Topic: fletching options

I've decided to try fletching some shafts, and had a few questions. I've seen several variations out there, as far as size, shape and number of feathers:
Narrower, longer vs. broader, shorter feathers,
Two vs. three vs. four feathers,
Soft vs. stiff and of course,
Feathers vs. vanes...
I've done a little research and have formed some opinions, but can I get some opinions, comments and experiences from other members?

Thumbs up

2 (edited by WillScarlet 2014-05-15 22:23:57)

Re: fletching options

Vanes won't (normally) shoot well "off the shelf".

Thumbs up

Since this is a KTA forum shouldn't we assume we're talking about thumb draw? You can use vanes just fine

Thumbs up

(Yes, we're talking thumb draw...)

Thumbs up

To clarify, I'm really looking for information, but more so personal experience from members here with different fletching types, and how they behave... IE: what does an arrow with two opposing feathers do differently than one with four long, narrow ones, and which type of fletch is more suited to what kind of arrow... Things like that.

Thumbs up

You're overthinking it, it honestly doesn't matter. It's really just simply the more and bigger the feathers the more stable but also slower your arrows

I started off with conventional parabolic vanes, cock pointing out, arrows flew fine

Then I got bamboo arrows with feathers I fletched myself. I tried three fletch cock out, two big fletches and now I'm shooting three fletch cock up/down. They all shot fine so I don't know what to tell you is best tongue

I went with three fletch because I think they look nicer than two (and it was difficult trying to cut full pheasant feathers into useable fletches) and cock up/down so I wouldn't have to worry about what direction I nock the arrow (faster nocking for horse archery). Again I saw no difference whether I nock the arrow with cock feather up or down.

Thumbs up

By cock up/down do you mean the cock is in line with the string? Only asking because I just bought my boy a set of CE traditional arrows with the cock feather in the bottom, but the outside feather was still perpendicular to the string, which just got confusing for my son. With the cock feather parallel to the string, it would not really matter.

Thumbs up

8 (edited by WillScarlet 2014-05-16 21:57:10)

Mule has it right, it doesn't really matter.  Use a 75 x 105  four fletch and your feathers will be setting the same (in relation to the bow) no matter which way you nock the arrow.
Right now I'm using 3" four fletch and they fly fine.

Thumbs up

I think it does matter since it's all about what you shoot best with.

For me, around one little finger breadth in height and 3-6 pointer finger breadths in length is what I use for fletching.

3 fletch is good. 4 is better. But try to keep the 4 no more than 4 inches long and low since they have more drag. I made some bamboo arrows Mughal style with the cock up configuration and the 2 of the batch that survived my shooting trials (which shoot better than carbon) shoot like a dream and I feel as though the cock up feather and the 'X' 4 fletch configurations are best since they typically don't have a feather that goes against your hand. But with a good release you barely ever feel the feather. Also, my feathers are almost on top of the nock. I know Korean arrows have the fletching around an inch or so after the nock but personally I think the closer to the nock the better. It stabilizes the arrow much more quickly.

Stick with primary wing feathers since they last longer, and the other side of the quill (the leeward feather I believe) has a weaker feather but it sometimes can be used to make Japanese style arrows since they are easy to strip off the quill and are naturally low  smile .

I experimented a lot recently with making arrows and I have found that next to the straightness of the arrow, the feathers are the most important aspect to consider. Because with thumbring archery you can get away with shooting a variety of spines.

Thumbs up

10 (edited by 1187shooter 2014-05-18 05:04:11)

I don't suppose you could post a picture of your arrows?

Thumbs up

lcooper's arrows http://atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t … mp;start=0

My arrows http://i.imgur.com/CYn6I8w.png

Thumbs up

Thank you! Very helpful... That's exactly what I needed to see.

Thumbs up

13 (edited by lcooper 2014-05-19 02:22:40)

Mule, did you do cherry bark next to your nock with black sinew next to the feathers? What kind of nock is that? I also (on that ATARN thread) am posting some updated pics of my arrows smile

Thumbs up

Birch bark, not cherry because I had no luck finding any. At least it matches my bow tongue

I think the nock is the same that you've used. I've sanded the inside flush to make it fit on fat Korean bow strings.

Thumbs up