Re: can korean horn bows match turkish flight bows in flight archery

Well it is the 48", which might have something to do with it, and the heaviest poundage they offer which might as well. And yeah, drawing to 31". If you put the Hwarang, Kingdom, and Kaya up on the same bow rack, it is striking how similar they are in size appearing to differ only slightly in relaxed profile.

Thumbs up

Well AF Turkish is up. Not exactly the result I was expecting....... less than 70% efficient and only 200FPS. Draw weight is lower than the AF Tatar, the bow is a bit shorter, and yet they both have the same mass. If I had to guess where that efficiency was lost, it'd be in the heavier siyahs. This seems to be a theme with Turkish bows, why I don't know. The style just has a lot more mass above the top of the string. For what purpose, I can't fathom. This is something Korean bows seem to consistently get right. tongue

It is worth noting though that the AF Turk has drifted pretty far afield of the original Turkish design, even for a laminated fiberglass example. That low brace height means you couldn't shoot it with a siper and it stores more energy than it should. *shrug*

(Yes yes, I double posted, scold me)

Thumbs up

CTR wrote:

I think AF Archery lists it as 126cm string length and 130cm overall length. These Tatar bows they make are FAST, more reflex than all but my Kaya and spindly little thin Siyahs. I get the impression they're delicate as well. I have already popped one, longitudinal split straight up through the core and laminations because there is no wrapping above the grip. They replaced it, but talking with people it seems the general consensus is that "all" the Saluki style modern lam bows are delicate including the Mariners, laminated Alibows, and Salukis themselves.

I had an AF 50# turkish delaminate at the back thru the handle about a foot either side.  I don't know re their delicacy but the timber used had a rather open grain.  Poor choice of materials in this case IMHO.
On the positive side, it shot rather nicely whilst it held together big_smile

Thumbs up

Maybe that's why it performs the same as the solid glass one..

Pedro C wrote:

or outshoot them? In those polish flight records, the kaya and windfighter bows never seem to do very well, sometimes they're outshot by self bows. I wonder if it's because of the arrows used, the technique, draw length, or even the bows themselves (doubt it)...
????????

I always see Turkish bows being praised for flight archery, but not Korean bows, why? Just because Koreans just don't really do flight archery?

Hi Pedro, I did participate in those flight shooting events you are referring to. I'll kindly disagree with you on your statement. First of all, those Kaya bows use by my friends and myself weren't "tuned up" for flight shooting. By that I mean that the entire set up (string and brace height) stayed as it was when I bought the bow back in 2009. Some guys say I could have scored higher (334 m for 70lbs@32" and 420 grain arrow) with thin string - maybe, I don't know, I might try that next time. The arrow is very important as well as clean release. But I'm sure you know that very well. Anyway, still I think that 350 m is feasible. Would that be very far? By present standards certainly not. Not bad for a $150 bow, though:)

Thumbs up +3

After some thinking and correlation, I came to believe that a proper arrow is at least as important as the bow efficiency.
I mean not only weight and drag (diameter & fletching size).
Achieving greatest distances with a heavy arrow, as described, got me thinking.
And then I remembered my amateur rocketry times.
Those rockets usually look like short, fat arrows, but the ballistics are essentially the same, at least after burn-out.
And the magic parameter is the CoG - CoP distance, as it's usually called in rocketry.
CoG is the center of gravity (i.e. the centroid).
And Cop is the Center of Pressure, i.e. the point on the longitudinal axis where the aerodynamic forces equal out.
The CoG must be in front of the CoP, else the projectile is unstable.
CoG and CoP at one point would be meta-stable, i.e. the thing continues to fly on in any orientation you disturb it.
The distance between both points is a kind of "lever" the gravity and drag forces act on the projectile.
The larger the distance, the more stable, but the greater the "pull" of gravity on the tip.
The FOC is similar, but describes the centroid position in relation to the geometrical middle.
You can observe this effect on child "shooting" toys sometimes - if you shoot the fat, lightweight (foamed) projectiles angled upward, they just stop on apogee and drop down like dead. No pointing downward.

To come to the point - for flight shooting, you need a small CoP/CoG distance.
That means, small fletchings (which pull the CoP backward) and small tip weight (which pulls CoG forward).
And those properties seemed to be matched best with this old, heavy carbon arrow of mine.
But you need low wind, and a good technique, as the flight is less stable.

Not coincidentally, the Turkish flight arrows are like that.
Arrow tuning should have the most significant effect for traditionally style (Korean) bows.

Nothing really new, just a recap in more technical terms ...

Thumbs up

I have a #35 firefox and I can fling an arrow not optimized for flight archery to shoot way past 150m right now. I have done it several times and lost several arrows that way. Considering the record for #35 American Longbow (not even horsebows) division is 308.9m, the list above reflects more of the archers' skills, rather than the bows' performances. Besides it would be pretty embarrassing for Kaya to make a less performing bow than a pyramid or selfbow.

With that said, I do not know how Korean bows compare to Turkish flight bows. I'm curious myself

Thumbs up

With that said, I do not know how Korean bows compare to Turkish flight bows.

In theory quite easy.
Take both bows and one arrow, and measure the initial arrow velocity directly after the bow.
This gives you a measure of the bow's efficiencies. The rest is flight ballistics.
When the same arrow leaves the bow at the same angle, the higher the velocity, the greater the distance.

Flight shooting competitions take out the "scientific" approach, inserting individual bows, arrows, technique and shooting angle.
It wouldn't be a competition if it didn't ...  smile

BTW, I reached a maximum of 220m with my 40# Kaya KTB.
Much depends on the arrow, others reached only 170 .. 180m.

Thumbs up

I have a bow Kaya Windfighter 60lb and at the last competition in the Czech Republic (Skalanske vejce) I shot 261m. My record is 310m. Yes, the quality of the arrows is very important. I have bamboo arrows of my own production (split bamboo about 30 grams) and small feathers (pheasant).

Thumbs up +1