Topic: Bow recommendations? YMG vs SMG vs Hwarang, etc

Hi, I am learning Korean archery and am slowly working my way up to the weight I would like to get(around 55-60lbs). I am doing my best to research what bow to get but its surprisingly difficult to find info on Korean bows online. Prices seem all over the place and I was thinking that when the time comes I am going to buy from a guy on eBay, talked with him briefly, he used to sell SMG bows but is now selling YMG bows due to apparent quality problems with SMG bows. Anyone think they could chime in with Any info about SMG vs YMG or other bows I should look into? While performance is my primary concern in my next bow, aesthetics are also a part of it, I quite like bows with the natural bark on the limbs, I have seen and shot a couple with the artificial birch and I am personally not a fan of how this looks, makes them feel cheap.
Bow I was thinking about. http://m.ebay.com/itm/271805777517

Thumbs up +1

2 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-21 14:11:37)

Re: Bow recommendations? YMG vs SMG vs Hwarang, etc

interesting. what korean bows do you have? i have a 41lbs(@30") 50" song mu gung (it's like 55#@32" according to my scale) and a Nomad 53" around the same weight.. getting a 25#@30" Segye for form practice and short range, around 33# at full draw at most hopefully

That one seems like a great deal though. And it doesn't have the crooked tips/limbs to the right side? (for a RH bow, like my SMG)

Though I'm not sure of how that helps or hurts, I can't notice much of a difference on the shot with a bow with straight limbs.
I wonder if that ymg bow is different from the one bluelake sells. (which actually is also YMG)
The other bows I'd consider are the Segye from alibowshop.com ($200) and the Nomad from koreanbow.com ($220). I could give my thoughts on the Segye around December, I hope. But they're all much uglier than that YMG tongue
Armin Hirmer actually liked the Segye more than the Nomad...

Your right Pedro, this does look similar to the hwarang.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-21 16:03:50)

I really don't like that rubbery grip that bites into the hand... but it can be easily replaced

the bows in the ymg site do look kind of different, with straighter tips. and the hwarangs don't seem to have those markings. weird. maybe different versions throughout the years

Pedro C wrote:

interesting. what korean bows do you have? i have a 41lbs(@30") 50" song mu gung (it's like 55#@32" according to my scale) and a Nomad 53" around the same weight.. getting a 25#@30" Segye for form practice and short range, around 33# at full draw at most hopefully

That one seems like a great deal though. And it doesn't have the crooked tips/limbs to the right side? (for a RH bow, like my SMG)

Though I'm not sure of how that helps or hurts, I can't notice much of a difference on the shot with a bow with straight limbs.
I wonder if that ymg bow is different from the one bluelake sells. (which actually is also YMG)
The other bows I'd consider are the Segye from alibowshop.com ($200) and the Nomad from koreanbow.com ($220). I could give my thoughts on the Segye around December, I hope. But they're all much uglier than that YMG tongue
Armin Hirmer actually liked the Segye more than the Nomad...

I don't have a Korean bow of my own, I am using the bows of man whom is teaching me. So this one will be my first. I didn't know the SMG bows had the crooked tips like you mention, interesting, I will have to email the seller and ask about that. You mentioned YMGs site, any chance of a link? I  have tried to find SMGs site also with no luck. I will look up the other bows you mentioned, I have looked at the nomads, extremely tempting for the price.

I don't mind the weird grips, hurt like hell the first time I shot one but I am getting used to it. Mine I personally plan on putting a leather wrap over it though to make it more comfortable.

Where can I get more info on Hwarang bows? I found this site but that's pretty much it. http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html

Thumbs up

6 (edited by Mule 2016-11-22 11:56:21)

YMG http://goongdo.com/

SMG http://smgung.co.kr/

Hwarangs are just YMG sold under a new name (and higher price)

The ebay bow you linked is YMG (chinese characters on the limb say so), just $290 instead of the $450 Hwarang price

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

The ebay bow you linked is YMG (chinese characters on the limb say so), just $290 instead of the $450 Hwarang price

Thanks! Shame YMGs site has no English option. And definitely happy to hear that the YMGs are the Hwarang bows, makes me even more confident in this as an option since I have heard both but good things about them.

And PedroC I asked the seller and these bows like the SMGs also have the crooked tips and are made in right and left handed versions.

Thumbs up

Haha, I guess I'm gonna be jealous of your bow. I got my fake bark SMG bow from Master Kim, the same day you first visited. But I won't be able to come very easily until next year..
The crooked tips don't seem to hurt, just make it so the bow can take being torqued better I assume...

9 (edited by wayfarer 2016-11-24 05:54:36)

If that is legit the YMG then damn I wish I saw that deal before I got my Kaya KTB last year. Shame that one only goes to 60lbs. But, its all good I do love my KTB if it ever fails I will get one of these.

Thumbs up

10 (edited by Tom 2016-11-24 20:17:16)

I am very interested in that "KOREA GUKGUNGWON" listed on the first post (http://m.ebay.com/itm/271805777517).
I think I going to give it a try. I have actually a Kaya KTB (25 lbs - my "initiation" one) but would like to upgrade it.
For the asked price (290.00USD), it seems to be a quite correct bow...

Thumbs up

11 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-24 23:18:23)

Yes, it seems like a really really great deal. I kinda wish I had gotten it instead of my 25# Segye, and also instead of my 40-45# Song Mu Gung I guess... (not sure if I like SMG or YMG better)

The seller's luke1731 and I know he handles a good amount of sales stuff with ymg. This particular item used to have a pic with a bow with song mu gung printed on the belly but he removed that pic recently for whatever reason.

I'm local'ish to Pedro and Locomotive and am also taking instructions from Master Kim. Might end up ordering this bow instead just because the price is great and it's different from all the smg's we have down here.

Thumbs up

13 (edited by Tom 2016-11-25 14:58:22)

Pedro and Dave, you are right, guys.
I would like to use my new bow for hunting too.
The KTB for practising thumb ring and to have fun without pain. And a much more poweful bow for deer/elk with mediterranean style.

Do you think a 55-60 lbs would be appropriate?

Thumbs up

14 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-25 15:40:03)

The way I see it, 55-60lb is good if you have the form, technique down & decent accuracy. And if you can shoot comfortably with 35lbs at full draw. I am not at that point yet. We have to be patient with this To go hunting soon, I'd get a compound or a gun. But probably others would disagree. Maybe it'd be easier to be good enough with western form, even with a traditional bow...
And you'd have to work out & do pulling exercises so that you can pull it comfortably. It seems like it's harder to pull heavier bows when hunting than when target shooting, so you may end up underdrawing..

Thank you very much for your input, Pedro. Very appreciated. Time to make the right decision now and ... some work out excercices!!!   smile
PS : have some good rifles to do the job but bow hunting is much more challenging according to me.

Thumbs up

Good luck

Wont be getting that YMG bow, because I now own an SMG. Just got home from shooting at Master Kim's(exciting shooting, rain came in and we shot in a proper storm haha)  today he had me shooting a 61.5# SMG. And with it I scored my very first hit, as well as a second, third and an unintended fourth on a target I wasn't aiming at, haha. He offered me the bow with a belt and zipper case for $300 and 11 arrows for $7 a piece, quick math in my head and it was significantly cheaper then the YMG, which while a lot prettier, would have left me waiting quite some time and since this is the same model bow he shoots I figured it would be good since he obviously trusts them and any potential issues that could crop up he could help me with. Plus I liked the idea of owning the bow I had my first hit with.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

It may not seem like it, but you get what you pay for.  The bows for sale on eBay are ones that were made for the Korean market.  The ones I sell were made specifically for the international market.  Also, I am available for help for the lifetime of the bow; good luck getting that from the eBay seller.  Some problem with the bow?  Good luck getting anything after 14 days with the eBay seller (I give up to three months).  As a matter of fact, I have helped people out who bought a bow from me years ago.  My price includes trackable international shipping to most countries.  If there is a bow, arrow, etc. that I cannot get for someone, I give them the info for another company that can help them.  Heck, I even have a forum where people can dump on my business, and I won't censor it...  roll

Out of the thousands of bows I have sold over the years, there have only been a handful of people who were unhappy with anything (including the price).

With all that said, YMG has not been producing bows for the past few months due to a business issue, but will be producing them again from sometime in December.  I will be doing some price restructuring after that.

Thumbs up +1

Thanks for the follow up info, Locomotive and Mr. Duvernay.  I think I'll end up getting a bow from Master Kim for now mainly for convenience (and this also makes buggin him for additional info on setting up bow strings and such easier).

Thumbs up

20 (edited by morton509 2016-11-27 17:04:33)

Bluelake.  I love my Hwarang and appreciate the fast and helpful service you provide.  Its the trust factor that I feel you provide.  Especially when purchasing a bow for the first time.  Its basically a sure thing.  You never really know what your gonna get from ebay.  And your a shooter and not just a seller, thats important to me.   The Hwarang is totally worth it.

Thumbs up +1

What Blue lake said is exactly why I chose to buy my SMG from Master Kim. I will have him as a resource and source of knowledge, I liked the idea of the YMG on eBay purely for price, but I was also wondering what the heck I would do if I ran into trouble, and was going back and forth between it and just spending a bit more and getting an SMG from Koreanbow.com or go cheaper and start with a Kaya from a large online bow shop. Maybe one day a Hwarang for me, because I really love the look of the natural wood and I think they are a lot prettier.

Thumbs up +1

I just joined this forum today, because I decided to get back into shooting, and felt guilty for repeatedly emailing bluelake directly with questions about my 5-year old Hwarang bow.

I haven't shot for the past 2 or 3 years but I remember breaking several plastic arrow nocks with the original string of the Hwarang. Obviously this resulted in a dry fire event every time it happened.

I never gave it much thought until watching several videos made by people on YouTube with broken KTBs.

I didn't do any comparison shopping  before buying my Hwarang, because, as a former salesman myself, I appreciate the value of exotic items acquired from a genuine authority on the subject.

Everybody wants a good deal and there will always be purchase options made to appear as bargains compared to the benchmark. At the end of the day - we only get what we pay for.

Thumbs up +1

23 (edited by Pedro C 2017-10-31 23:34:00)

It seems like those nocks may be too narrow for that string... they shouldn't be too tight.
Or maybe they partially slide off the string, the string should remain at the throat of the nock?

morton509 wrote:

Bluelake.  I love my Hwarang and appreciate the fast and helpful service you provide.  Its the trust factor that I feel you provide.  Especially when purchasing a bow for the first time.  Its basically a sure thing.  You never really know what your gonna get from ebay.  And your a shooter and not just a seller, thats important to me.   The Hwarang is totally worth it.

That sums up my experience 100%.

I did initially purchase an eBay YMG #60.  It was good for 15 months then snappo ! the belly broke clean in two ( pic below).
I sent it back for a report & possible repair but the maker said it was beyond fixing. 
Seller offered to resell me one at a reduced cost but I didn't have confidence to take that offer.

A few emails to Bluelake, aka Thomas & I was assured he had seen very few breakages in all the years he provided these bows.   I had a new Hwarang on the way in quick time.

Both bows are within 3 lbs draw weight but the Hwarang at 63# feels very different.  It doesn't stack but seems to come into it's power sooner.
Also my hunting weight arrows now seem too soft in the spine, which is fine as I'll just experiment with some lighter heads till I find the sweet spot. 

I'm really enjoying the new bow & as was said above,  "The Hwarang is totally worth it ".

Thumbs up +1