Topic: Another newbie needing help choosing a bow, and other questions.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum but i've been lurking for quite some time. I'm really wanting to learn how to do Korean archery and after doing lots of googling I've decided on either a KTB, SMG, or a YMG. I'm a bit biased towards the SMG because of the cost effectiveness and reviews I've seen for it, specially the laminate horn bow.

First question, What is the difference between the carbon SMG bow and the laminate horn bow? I understand what materials or different, but what about performance and "feel"? Is the laminate worth the extra money? Also, I've heard that a hot box for the laminate is not required contrary to the website.

Next one, I do not know how to measure my draw length using a thumb ring. Is there a certain technique or procedure?

Thumb rings! I'm leaning towards learning with the Manchu ring, However after reading about techniques and having a hard time understanding the "twist" release, I'm wondering if it is possible to do this twisting motion with a manchu ring.

Last question, I've read posts after posts again and again trying to learn this "twisting release" I'm a very visual person and was wondering if there are some diagrams or a video you would recommend to me. I understand this ability to use the "air as the nock" takes years to learn, but where do I start?

Thank you for your time! It's very much appreciated, I realize I've asked a lot of questions.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by geoarcher 2015-03-06 15:55:34)

Re: Another newbie needing help choosing a bow, and other questions.

Hi Angelus,

I'll try and help you with your first and second questions:

1) I'd essentially, for your first Korean bow, go with the SMG carbon.  Its incredibley fast and powerful and does relatively little damage to the wallet.  No loss at all perfomance wise.  Its pretty top notch.  Also, if you are just starting to learn the thumb draw I'd go with as light a draw weight as possible.  Say 30-40 pounds.  Then if you'd like go up another 5 or even 10 pounds or so for your next bow.  Trust me, your thumb will thank you during these early formative days of learning.

2) Regarding draw length, well this can potentially be related to draw weight.  I was teaching a 'noob' not too long ago who had a 40-45 pound KTB.  He could only pull off a 28 inch draw at best with arrows that were 31 inches.  So strength/muscle development can be a factor here, especially if you are in the 'noob' category.  Also to note, ideally with Korean archery you'll pull back to the end of the blunted point on your arrow.  Most Korean arrows' length range are from 30 to maybe say about 33 inches.  You may want to go with the shortest length during these learning days rather than the longer.  If you feel it was too easy at the lowest draw length offered or gets too easy, then next time go up to the next length.  People though with longer arms are naturally going to feel more comfortable drawing longer arrows.  I prefer these days 32 or even 33 inches as I myself am long armed.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Hi Angelus,

I'll try and help you with your first and second questions:

1) I'd essentially, for your first Korean bow, go with the SMG carbon.  Its incredibley fast and powerful and does relatively little damage to the wallet.  No loss at all perfomance wise.  Its pretty top notch.  Also, if you are just starting to learn the thumb draw I'd go with as light a draw weight as possible.  Say 30-40 pounds.  Then if you'd like go up another 5 or even 10 pounds or so for your next bow.  Trust me, your thumb will thank you during these early formative days of learning.

2) Regarding draw length, well this can potentially be related to draw weight.  I was teaching a 'noob' not too long ago who had a 40-45 pound KTB.  He could only pull off a 28 inch draw at best with arrows that were 31 inches.  So strength/muscle development can be a factor here, especially if you are in the 'noob' category.  Also to note, ideally with Korean archery you'll pull back to the end of the blunted point on your arrow.  Most Korean arrows' length range are from 30 to maybe say about 33 inches.  You may want to go with the shortest length during these learning days rather than the longer.  If you feel it was too easy at the lowest draw length offered or gets too easy, then next time go up to the next length.  People though with longer arms are naturally going to feel more comfortable drawing longer arrows.  I prefer these days 32 or even 33 inches as I myself am long armed.

I assume the horn bow was better, looks like ill be getting the carbon for my first bow as i'm still learning. So are bows made for specific draw lengths or is it one size fits all? I just need to know how to order it.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by geoarcher 2015-03-07 01:28:56)

Angelus wrote:

I assume the horn bow was better, looks like ill be getting the carbon for my first bow as i'm still learning. So are bows made for specific draw lengths or is it one size fits all? I just need to know how to order it.

Its usually the opposite way: the more modern materials out perform the traditional.  Although some may say the horn backed is better.  Either way, for the price and performance, you may as well just go with the carbon for your first bow.

I have long limbs and had one of the standard size YMGs which is 49 inches.  I wasn't very comfortable with it and so I sold it for a janggung (the longer version) which is an inch or so longer and to me, made a considerable difference.  I can lock in the draw in a far more comfortable way which is pretty essential.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

I have long limbs and had one of the standard size YMGs which is 49 inches.  I wasn't very comfortable with it and so I sold it for a janggung (the longer version) which is an inch or so longer and to me, made a considerable difference.  I can lock in the draw in a far more comfortable way which is pretty essential.

My height is about 5'4", If i order a SMG carbon, what size would you recommend?

Thumbs up

6 (edited by geoarcher 2015-03-07 02:52:57)

You'd probably be fine then with a 'standard size' - like a 49 inch.

Thumbs up

Last September I tried to order SMG horn laminated in 50# but nothing in the range was available so I bought a 50# carbon instead. It's my third bow after 30# Kaya KTB, 40# SMG artificial horn, this 50#carbon is very fast and impressive. I heard from a few people who own or tried SMG horn laminated that it is more superior than carbon bow and if it is available in the draw weight that I want, I should get it. May be some day smile

Thumbs up

Nice to see you join us here Angelus  tongue

I've seen arguments on both sides of semihorn vs carbon.

By my way of thinking, both bows are backed by carbon so whatever's on the belly can't affect the bow too much and horn is heavier than carbon so I would think carbon shoots a little faster..

But in any case the semihorn is plenty fast, I initially shot 8gpp arrows but the shots were so fast that they were difficult to follow with the eyes so I switched to 11gpp arrows and it's still one of the fastest bows at my club.

The only significant difference is the price and appearance. You have to ask yourself if the slightly more authentic look is worth ~$80 to you

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Nice to see you join us here Angelus  tongue

The only significant difference is the price and appearance. You have to ask yourself if the slightly more authentic look is worth ~$80 to you

I've been asking myself the same thing, the way i think about it is this will be my first entry bow at a low weight, so I'm not going to invest too much into it. I'm thinking 40# perhaps

Thumbs up

Keep in mind SMG measures draw weight at 31.6" (when I asked about my bow anyway) so if your draw length is lower or higher your draw weight will differ too

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Keep in mind SMG measures draw weight at 31.6" (when I asked about my bow anyway) so if your draw length is lower or higher your draw weight will differ too

Im new to traditional archery and draw lengths, is each bow custom made for a draw length? Or are all the bows the same and it depends how far you just pull them back?

Thumbs up

SMG sells five different sizes

Jang-gung for >31.8"
Jung-gung for 31.6~31.8"
Dan-gung for 31"
Dan-dan-gung for 29.8"
Dong-gae-gung (horsebow) for <29.2"

Drawing less than these recommended draw lengths isn't a problem but drawing farther causes stacking and uncomfortable shooting

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Jang-gung for >31.8"
Jung-gung for 31.6~31.8"
Dan-gung for 31"
Dan-dan-gung for 29.8"

Drawing less than these recommended draw lengths isn't a problem but drawing farther causes stacking and uncomfortable shooting

That's some really useful information, thank you. How do i find out my draw length?

Thumbs up

Angelus wrote:
Mule wrote:

Jang-gung for >31.8"
Jung-gung for 31.6~31.8"
Dan-gung for 31"
Dan-dan-gung for 29.8"

That's some really useful information, thank you. How do i find out my draw length?

Here's what I tell people:

Take a tape measure and hold the 0" end with your "bow hand" fully extended.  Take your "draw hand" and pull the tape measure as far back as you can toward your shoulder.  Where you end up will be approximately at your draw length.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Angelus wrote:
Mule wrote:

Jang-gung for >31.8"
Jung-gung for 31.6~31.8"
Dan-gung for 31"
Dan-dan-gung for 29.8"

Take a tape measure and hold the 0" end with your "bow hand" fully extended.  Take your "draw hand" and pull the tape measure as far back as you can toward your shoulder.  Where you end up will be approximately at your draw length.

I ended up with around 33", that's a bit odd, my draw length is 27" using a Mediterranean release. Does it really go up this much?

Thumbs up

Angelus wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Angelus wrote:

I ended up with around 33", that's a bit odd, my draw length is 27" using a Mediterranean release. Does it really go up this much?

Usually around 31-32" for most people.  It's often about 3-4" more than one's finger draw.

Thumbs up

Don't worry too much, how far you draw is really down to personal preference, some people only draw to their face, others to their ear or to their shoulder

I draw to 32 inches but with a tape measure I get 35 inches

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Don't worry too much, how far you draw is really down to personal preference, some people only draw to their face, others to their ear or to their shoulder

I draw to 32 inches but with a tape measure I get 35 inches

Im just worried about which size bow to get.

Thumbs up