1 (edited by jbl 2011-10-07 15:33:21)

Topic: Admiral Yi

I just found a copy of his "War Diary"  and have been reading everything I can on the net and from different books.  In many of the articles and some of the books they claim he was a champion archer.  Is this just because of the military exam where all officer would be "champion" caliber or becuse he actually won archery "competitions?"

There are a couple things I really find interesting about him the first is the fact he took up military service "late" in life and the second his use of steppe warfare tactics at sea i.e. the feign retreat.   He also died in battle at Noryang his last words reportedly were, "We are at the height of battle do not let anyone know of my death."  He said this because he did not want his sailors demoralized knowing their commander had died.   

He was an amazing Admiral to me it is amazing that we in the West do not know more about him.  In the Battle of Myongnyang his fleet of 13 ships defeated 330 Japanes ships.  That was not a typo that was 13 vs 330.  Just amazing.  He was not Korea's Admiral Nelson but Admiral Nelson was England's Admiral Yi.  When Japenese Admiral Togo defeated the Russian fleet at Tsushima in 1905 and was heaped with the praise: "your great victory is so remarkable that it desreves an everlasting place in history.  You can be regarded the equal of Admiral Nelson, who defeated Napoleon in the Battle of Trafalgar; you are indeed a god of war."  Admiral Togo replied "I appreciate your compliment.  But,...if there ever were an Admiral worthy of the name "god of war", that one is Yi Sun-sin.  Next to him, I am little more than a petty officer."

I know this is an archery forum but for me much of the enjoyment I get out of my obssession with the Asian recurves is the history that these bows have influenced.  During the Imjin War (1592-1598)the bow was a primary weapon of  many of the Korean defenders. 

Jamie

Thumbs up

Re: Admiral Yi

jbl wrote:

I just found a copy of his "War Diary"  and have been reading everything I can on the net and from different books.  In many of the articles and some of the books they claim he was a champion archer.  Is this just because of the military exam where all officer would be "champion" caliber or becuse he actually won archery "competitions?"

There are a couple things I really find interesting about him the first is the fact he took up military service "late" in life and the second his use of steppe warfare tactics at sea i.e. the feign retreat.   He also died in battle at Noryang his last words reportedly were, "We are at the height of battle do not let anyone know of my death."  He said this because he did not want his sailors demoralized knowing their commander had died.   

He was an amazing Admiral to me it is amazing that we in the West do not know more about him.  In the Battle of Myongnyang his fleet of 13 ships defeated 330 Japanes ships.  That was not a typo that was 13 vs 330.  Just amazing.  He was not Korea's Admiral Nelson but Admiral Nelson was England's Admiral Yi.  When Japenese Admiral Togo defeated the Russian fleet at Tsushima in 1905 and was heaped with the praise: "your great victory is so remarkable that it desreves an everlasting place in history.  You can be regarded the equal of Admiral Nelson, who defeated Napoleon in the Battle of Trafalgar; you are indeed a god of war."  Admiral Togo replied "I appreciate your compliment.  But,...if there ever were an Admiral worthy of the name "god of war", that one is Yi Sun-sin.  Next to him, I am little more than a petty officer."

I know this is an archery forum but for me much of the enjoyment I get out of my obssession with the Asian recurves is the history that these bows have influenced.  During the Imjin War (1592-1598)the bow was a primary weapon of  many of the Korean defenders. 

Jamie

Yeah, I've long been a fan of the admiral.  Exactly what archery competitions he may have won, I'm not sure, but down at "his club" (at Hansan, near Busan) archers can get in for free if they bring their bows and arrows.  You shoot from the shooting line--over water--to the target.  I have never had the chance to shoot there (yet), but a good friend of mine told me about it.

One thing that always impressed me about the admiral was his humble tenacity.  Because of palace intrigues, he was time and time again broken in rank to a common soldier and, each time, he rose back up.  The king of Korea at that time, Seonjo, started out as a benevolent ruler, but eventually became a bit of a despot.  His self-involvement and inattention to the affairs of state helped lead to the easy conquering of the Korean peninsula.  Despite that, and despite his getting kicked time and again, Admiral Yi stayed loyal.

Here is some info I teach about him in my Korean history class and the fight against the Japanese in the late 16th century:

Inefficiency of the Korean bureaucratic system formed another reason that prevented quick mobilization of the Korean Army. Admiral Yi Sun-sin learned about the war the third day after it began. It took him another fifteen days to get the king’s mandate allowing the commencement of military action against the Japanese. Nevertheless, during the early months of the war, Admiral Yi managed to achieve plausible success at sea in sharp contrast with the devastating defeat of Korea’s army on shore. Why was the Korean fleet so successful?

• The strong personality of Admiral Yi Sun-sin inspired his subordinates and sailors to resist the invasion

• The southern provinces of Korea, which had been suffering for centuries from Japanese pirates, were better prepared for naval confrontation than to deal with the foe’s infantry.

• Admiral Yi  also enjoyed the support of the local population that supplied his fleet with food, weaponry, and intelligence

• Admiral Yi not only protected the shores and population from the enemy but also mobilized the production and delivery of supplies for his fleet and stimulated the local economy

He was born in Seoul in 1545, the son of a government official who was falsely accused of a crime and was imprisoned.  The family moved to Asan some time after that.  In 1567, his father’s name was cleared by King Seonjo.

In 1576, Yi Sun-sin passed the mugwa (military exam) and was posted to Korea’s northern border for the following ten years.  In 1583, he defeated a Jurchen chief in battle and captured him; he led many battles against the Jurchens. 

His successes caused his superiors a great deal of jealousy, so they accused him of desertion, and he was arrested and put in prison.  When he was released, he was made a common soldier and he worked his way back up the ranks.  Eventually, he was appointed a county magistrate.

In 1591, he was assigned command of the naval forces of Jeolla (a southwestern province), where he built up a sizeable navy. 

In 1597, more court rivalries again sent Admiral Yi to prison.  The king wanted him put to death, but Yi’s supporters convinced him to spare the admiral’s life.  Yi was released and demoted to common infantry soldier.  He took his lower position with humility.

While Yi was imprisoned, his successor, Won Kyun, battled the Japanese fleet using 133 ships; in the end, only thirteen Korean ships were left.  Won Kyun ran away, but was captured by the Japanese and beheaded.

Yi was restored to his former high rank.  He took the twelve ships remaining (one ship abandoned the fleet) and destroyed the Japanese fleet, which was ten times as large. 

Admiral Yi was struck by a stray bullet on November 19, 1598 and died.  Before he died, he gave one last order that the news of his death not be given to the crew until after the battle.

About his battles:

Admiral Yi selected eight of his best naval officers to be commandants at several ports.  He also brought in four government magistrates to act as commanders of the Left Wing, Front Forward, Central Forward, and Right Forward.

Japanese troop and supply ships were sighted by Admiral Yi near Okpo, off Geoje Island.  His commanders vowed to fight to the death, if necessary.

Admiral Yi’s ships sailed down into the midst of the Japanese anchorage, firing their cannons and arrows.  The Korean forces maneuvered their ships, so that the Japanese could not board.  Admiral Yi’s sailors shot fire arrows at the Japanese ships, setting them ablaze. 

In the end, twenty-six Japanese ships were sunk, without the loss of a single Korean ship.  One minor arm wound was the only damage the Korean side suffered.  For most of the Korean combatants, it was the first battle they were in.

Later, the Koreans attacked a smaller Japanese squadron, sinking every ship.  The next morning, they ran across a massive Japanese fleet.  Even though they were greatly outnumbered, the Koreans took them on; in the end, the entire Japanese fleet was either captured, ablaze, or on the bottom of the sea.

The funny thing being, the admiral used the same tactic a few times and the Japanese fell for it each time.

Thumbs up

Thanks Thomas. 

A great overview of this amazing man's life.  Again what strikes me is that unlike Nelson he was not trained for a life at sea and unlike Nelson he designed his own ships and invented many tactics used by future Admirals into the 20th century.  In many ways it is surprising that the Admiral is almost unknown in the Western world.

Thumbs up

Thanks Thomas!

Thumbs up

jbl wrote:

Thanks Thomas. 

A great overview of this amazing man's life.  Again what strikes me is that unlike Nelson he was not trained for a life at sea and unlike Nelson he designed his own ships and invented many tactics used by future Admirals into the 20th century.  In many ways it is surprising that the Admiral is almost unknown in the Western world.

Actually, the geobukseon (turtle ships) were designed in the early 15th century, during the time of King Taejong.  Most Korean ships were of the more common panokseon style (They kind of looked like a turtle ship without its top).  Still, even they were much more maneuverable than the slow, hulking Japanese ships that were little more than a ferry service for infantry troops.

Thumbs up

Where can we buy a great book that outlines his history and other archery in Korean history? This is great info, I am also drawn to Korean secret because of my interest in Korean history.

Thumbs up

There are books available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? … yi+sun-sin

Also, look for articles written by my friend, Eric Niderost (especially in Military History magazine).

Thumbs up

8 (edited by jbl 2011-10-12 00:38:02)

A good introduction to the Imjin War is the Osprey book by Steve Trumball "Samurai Invasion of Korea 1592-1598."  Like all Osprey publications it has good illustrations and packs a lot of stuff into a 100 or so page book.  I have on order a couple of more books on Admiral Yi/the Imjin War and should have them soon.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I will be picking those up shortly

Thumbs up

I finally got his Diary yesterday I am finishing another book about Genghis Khan but have scanned through the Diary and have already found many entries were he is taking about shooting arrows.  I have to finish the other book first-my Mum's rules:-)

Thumbs up

http://leesunshin.edublogs.org/ here you can find very detailed and interesting information.

Thumbs up

I have been reading the Admiral's Diary and he was even more outstanding than what I thought.  His humility and ability to not only deal with military problems but also to deal with the refuges created by the war make him one of the greatest commanders ever.

As far as archery goes there are a couple of very interesting points the first is before the Imjin War he was known for his ability with the bow throughout Korea and secondly even during the height of the war he would arrange archery tournaments between his officers and himself.

Thumbs up

JBL,

I would recommend the Korean drama series, "Immortal Lee Soon Shin".  You used to be able to find it online, but most of the links seem to have been removed.  You might try the DVD set(http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Korean-English-subtitle-version/dp/B002NNY8AK).  Although a dramatization (what on TV or the movies isn't?), it gives a real feeling for the admiral.

Thumbs up

Thomas,
Thanks
Jamie

Thumbs up

15 (edited by jbl 2012-03-16 02:22:54)

I have just read some more on the Admiral.  What I forgot to mention in my other posts is how much jealousy and out and out cruelty he survived.  He was the most competent military leader the Koreans had yet he was punished when he was ordered to take his fleet to sea when he knew it was a trap.  He was disgraced and made a "common" soldier only to rise again after Won Kyun had the fleet destroyed.  Won Kyun was one of the jealous rivals who ensured the Admiral's removal from command.

Thumbs up

jbl wrote:

I have just read some more on the Admiral.  What I forgot to mention in my other posts is how much jealousy and out and out cruelty he survived.  He was the most competent military leader the Koreans had yet he was punished when he was ordered to take his fleet to sea when he knew it was a trap.  He was disgraced and made a "common" soldier only to rise again after Won Kyun had the fleet destroyed.  Won Kyun was one of the jealous rivals who ensured the Admiral's removal from command.

Yup.  He embodied the ideal of quiet strength.  He was imprisoned and busted more than once, and still rose to the top each time.  While he was in charge, he didn't lose a single ship, but while he was away, the inept command by Won Kyun caused a loss of 90%.  Still, the Admiral took what he had left and wreaked havoc on a Japanese force ten times his size.  Granted, the Japanese ships were little more than glorified ferry boats, but it was still tactically and strategically marvelous.

Thumbs up +1

I know this is a VERY old topic but just found this on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJ1aqcXVvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7svUjIXbVk

Very interesting, stuff.

Thumbs up

Most people don't know that the "geobukseon" was actually invented in the early 15th century, nearly two centuries before Admiral Yi used them.

Thumbs up