit awkward to me. I don't get why they didn't just give you both subtitles.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by misterwonky 2014-01-07 19:28:37)

bluelake wrote:
misterwonky wrote:

What you need is the video I produced on the Korean bamboo arrow  big_smile   (You can get it from Three Rivers Archery: http://www.3riversarchery.com/The+Way+o … item.html)

hmm.... yeah that'd probably be something good to buy.  I'll get this in a week or two!  I guess the only thing that is left is a source of historical reproduction arrowheads.  Thanks!

Thumbs up

Although not exact reproductions of Korean arrow points, Jaap Koppedrayer sells some that are very close.  I bought several from him a couple years ago with intentions of making some quasi-historical bamboo arrows (but haven't quite done so, yet).

Thumbs up

Do any of you shoot vanes instead of feathers?

Thumbs up

Chadwck wrote:

Do any of you shoot vanes instead of feathers?

Yeah sometimes!  You have to have the releasing twist down good or else it will deflect (and tear up the arrow pass pad).  Modern Korean arrows seem to use a lot of synthetic vanes if you buy them premade.  There's a thread on here about it somewhere, so I recommend looking for it.  Good luck!

Thumbs up

I will look again for the thread.

Thanks

Thumbs up