Topic: Hwarang compared to Kaya

I currently shoot a Kaya windfighter #55 and was thinking about upgrading to a Hwarang.  I'm curious how they compare to each other?  Will the Hwarang out last the Kaya with regular use?  Also do the Hwarangs need special care and are there different styles of Hwarang?  They seem to be the most popular and talked about.  Trying to buy a bow from a Korean web site is difficult if you can't read Korean.  If anyone knows of other web sites adapted for Americans wanting to buy a nice Korean bow would be very helpful as well.  Thank you.

Thumbs up

Re: Hwarang compared to Kaya

Well, of course, I'm a bit biased, as the Hwarang is what I sell (and named many years ago), but it is the best Korean traditional laminated bow out there.  Kaya bows are great--plus, the people there are close friends of mine, and I help them out from time to time--but the Hwarang is better in all aspects (looks, feel, performance, etc.).  With that said, the Kaya has a big cost advantage, which is not a small matter to many people. 

The Hwarang will last for years with regular, non-abusive use.  No special care is required.

Hope that helps.

Thumbs up

Thank you bluelake.  Very helpful.  What is the shipping time on a Hwarang?  Also, from the ordering page it seems there is one style of Hwarang.  Is that correct?  Is the bow custom made for your personal dimensions or are they already constructed?  Just curious.   I would love to order one.  So,  would a bow at #50 @ 28" be roughly #55@31"/32"?
Thank you so much.  I love this forum.

Thumbs up

morton509 wrote:

Thank you bluelake.  Very helpful.  What is the shipping time on a Hwarang?  Also, from the ordering page it seems there is one style of Hwarang.  Is that correct?  Is the bow custom made for your personal dimensions or are they already constructed?  Just curious.   I would love to order one.  So,  would a bow at #50 @ 28" be roughly #55@31"/32"?
Thank you so much.  I love this forum.

Typically, from time of ordering, it is 4-8 weeks.  There is, basically, one style, but two lengths--the standard and the janggung, or extra-long bow (about an inch or so longer).  The birch bark backing, as it is natural, will vary in tone and design from bow to bow.  The bows are made once an order is placed.  A 50# @28" bow would be, @31/32", probably in the 60# range.

T

Thumbs up