1 (edited by misterwonky 2014-02-21 19:18:23)

Topic: Need help with broadhead mounting!

Hey guys, so I got my new shafts in, and I thought it'd be cool to make my brother a set of fine bamboo arrows with proper feather fletching and some broadheads for a birthday gift!  So while I was ordering my glue-on tips, taper tool, and feathers I decided to add some Zwickey Eskimo broadheads (two blade) into the cart.  They have really great reviews, and I think the minimalistic design looks great, but I'm not sure how I should glue them on.  Is there a certain angle to glue them?  I know arrows with a helical twist don't start spinning properly until about 10 yards out or so, and I would think that gluing them on horizontally would give some lift assistance to the arrows before they start spinning.  However, I've seen a lot of photos of them being vertically mounted!  So does this even matter?

So for anyone that's used broadheads like this, how should I glue them on?  I won't be testing them as they're a gift for him, and I don't want to blemish them at all... so I'll pretty much be taking someone's word on how to glue them on.  Also, if you've used these specific broadheads before, are they okay?  They seemed pretty inexpensive, but I bought them on the basis of the reviews I was reading.  Thanks in advance! smile

Thumbs up

Re: Need help with broadhead mounting!

Zwickies have been around a LONG time. A well-proven broadhead.  Don't know of any "tactical" reasons for mounting them one way or the other, but for two "practical" reasons I've always mounted them horizontally.  A. Not affected by wind for the first few yards.  B. Less likely to slice a finger if you're shooting shorter arrows.
              Actually, reason A. is about the only reason I've always mounted them horizontally, but reason B. COULD come into play.

Thumbs up